trying milk again tomorrow

edited October 2012 in Babies
We we tried whole milk a couple of weeks ago..only 2oz to her 6oz of bm. She puked it all back up within the half hour. I think tomorrow I will try only 1oz to her 7oz bottle so she has a total of 8oz. I am thinking of trying it with 2% instead of whole..just to see how she does with it. She will be one on the 8th of nov. I need to have her switched soon, because I am not producing much anymore..maybe a total of 6oz(at least that's how much I can pump) and I don't have much in the freezer either.

Comments

• Babies need that fat and calories in the whole milk. Or I've heard a lot of ppl use other milks- goats, almond...maybe look into that?
  • May I ask why 2% and not whole? Do you think she has a fat allergy?
  • @mama082711 yes I know that, thank you tho. Yea, if we can't get her to drink regular milk than we will be looking into other forms of it. I was just going to try my options first before going that drastic.
    @mijita I was going to see if it would be easier on her belly than the whole milk. I would eventually switch her to the whole milk. She didnt do well with the whole when we first tried and I thought maybe 2% would be easier for her to digest. Both daddy and I don't have an allergy, but didn't know with how she reacted to the whole milk if it was a reaction of some kind. I have drank milk the entire time I have been bf and she hasn't had any issues with that, it has been 2%(if that makes a difference).
  • My doctor said 2% was fine, the "experts" are 50/50 between that and whole milk. Madison likes 2% alot more than whole, do what you think is best mamma! Good luck!!
  • @kimberly4411 thanks! Hopefully she does better with this instead.
  • I honestly doubt it well make a difference, but it doesn't hurt to try. She may be lactose intolerant, but that would cause gas and abdomen discomfort; however, it's rare in infants. If she's allergic then it would be to the milk proteins, casein and whey. If she is then you most likely would have known by now if used a milk based formula. Babies that are breastfed have shown to be more resistant to milk allergies. Hopefully for you, it was just a one time occurrence, a fluke. Good luck!
  • edited October 2012
    Oh and if she does react to the milk, she may show an adverse reaction to goats milk as well, so be prepared for that.
  • Good luck!
  • Ollie always gets very bad painful gas with any dairy product. He does very well with fresh goats milk.
  • @mijita she is breastfed, I have been drinking milk the entire time and it hasn't affected her at all, like me having to cut it out of my diet. She was fussy after the milk, but wasn't gassy, she was fine after she puked. I think she doesn't go for the cows milk, we will probly look into the almond. Would the nonhormonal milk make a difference?
  • @sands3 thanks
    @ashley_smashley she does fine with cheese, we haven't tried yogurt tho. She's had the gerber yogurt before, but she didn't like it.
  • He used to be ok with dairy..in fact greek yogurt was his favorite...and then one day, like a light switch on, and he couldn't tolerate it.
  • In my professional opinion, I don't think it's the hormones. I may be wrong, but I've seen some strange allergies.

I'm guessing the milk was too rich and didn't settle well. If I remember correctly your LO was sick and that probably contributed to her up-chuck.

My girlfriend's daughter throws up anytime she doesn't like something, so your daughter may be the same. You'll soon find it. She started doing that at about 14 months.,
  • @ashley_smashley awe poor guy! Hope it doesn't last.
    @mijita she was not sick before that. She was fine, teething, but fine. She has had things before she didn't like and has never puked before. I guess it'll just be a trial and error process until we can figure out what is wrong.
  • @trixiesmom8 i know how stressful it is trying different milk..my daughter has milk and soy protein allergy since she was 3weeks old she on special formula neocate..i try whole organic Milk on her 4 months ago she got up to 4oz in her 6oz bottle and she throw up the milk..when she turns 3 years old im going to try lactose milk.. i hope it works for her
  • @mamafn3 awe poor girl! We only tried 2oz in her 8oz bottle. So I have yet to try it again..I'm nervous lol. I think I will try it again after her nap today but only with 1oz in a 7-8oz bottle, with 2% instead of whole milk.
  • Thankfully our local farm makes goat milk yogurt, so he still gets his fix lol!
  • How's it going with the milk today?
  • I decided not to do it this morning with her first bottle and was reminded I have to pick up my sister from school so decided not to do it after her nap in case she gets sick again, I don't want it in the car or anywhere else for that matter that isn't at home. So we will wait another day. @ashley_smashley
  • Probably a good idea! Hope it goes well!
  • @ashley_smashley thanks me too! Hope Oliver is doing well:-)
  • So we tried milk again today, only an 1oz to 5oz of bm. It was 2%. She is acting just fine, not like last time when her belly was upset. It was in her afternoon bottle, instead of her morning one. Hope it all stays down today.

@ashley_smashley
    @mijita
    Just thought I'd tag you guys for the update.
  • That's good that she took to it better today!
  • She has kept it down:-)
  • @lilliansmom yes it is, I am very happy. We will get her use to it and then get her onto whole milk.
  • @sands3 yes, I am so excited lol
  • Good! Lily is already on whole milk as of this week but still has a bottle of formula before bed that will be gone by her birthday as I'm almost out of formula and not buying anymore.
  • @sands3 & @lilliansmom well..she had the milk at 3:30 and I thought we were in the clear but at 6 she puked it back up. No more milk for her until we talk to her doc, ill probly just wait till her apt on the 13th. I hope she isn't allergic:-(