What to do if baby starts to cry after feeding?

edited November 2012 in Formula Feeding
Well I cut down her ounces to 2oz sometimes 3oz and sometimes she will spit up a little milk. At times she will cry once the bottle is empty, I worry if I give her more she will just throw it up. Plus the pediatrician mentioned at the last check up she should be fed a little less since she's a little over the weight average for her age. Which I did give her less since last check up.

What should I do?
I tried that burping in between ounces doesn't really work.

Comments

• They r crazing saying a newborn is ovetweight =O feed her as mucj as she wants if she is crying after a feeding its bc she is still hungry!
  • Keep burping between ounces. Maybe she has reflux and needs to be given different formula also did u just take her off the breast?
  • I agree, she should eat until she's full.
  • @SalasMommy No she stopped breastfeeding a little over 2 months ago. Yeah I don't know how much is normal for her age she's going to be 4 months on the 18th.
  • at 4months old my little one was eating 5/6oz every 4 hours! but every baby is different! he was born at 42weeks and weighed 7lb 13oz! x
  • @denois That's pretty close to my daughter's birth stats did he grow a little over the average measurements too or what?
  • yeah until he was about 13months and then when he began walking he went back down to where he 'should' have been! then he lost weight because he was always so active! every baby is different and they should eat until they are full! at such a young age i think ita better for a baby to be over what the statistics say rather than not putting weight on or being under!
  • Feed that baby as much as she wants. I've never heard of a 4 month old being over weight. My 8 week old eats 4oz every 3-4 hrs during the day. He goes longer at night.
  • I agree wit all the ladies :) my kids have always been over average as infants all 3 of them my 1 year old still is they usually start to lose sum after they start walking.
  • 2oz is way too little for a 4 mo old, even 3oz is too little. Poor baby.
  • She is still hungry!!! Most babies spit up there really is nothing to be done for it. Try keeping her upright after feeding an start burping every ounce.
  • Try with 4 oz, if she it's still hungry bump to 4.5. my coworkers pedi told her that baby will spit up what's unneeded. Is she doing normal bowel movements? My coworkers baby spit up alot more when she is constipated. At 4 months levi was rating 4 oz, maybe 4.5. He is now 5m and up to 5-5.5. Have you tried other formula?does she seen fussy or gassy?
  • Sorry for the spelling errors. Too lazy to go fix them lol
  • @leviluv8 A little fussy but not gassy...everything else is pretty normal
  • My baby eats 4.5 oz every 3 to 4 hours. She will be 10 weeks on wen.Take a cue from baby on feedings they cry if they are still hungry. As for the spit up My little girl use to do that a lot but I burp her between oz and keep her sittinng up for 30 mins after she eats. She still spits up occasionaly but a bib is keep. Shame on the doc calling a baby over weight :-(
  • Tessa spit up all the time until she was one year old. Some babies just spit up more than others. But I agree with everyone else 2oz is not enough, she's crying because she's not satisfied.
  • Plus spit up looks like more than it really is. Take an ounce of formula & spill it in the table for reference if that would help.

I feed on a schedule, but always until baby decides s/he is full.
  • When my baby was 4 months old she was eating 7-8oz at a time. She is now 8 months old and is not tiny but not overweight
  • I wouldn't be listening to her dr. Babys at 4mths need more than just 2oz..that's why she's crying. Plus at 4mths she isn't overweight. My baby is 2 1/2 months and is just shy of 12lbs and 25inches long...and she's a perfect weight for her height. So more than likely your baby is her perfect weight for her height.
  • Oh wow. She's 4 months? Yeah, she's still hungry. My son was eating 4-5 oz at that age. My son was also 7lb13oz when he was born
  • Good. Don't feel bad we went thru the same problems when my son first came home. I had someone there to tell me that he wasn't spitting up that much and it was normal. The important thing is you found out right away and fixed the problem.@mylove2
  • edited November 2012
    I know thanks.. @char
  • I'm glad she feels better. Something i wanted to say is you can't always go on every single word your doctor says. Your her mother you spend all day with her your doctor don't so if something her doctor says don't seem right, go with your gut. Now I'm not saying don't ever listen to your doctor, I'm saying if something don't sound right go with your gut or get a second opinion.
  • edited November 2012
    @MommyLovesSparkle That's why I asked Pregly I knew I would get some good answers...
  • Awesome so glad she's doin better !