cloth diapers

• tryinghard19tryinghard19 November 2012

Day one is a huge success. Any advice from others is appreciated

BabyFruit Ticker

• ashley_smashleyashley_smashley November 2012

What do you need to know? :) I love CD!!

@nameless also CD!

Right now we just have a couple pockets. She loves them. But I would like the convenience of pocket with ease of all in ones. I kinda want to try all in twos. Ideas? @ashley_smashley

BabyFruit Ticker

• smcoxsmcox November 2012

I love ai! I hated pockets cuz I didnt like having to pull the urine soaked insert out to wash. We use Thirsties duo covers, flip covers and Grovia shells! Grovia are my favorite cuz I like the way they fit my lo. I use Thirsties stay dry duo inserts for everything cuz they work well for my heavy wetter. And we use fitteds with fleece covers at night.

There are a ton of b/s/t groups on facebook for second hand diapers, I buy a lot from them. Also if you look up hyena cart spots corner there are a lot of used diapers on there. Usually in pretty good condition. But if want to buy new sweetbottomsbaby.com has free shipping. There is one other site that does free shipping but I can't remember what it is. You also get points for every dollar you spend on sweet bottoms and get free gift certificates for their site.

@smcox I have a grovia and am not fond of the fit on Ollie. You interested in buying it

I like the pockets a lot. I am not a fan of the Ai1 or Ai2 ...but that's just me. I suggest you buy a couple different ones so you can see what you like. Sometimes people will resell a mixed lot, and that has lots of different things.

Www.diaperswappers.com has a for sale forum check them out! Also like smcox I am part of lots of buy/sell/trade forums on Facebook...if you are interested in getting added just let me know!

Most of my stash is used...it's a great way to start cloth diapering! Now I m slowly trading out my used dipes that I don't like for ones I really want. I am a huge bum genius and fuzzy bunz fan!

• Mrs4cMrs4c November 2012

\:D/ I love cloth!! We love Bumgenius Freetimes. They're aio. Not too bulky for aio.

I don't want to take over your thread...but this question might be helpful to you to @tryinghard19

Can you CD ladies share your wash routine? I think I need to switch mine up...I have got the stinkies and dingeies lol

• namelessnameless November 2012

I actually like my aios and pockets!

@ashley_smashley whats your route?

1st I wash hot, then cold, then hot..last wash I add detergent.. do a small rinse
    Soak over night sometimes
    but wanna get some rlr!

:-)

BabyFruit Ticker

@nameless you do 3 washes? Or is that hot wash cold rinse?

I normally do just one wash..hot wash cold rinse, with double rinse at end...I use 2 tbl of my cd soap....and it's been working but now, not so much. I read that occasionally you need to switch it up and try new things if it seems to stop working. I just did an overnight strip with blue dawn, now they are in the washer with calgon...hopefully that gets it going...

Ps we have a stupid HE front loader so it's a pain to do overnight soaks..I have to do it in the bath tub..

I do do 3 washes

• +Bahamamama4828 Bahamamama4828 November 2012

Cd addict here too lol.

"Midwives see birth as a miracle and only mess with it if there's a problem; doctors see birth as a problem and if they don't mess with it, it's a miracle!"--Barbara Harper
    Lilypie Breastfeeding tickers

O wow...maybe I should try that...do you use calgon? Don't you have hard water? @nameless

No.. I don't use it..
    I do the short washes..yes hard water I believe

Oh I use tide too

• I am considering doing cloth with my second, can u guys tell me the process for cleaning the soiled diapers? I was reading somewhere that u can use some kind of "spatula" to get the poop off but that doesn't sound too appealing to me.

I use a diaper sprayer. I spray into the toilet, then put the soiled diaper in the pail. Most of the time Ollie's poops are pretty solid, so I don't need the sprayer.. I thought the poop would bother me, but it really doesn't...to me it's no different than wiping my own butt lol. @excitedforoctober

I have bio liners

BabyFruit Ticker

I was using the liners, until I got my sprayer.

I dump the poop when I can.. I use an old dishsoap bottle..feel with water to spray off.
    If it doesn't come all off I just throw in the washer and it vomes right off w/out stainin or dirting the washer..

@ashley_smashley I'm really interested in those forums. Where should I go too

BabyFruit Ticker

@tryinghard19 if you friend me on facebook I'll add you to them all. My name is Sarah Michelle Cox.
    For wash routine I wash in hot water with tide original powder then another hot wash with no detergent to get all soap out. My son has sensitive skin. For poop I shake what I can in the toilet them rinse with the shower head in the tub. It's not as gross as I thought it was going to be. Honestly prefer it over a stupid diaper Genie that smelled the whole up stairs!

There are a couple girls with your name. Lol.

BabyFruit Ticker

@smcox found and added you.

BabyFruit Ticker

@smcox thanks!! Hope she gets lots of help!!

@Ashley_smashley no problem :) I'm all for educating people on cd'ing and making sure they have the knowledge and tools needed to be successful! Makes me sad when people quit cuz they don't have the right tools or support! Plus there are just so many chemicals in disposables I wish they would just be taken off the market....I know that would never in a million years happen, but a girl can dream! Lol

A girl can dream! My hubs was all for CD after I showed him what was in those disposables! @smcox

@Ashley_smashley mine too, my fil (who has been fighting me on cloth while he watches my son) refused to read or listen to what was in sposies....but was telling me once about crap that causes cancer and infertility in boys and I said oh you mean like disposables! He just looked at me weird and then said well breathing will kill you now a days too! All angry like lol what kind of Grovia do you have?

LoL sounds like my inlaws! I have a grovia AIO in the color surf...it's slightly stained..I am sure sunning will get that out, but here in Washington we haven't seen the sun in weeks... :( @smcox

• kansasmommakansasmomma November 2012

Hey fellow cd mommas!! I love cding! We have cloth diapered my dd for 14 months and we're building a nb stash now!! We love blueberries, ac's, amps and poo la la's!! The pll's are amazing fitteds!! We have tried tons of different brands, we love pockets, they are over all easier for all our family and simple for my hubby!

• kansasmommakansasmomma November 2012

Our wash routine is : warm warm rinse, hot cold wash with eco sprout then a warm cold rinse! We dry all the inserts and line dry everything else!

Lol we use ai2 and I live in Anchorage.. Not sure I get any more sun than you lol the sun currently rises around 930/10am and sets around 6pm. And typically cloudy all day :P @Ashley_smashley

• heyitsmeheyitsme November 2012

I would love to cd but the start up cost is just too much :( I know its cheaper in the long run but I just can't afford it up front

@heyitsme..Thats what i thought! BUT I was totally wrong..its only exspensive to start if you want to buy a full stash 24+ all at once along w/accessories
    They are surprislgy cheap..

• @nameless how much did it cost you to get started? I think i just want to buy a potty and try to train Lana in a few months.

First diaper I got was an anonymous sender.
    :)
    But I usually pay under $9 for a diaper But that's w/shipping.. But there are lots of groups including a local one if you want to be added?
    Even if you're gonna start pt soon... it's not to late..because I mean she's gonna be in diapers during the training time..
    Plus you can save for next child! Or resell!
    @MommyLovesSparkle

@Nameless wow really $9 a diaper? my lo is 13m so I will be potty training within the next year. hmmm. how many would you think I'd need?

I was good w/just 10..but you probably have to wash every day..I have 30+ so I don't wash everyday anymore
    @heyitsme

Ok now reading the posts about washing I now have a question. my washing machine has only 2 settings. warm and cold. no rinse or soak or anything fancy. I don't want to be hand washing so can I get away with my crappy washer? @nameless

When I soak.. I just leave the lid up on my washer over night.. so the water just sits there.. some people soak in the tub or sink..
    You can always rinse in the sink and wash warm in the washer.. then hang dry.
    @heyitsme

I have to soak in my tub since I have a front loader. But it works just as good! @heyitsme also nameless is right, it's super to cheap to start if you buy cheaper brands like Alva and Sunbaby, or if you buy used! I started out just buying enough for half a day...then I would buy one more, then another...and now I have 30! With that few you will have to do laundry daily...but soon you will have enough to do every few days! I love it!! Also if you get in on a co op you can sometimes even get new diodes for $4 or less a piece!!

It doesn't even stop when the lid is up!! p.o.s lol thanks @nameless I will look for local groups for cd. although I don't think I should buy used if I can't really strip them in my washer?
    sorry for hijacking your post @tryinghard19 :)

@heyitsme...strip in your bathtub! I love co-ops!
    I just hate waiting for a few weeks.
    Add me on fb and i can add you to some bst groups and co-op..once in, ask if there are local groups from where you live

Beatrice White

You can strip in your bath tub. Super easy! @heyitsme to turn your machine on do you turn the dual then pull the knob?

@Nameless I'm in Canada so I think I'd have to find groups closes to me :)
    @Ashley_smashley ok that might work and yeah turn dial and pull

No I mean if you have to pull the dial to start the machine, then wait until th washer is full of water then push the dial down to stop the cycle. @heyitsme

Hey you never know!! There's people who ship and sell from Canada all the time! @heyitsme

• Oh okay thank you @nameless

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Apply for Membership

Categories