New Members

edited December 2012 in About App & Forum
So, many of us have commented that pregly could use some new members (let's face it, as much as the 12 of us love each other we're all kinda sick of each other...jk...but the forum has gotten a bit slow). Anyway, one of the many products of my insomnia was an idea on how to get new members while avoiding some of the pitfalls of open registration. Idk if the ap has the technical capacity to do this; it may take some coordinating between mod & potential new member. What if new members had to be sponsored by an existing member? Existing members could sponsor any number of new members. But, if a specified number of 1 person's sponsees were banned that person either lost sponsorship privilege or got banned his/herself...like a 3 strikes you're out rule. New members would have a probationary time before being allowed to sponsor. Idk if this has been suggested yet, but it might work!

@moderator would something like this be possible?

Comments

• It sounds like a good idea. I honestly wouldn't sponsor anyone, just because i wouldn't like to be held accountable for someone else's activity in the forum... but that's just me.
    Do you think moderator and Martin would be open to something like this? It would be nice to have more people around just to expand the Pregly circle a little.
  • edited December 2012
    @perly idk about how the mod or Martin would feel about it. It may be a lot of extra work for the mod if there isn't a feature to add a new member at a time (so they would have to coordinate with new member to open registration just long enough for the person to sign up and delete anyone who happened to squeeze through). I don't really know anyone who wants to be a member...but I think others might. As far as being accountable for the actions of others, the 3 strikes rule would give people some leeway for bad judgment. If everyone sponsors 2 people and 1/2 get banned, we still get a few new members!

Totally off topic, but are you from the U.K.? (My friend and I are talking about planning a trip to Cardiff...we're huge dr. Who and torchwood fans...and I want some input)
  • Well hopefully they can approve something along those lines :)
    I guess the whole being accountable for someone else is really just me. I don't think i know anyone i'd want to sponsor. But hopefully the rest of the ladies will have more ideas to start bringing some new members.

Im not from the UK :(
    I live in the states. Sorry.
  • y isn't the forum open any ways
  • I love the idea... But few members that remain have had duplicated accounts pretending to be other people and one or two are falsifying stories and information.. just sitting back waiting for them to slip up ... Just like the dad that had cancer that was on here.

Before opening the forum I think @Martin needs to add a sync option so that everyone has to tie their account into their Facebook account.... It should sync to your location like all other apps. Even tho you can still lie at least there's a liittle less of a chance.
  • I honestly don't like this idea :( i wouldn't want to get banned for someone else's actions that i obviously can't control. I also see it as being a whole lot of work for Martin rearranging the site to put more work into it. Maybe open registration every 1st of every month or so and close it on the 3rd?
  • If the site gets linked to facebook I'm out, because I don't have one.
  • @YNVTish i have been thinking the same!

New members would be nice but im thankful for the ones we do have
  • @ynvtish i was gone for all the latest drama. What happened to the dad with cancer? I was thinking about him.
  • @angel26 he was a liar and a fat mouth! Lol
  • @ynvtish I like that idea!!! Although, people could create fake fb profiles for the purpose of an additional pregly account. The way I was thinking about it was if a person sponsors three people all of which are that person making fake accounts, and that person starts drama with the accounts getting each one banned then that person looses sponsorship rights and has no more opportunity to create fake accounts.

@mommylovessparkle Nobody would be required to bring in new members. It would just be an option for existing members to bring friends/family into the pregly community. Maybe instead of the sponsor getting banned, they just loose their sponsorship rights?

@doodles I hope I didn't come off as ungrateful!!! I just thought it would be nice to spice things up a bit!!!
  • @Math_Mommy no, no not at all, I was just saying im happy pregly is still open for those of us that are here:-)
  • @kimalee2288 you don't have to have a Facebook page. It would just be an option if you had a Facebook page that you can sync. Like @YNVTish said most apps have the Sync to Facebook option, but you don't have to have you, you can also sign in or sign up without a Facebook account.

I don't like idea of being held accountable for other peoples actions. Everyone here is an adult and I don't want to baby or mommy my friends. So that means I won't be sponsoring anybody.
  • Agreed :) pretty darn slow here :(
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • I have been around since February 2011. Lurker until it was open in September of 2011. I just never really post much, I will try to get better.
  • There are only 12 of us on here? lol
  • Or give nonactive accounts to new members.
  • I've slipped into lurker mode. I've been so busy that I rarely have time to make posts or respond, I just do a lot of reading. It doesn't help that my phone is broken.
  • @angel26 ... Girl you missed it all. Mr Daddy or whatever his name was lied about the house he lived in. One of our pregly sisters found the property listing on the net. If you had seen this house... OMG.. It could have been on MTV cribs. Also he claimed he had cancer, but when a few of our pregly sisters asked him questions... Nothing added up! Also he was just too damn needy to be realistic. He always looked for sympathy regarding how his wife would treat him. Nothing added up.

I think many of us wanted to speak out and say... FOOL STOP LYING, but out of respect we didn't.
  • The sad thing @Math_Mommy.. with all the latest drama going down, I don't think @Martin would consider opening the forum. If we can't behave with a closed forum, OMG... An open forum would be a mad CrAzY house.
  • @YNVTish - lmfao @ "fool stop lying"...hahaha Yeah I never felt sympathy for him because I knew he was a lying ass....
  • @ynvtish oh, ii guess i fell for it. Lol. I felt bad. Minus the house, it was to perfect for 3 kids to live there. And wasnt he saying his marrige was over? Lol.
  • Um...has anyone even seen @moderator recently? Are we flapping in the wind without a parachute?!?
  • @ashley_smashley I only pop up as needed. :)
  • @mallory27 yeah, I have a propensity for exaggeration

@ynvtish I've often wondered what kind of civil or criminal laws exist where Martin could be held responsible if he were to just let the forum be with no moderation...or would he just feel ethically responsible if the bullies and hyenas actually hurt someone?
  • Ok just making sure you didn't desert us!! @moderator
  • I wonder how Mama_Kat and HomeBirthAdvocate are doing? I miss them