what age did u stop swaddling baby?

edited November 2012 in Babies
My 3 month old loves to sleep in her swaddle evey night..what age is it not safe for baby not to sleep in swaddle

Comments

• I don't know when's its no longer safe but I think my son was 5-6 months when he no longer wanted to be swaddled.
  • I stopped swaddling at like 4-5 months and it was only because he outgrew the swaddle blankets.
  • I tried like 3 times, but I'm no pro. Co-sleeping was and is much easier. lol
  • My lo was about 4-5 I figured once she started pulling her arms out it was time, I woke up one night and checked on her she had wiggled loose and had it up to her face almost covering it and it scared me so we started tucking her in on all sides untilled she started kicking alot in her sleep
  • My daughter is 6 wks and I only wrap her from her armpits down and keep her arms free
  • I just slowly stopped once she started getting her hands out of it I no longer made it as tight then I would just kinda have our around her that way it's easy transition and didn't effect her sleep. And from them on she just likes to have a little blinky to hold. All this was before she could turn over or anything. I think u can't really go past that age they will probably be uncomfortable but it's not dangerous so don't stress too much about it.
  • My son was about 5 months when we stopped. He had a hard time sleeping without it but he was rolling over so it was no longer safe.
  • At my oldwork. We have to stop at 16 weeks. However at my current work we can't at all.
  • We stopped around 6 months bc she out grew the swaddlers lol
  • And I ALWAYS swaddled arms in which they say not to do
  • @sands3 @Frantastic @caroline8_p @lilloulou @2600wifey @jules @smcox @LeviLuv8 @kenzie0713

I read swaddling baby past 3or 4 months at night don't get enough exercise..all that nighttime movement helps them enhance their gross motor development like crawling,standing and walking.
    a swaddled baby doesn't refine these skills at night.... DO you think this is true?
  • It might be... I'm not sure I think Scarlett wasn't swaddled by then. By then she already knew how to get out and she was turning over so I stopped. I think personally of your lo is getting out of it then they no longer need it. Bc if you think about we do it in the first place to help them feel comfortable since they are used to not having much room so at first it makes them feel must comfortable :)
  • I'm sure it varies by child. My son started to try to crawl at 5 months and mastered it by 6/7 (i don't remember) and took his first steps at 8 months and could full on walk by 10 months. So I don't think it slowed anything down for him.
  • With my daughter she always has been very active, crawled at 7 months, said her first word @ 7 months and walked at 10 months but if she was not swaddled tightly she found her hands to be a toy and would not sleep at all and I personally would have to say that I disagree with that but you never know.
  • @everyone Thank you ladies... i think I'll stop swaddling her when she's uncomfortable
  • I don't know my lo was crawling at 6 months and walking at 8 to 9 months I just stopped swaddling when she started moving her arms more
  • Madison liked to be loosely swaddled in a blanket up until 12 months, it was a security thing i think, we'd just swaddle her to feed her then lay her down, by morning the she'll usually be on top of the blanket
  • I just know the health nurse at my work said it's a health hazard after 16w. At my old work that is, my current job we are not allowed at all.
  • @LeviLuv8 good to know my baby is 13weeks I'm going to slowly stop swaddling her at night