Coconut Milk

edited December 2012 in Food
Anyone give their lo coconut milk instead of cows milk? My lo couldnt handle cows milk. It caused her constipation and vomiting. We went back yo formula and now were doing coconut milk throughout the day. My question is, how much should she drink of it in a day. I noticed the caloric intake isn't that high with coconut milk.

@mijita any advice from you?

Comments

• @Bahamamama4828 & @ashley_smashley
    Can help

I do sometimes w/Kayla.. but she's still drinks breast milk
  • still trying to switch my son how does ur baby like the milk
  • I had a similar problem with whole milk. Since i switched to coconut she's doing great. I still give her formula tho but i give her about 4 oz of coconut milk a day (were just starting out.)
  • Yep Ollie is lactose intollerant. We do coconut milk, almond milk, goat milk and hemp milk...lol depending on what's in sale.
  • edited December 2012
    The tag didn't come through, sorry.

Whole milk is classified a complete protein, in that, it provides all the essential amino acids your body needs. Secondly it provides essential fat needed for brain development up until she 2. Lastly, whole milk is fortified and provides vitamins and minerals, especially calcium and vit. D.

Coconut milk (raw), is usually excessively high in calories due to the high fat content. There is much debate about the fat in coconut milk and it being good or bad for you. With my background in dietetics and nutrition I would personally refrain from feeding excessive amounts of saturated fat to MY child. You can always do research and come to your own conclusion. Liquids that are calorie dense tend to fill easily and it is easy to over consume, which can cause your child to not eat table foods efficiently. Coconut oil is a good source of fiber and iron and is low in sodium.

Given that your toddler only needs about 16 oz of whole milk a day, you can get these nutrients in a well rounded diet. However, it takes larger quantities and toddlers usually eat little, portion wise. This is why whole milk is recommended. If you introduced whole milk too fast or giving your LO too much it can cause constipation. I hope I answered your question.