toddler meals

edited December 2012 in Babies
Ok..my daughter doesn't stomach cows milk well, but can handles dairy products at least cheese and butter, have yet to try yogurt.

She currently has a double ear infection so she hasn't been taking a bottle, but once she is better we will be trying to transition her onto soy milk.

What do I give her for lunch? Also how can I incorporate all the vitamins and stuff that she won't be getting through whole milk? Is Greek yogurt ok to give her? I know we will have to try because of dairy, but I didnt know if it was better than regular yogurt. Trying to make sure she gets all of those nutrients.

@mijita since you are nutritionist maybe you can shed some light on my question.

Comments

• Makenzie doesn't stomach cows milk either. I tired regular yogurt and it was a mess. She can handle the gerber yogurts though.
  • @mallory27 I have tried the gerber ones and she didn't like it. She took about 2 bites and was done. So do you give her soy milk?
  • Greek yogurt is better than regular. Its has about tiwce as much protein. Put a sliver of garlic in both her ears to clear up the ear infection. I did that with my 16 month old and it cleared his up in 2 days
  • She is on amoxicillin for her ear infections @ericak22 that's what I thought. So I guess I will try some tomorrow and see how she does, just a little worried with the whole diary thing lol. She seems to do well with everything else dairy just not milk...so hopefully it'll be fine.
  • I meant that's what I thought about the yogurt.
  • edited December 2012
    My daughter eats regular yogurt, but LOVES Greek yogurt. I try to give her the Greek yogurt when she has an off day of eating because of the protein in it.
  • @morgdeebee what kind of regular yogurt do you get..yoplait?
  • I get the kids yoplait they are in little containers usually Dora or mikey mouse.
  • My son doesn't do well with whole milk either but can eat all other dairy, which is kinda weird to me, except cheese he can eat it but doesn't really lime it! Anyway my point is I was giving him soy milk but I was researching about it and I found soy milk actually causes more hormones whiches increases the age of puberty. Im not saying its a fact just what I saw we now use rice milk and he does EXTREMELY WELL!!!!!!! just iyr experience.
  • My LO and I split a Greek yogurt daily. Lots of protein!
  • Greek yogurt is great. The main nutrients found in milk can be found on other milk products. If your LO does well with other milk products then I doubt she has a milk protein allergy, she is most likely intolerant.

The reason many people who have a milk intolerance can eat other sources of milk products is because the milk sugar, lactose is fermented into lactic acid and takes on a different form. Their bodies no longer have to compete with digestion of milk sugars.

I say try goats milk. I think maybe your LO was just overwhelmed with the amount given to her. Start with a couple ounces at a time.
  • @mijita I had only given her 2oz of whole milk and 1oz of 2% and she puked both times. We haven't been able to see how she does with the soy because she's had a double ear infection and has been refusing to drink from a bottle. So I know the amount wasn't too crazy. I will try the yogurt today and see how she does. Thank you for the info about all the milk stuff. I cooked with it the other day and she ate it just fine, so idk.
    @ynvtish that's awesome! I think that's what I will do today.
    @Angela1990 thanks! I've done tons of research myself. Her doc recommended we try it and then in a few months try cows milk again once her stomach matures a little more and gets use to all the food.
    @morgdeebee ok thanks, I'll look for those. Do they come in like a 4 pack?
  • Yup they are in 4 packs.
  • I know you're talking about dairy, but if you're looking for other super foods, one I'd recommend is hemp hearts. Lots of protein and easy to hide in all sorts of food!
  • @morgdeebee ok thanks.
    @natashalynn what are those? I've never heard of those.
  • They're the inner part of a hemp seed, they're small and soft, and kind of have a nutty flavor to them, silimar to a sunflower seed, but they have tons of protein in them. I mix them with her yogurt, eggs, oatmeal pasta saucejust about anything. And I put them in my own smoothies too.
  • @natashalynn ok thanks..I will have to look into them. I'll have to probably them from like whole foods instead of the regular grocery store, right?
  • I'm not sure to be honest. I bought mine at Costco, and I've seen them at regular grocery stores around me, but I'm in Canada. It might ve different in the states.
  • @natashalynn oh ok thanks! I'll keep an eye out for them.
  • So the Greek yogurt was a no go for the lo but I loved it lol. Maybe she will take better to the regular yogurt.