night terrors

edited November 2012 in Sleep
I think that Xavier has been having night terrors. He wakes up screaming and i have a really hard time calming him. Last night it went on for three hours. Want to see if anyone had any experience or advice.

Comments

• Bump. My son hasn't had them *knock on wood* but my friends son had them and all they could do was rock him and pat his back til he calmed down. Sorry I'm no help but hopefully someone will have some advice for you!
  • @musicmomma thanks. For thethe bump at leasrt.i'm at a total loss. It happens a couple times a week but last night was the worst we'd get him calmed and ten minutes later he was up.did your friends son grow out of them. I just thinks he's so little to being have night terrors what can a fifteen month old be so scared of.
  • Everyone thinks Lauren is going through it. She use to be a great sleeper, but going on 3 months now wakes up 3-4 times a night screaming and nothing calms her for over an hour. I'm losing it. Sorry I have no advice. I've tried soooooo many things.
  • How old is ur little one? Two of my kids have night terrors. Just google it and all kinds of info will pop up. It's a very interesting thing. It sucks but know its just normal for some children. Doesn't mean anything is wrong w ur child.
  • @mrs4c if you find anything that works for you please let me know.@mommyof3girls he is 15 months it just hard because i work so not getting any sleep is ruff. Was there anything that worked for comforting them. Did you mention it to the doctor i think i might bring it up at his next appointment.
  • Draven will wake up screaming, crying, and confused. Holding him doesn't help much at first, but I just rock him with my arms around him and hum little songs and he calms down and goes back to sleep. He's 17 months old!
  • @mrsstanley_x2. how often does it happen with him and what age did it start? That is also what we were doing but the other night i would get him calm put him back down and ten mintues later he was screaming again.
  • edited November 2012
    How old is your lo? My son is 13 mths and he's been waking at night these past 2 days. I got this email from babycenter not sure if this is why he's waking though. At first I thought it was his molars bothering him but it might be a combination of that and having night terrors.
    http://www.babycenter.com/6_your-13-month-old_5906.bc?scid=mbtw_post13m&pe=MlV6TkhYOXwyMDEyMTEwMw
  • @juliansMommy he's 15 months i'm on my phone right now (i'm at work really shouldn't be playing on my phone lol) i'll take a look at the link when i get home.it seems to happen a couple times a week the other night i thought someone stabbing him it was horrible i hope we all find something that works for us or this faze ends soon for all of us.
  • How's his diet? I know a big factor for night terrors is artificial food dyes esp red.
  • I had night terrors growing up and @bahamamam4828 is right any red dye was a trigger for me. The docs also recommended to my mom to make sure once I was asleep that there was no light or any sound in my room (night light,tv,radio or noise machines) they told her that in some kids the light or sound will make it so that the brain does completely shut down while in rem sleep and hearing or seeing things can in a way mess with the brain...if that makes any sense. When going in to comfort the child there should be little light and not much sound. The combination of eliminating red dye and keeping my room quiet for the most part solved my problems. I suffered from them until about the age ten. Still to this day get very scary vivid nightmares if I fall asleep anywhere but my bed in complete dark and silence. (In front or the tv, driving in the car..just any place different) all you can do is try to pin point los triggers. I pray it gets better for you....if there is anything I can do for you let ne know! I'm no doc but I've been through it lol
  • What do you do if her room is pitch black with no noise and she also is only on formula and green beans for a,diet because of food sensitivities?? She's 13 months and has been waking up every night 3-4 times a night with what everyone thinks is night terrors. @coltensmamma

• It's been going on
    3 months now with no break ever. Not even one night. She use to sleep 10-12 hours at night every night.
  • @bahamamama4828 i will definetly look into the red dye we do alot of those toddler meals during the week cause he's in an in home daycare and i provide his food. I will look to see if there is red dye in any of them.@coltensmomma thank you we do put him to bed at night i usually lay with him till he falls asleep,but we do use a night light maybe i'll try not using it for a couple night. Since it seems to be hit and miss when he has them. It might take a little bit to figure out if it helps. I appreciate all your input all the sugguestion are helpful. I was at a total loss so at least now i have somewhere to start.
  • I just saw this! Sorry :/ he started about 10 months old and got so bad it was nightly. It's much less often now. Still breaks my heart. Oh! I'm in Phoenix now :)
  • edited February 2013
  • May sound silly but get a dream catcher and hang it over her crib. Cory had them bad his whole life and his mom sent me one for him and one for our daughter because she started having them. I shit you not the only time he has them now is if he falls asleep on the couch and Alanah sleeps straight threw the night now. Its worth a shot and they are cheep and if it doesnt work at least it looks cool lol
  • @Stella my lo is 18 and still has them once in awhile she would get unresponsive but seem wide awake it would scare me and when she would calm down hours later and fall asleep u couldn't move her or else she start. Again we know we can't give her milk to late Cuz when she gets a tummy ache she is like that too but now its only once in awhile
  • I totally forgot about dream catchers!! We are still struggling nightly.
  • @mrsStanely_x2 we have to try to get together.@hupe23_1 i will try the dream catcher removing the night light didn't help and i can't dind any of the food i:m giving him that has red dye. I glad that i posted to find that i'm not rhe only one having these issues. I waswas feeling likei an awfulin parent.I hope we all find a solution
  • Do you have facebook? :)
  • @MrsStanley_x2 yes my name is christina Auker-Smith and my e-mail is stella098@ymail.com
  • I had them... it was like waking up not being able to move and when I finally could I freakedout... its awful :( I hope my son doesn't start
  • @maymommy2011 i hope your lucky enough that he doesn't get them i wouldn't wish this on anyone
  • Has anything helped yet? Lauren is still having them every night.
  • @mrs4c nope have checked food for red dye taken out the night light still waking up screaming a couple times a week. Still going to look into the dream catcher.
  • My oldest (20 yrs old) and 2nd youngest child (8 yrs) get night terrors really super easy. I've been dealing with this for years and have learned a few coping skills.

No food or drinks within an hour before bed. Drinks don't include milk.. I mean like high sugar drinks.

No loud music, action pack movies or activities within an hour before bed either. Allow some down time.

Also no red dyes, caffeine and meds before bed.

Create an hour of downtime..

Low lights
    Bath time
    Low music
    Reading (in a low voice)

I found that when the TV plays or I'm talking or on the phone while in the same room and the kids are sleep it feeds the brain as well

Turn everything off.