croup & upper repository :'(

edited December 2012 in Babies
Just got out of the er because my 13month old was having a horse cough and bark- like weezing sounds, leaky nose, congestion, fever, and in pain.. came out diagnosed with croup and an upper repository. :( my poor baby is miserable ! They gave her some oral dexatron or something and said it will start working at 4 hours and lasts until 48 hours then croup should be done with then ill just have to deal with her having an upper respiratory and let it run its course (with tylenol of course.) Not to mention were still unpacking because we moved into a new house today. Any advice to help us get through this? I'm so sad for her and exhausted myself but I know God will lead us in the right direction.

Comments

• edited December 2012
    I'm.l sorry your baby is sick :-( I just went thru something similar with our 14 month old Nov 9th Dr thought it was croup 3 days ago its now walking pneumonia...just watch it, our daughter showed signs of improvement but then stopped sleeping after like 10 days got super cranky and then three days ago woke up wheezing and coughing out of nowhere.
  • ^like she said, watch her. Croup is usually the worst at night. My oldest somehow ended up w croup every yr. she would always have the worst cough from it right when she woke up. It can b scary stuff. :( I hope ur poor little baby feels better SOON.
  • My lo had croup tgis year too and was in the er for breathing treatment and steroids. They say steamed vathroom and night cold air helps when they have a big cough attack at night. It is very scary but just comfort them and your already giving your lo the right medicine. Its always much much worse at night so dont panic. Our lasted a good week before he started getting better.
  • @kenzie0713 oh wow! I'm so sorry for your lo too :( I'll keep a close eye on her. How is your lo doing now?

@mommyof3girls that's crazy i wonder how she gets it every year,Poor kids :( your right its super scary stuff when i heard her last night i freaked out and ran to the er.. i even forgot my diaper bag. Which i don't EVER do.

@babyhope7 how old was your baby when it happened? Was the croup really bad when they gave your lo breathing treatments? I know about the cold air that's crazy though I've never heard of cold air to make a virus better but I'm happy it does because the air here is pretty cool but not too cold.
  • My lo was 11 min. He only got a breathing treatment one time when we took him to ER in the middle of the night when it got bad. At night when your lo starts coughing and cant catch their breath, bundle them up really warmly and take them ouy for 5 mins. The cold air helps open up the airway. Or steam up your bathroom and have them sit there... but this didnt work for us, the warm bathroom just made him more agitated.
  • She seems to be improving with the meds and inhaler :-)
  • @babyhope7 I'm going through it now as we speak. I took her outside 3times and it helped her on that minute but now she's back to coughing and when she does fall asleep my bd won't stop snoring!!!!!!! Grr.