napping in the crib

edited November 2012 in Babies
Any ideas on how I can get my lo to take naps in her crib? She does well at night and has been sleeping in it since she was about 4m old. She will be 13m on the 8th. Right now she is taking her naps in her infant car seat..I tried letting her fall asleep in it and then moved her into the crib and she woke up and wouldn't lay back down, so instead of fighting with her, I put her back in her seat. She will sleep 2-3 hours. I hope when we switch her she will take just as good naps.

Comments

• My lil one is the same way sleeps in the car with in 5 min she will pass out but at home in a comfy bed she wont unless I'm holding her to wear she can't kick out cause it is a chore she will stay awake all day from 9 to 10 or 11 at night till her dad. Gets off work
  • @lilloulou glad I'm not the only one. At night she nurses to sleep and I would try that at nap time but she gets oatmeal and fruit right before she goes down so that's too much for her belly. The only thing is that obviously its dark at night and brighter during the day, but I'm at a loss for why that would make a difference.
  • The only thing I can say is pick the day(s) u want to take on the fight, and don't give in. Mine didn't nap for a few days bc I wanted him in his crib. In fact he didn't sleep at all until exhaustion took over.
  • @char yea..I have a feeling that is what I'll be doing. I'm just not good with her crying it out.
  • I had to fight with mine for a week for him to nap in his bed. You just have to stick to it and they cry A LOT!
    I would nurse him to sleep, lay him in his bed and he would wake up screaming as soon as he touched the mattress. It was a rough week of both of us crying.
  • @brookiesbaby ugh..that is so not what I wanted to hear lol. I don't handle her crying she's got me wrapped around her little finger & she's got daddy right there with me.
  • You could try getting black out curtains so it is dark at nap time too. We live in Alaska so during the summer it's vital to make it dark in the room anyway lol we can't afford curtains so we have foil on the window and then I put pretty gift wrap paper in top of it so it's not so ugly. Lol but if theres light mine won't sleep either. But, his crib is the ONLY place he will sleep. I can't go anywhere at night or during his nap time other wise he won't sleep.
  • @smcox i thought about that, but she sleeps just fine, just not in her crib..so I guess it'll be trial and error for a few days to figure it out.
  • Just be consistent. Hang in there.
  • Oh no I didn't mean cio I actually got him up every time he cried. It was horrible bc neither of us slept for a couple days. It was a battle of wills if he wanted to sleep he had to do it in his crib.
  • @brookiesbaby yep..I def will be.
    @char she sleeps fine at night in her crib, its nap time we are having problems with.
  • edited November 2012
    I had the same problem as you but lily was still sleeping in her swing but I did what @char said and took my weekend off and just didn't give in and she has been sleeping in her crib for naps since
  • @lilliansmom yea, I will have to do that. I'm just not very good at not giving in lol.
  • @trixiesmom8 i haven't given lo a boob in a week yesterday I check to see if I still had milk, And I do. So guess what I did last night when he started coughing.
  • Well today I tried to put her in her crib for nap time, since I have to next two days off. She didnt want to lay down. So I was holding her trying to rock and she wasn't having that either. I fought with her for like 20 minutes and then gave in, cause we were getting no where. Idk how I'm going to do this. She laid down for like 5 seconds and let me rub her back like at bed time, but then she wanted to stand and play. No luck of here today!!
  • Oh man...sometimes I literally almost pin her down and put my hand on her hip so she cant flip over to stand and she gives up after a couple minutes and starts cuddling her stuffed elmo and slowly closes her eyes.
  • Lol not Trixie..she just gets pissed she can't move and starts screaming like I've killed her @lilliansmom
  • Haha she really doesn't want to nap in that crib!
  • @lilliansmom no, she doesn't!! Lol
  • @lilliansmom she is sleeping in her crib as I type. Only an hour and 20 minutes of trying...I'd the last 20 minutes of her actually fighting and crying, that's because she was tired.
  • Have you tried just putting her in there and walking out? When Tessa gets really sleepy I just put her in the crib with a soft book or toy and she just plays til she passes out lol.
  • I did put her in her crib as I sat on the floor, at first. She laid down for like a minute and she would get up and play quietly. I would walk out, but I don't like to let her cry it out and also the lady upstairs works 3rd shift so I don't want my lo keeping her up. @starrxoxo9
  • Oh I didn't realize she starts crying..
  • Yes, she doesn't like to be left alone in any room. She has been napping in her carseat for about 2 months now. Today was the first day of trying to get her to sleep in the crib. She does well at night, just not during the day. She slept for almost 2 hours. @starrxoxo9
  • Hmm that's tough. Tessa used to only nap on the couch but it got to be ridiculous because you had to sit there with her and not make a move or a sound lol. So I just decided she needed to be in her room and it took a while sometimes I'd sit andhold her for 45 mins just to get a 30 min nap out of her lol. Now she's pretty good about going in the crib and putting herself to sleep but it definitely wasn't an easy road. I guess the key is to just be persistent.
  • @starrxoxo9 she slept for almost 2 hours which has been the best nap in about a week. Yepp, now if I can get hubby to do it too the next two days when he is home with her.
  • That's awesome she napped in her crib! The key is to not give in and make sure anyone watching her is doing the same thing. I hope she keeps it up for you!
  • edited December 2012
    2 hours is a awesome nap too! Lily never naps longer than 1 hour very rarely can I get a 2 hour nap out of her
  • Yes I was very pleased. Hubby said he will try and I know he will, so hopefully she doesn't throw to much of a fit for him. She would've slept longer if we didn't have some place to go, I had to wake her up. She has always taken a 2-3 hour nap and lately it had only been like an hour to an hour and a half. I'm glad we got our long naps back @lilliansmom