Question about Autism

I have 2 cousins with Autism (they are siblings). I have always wondered what causes Autism and if its genetic. I've never had my questions answered because my family doesn't like to touch the subject, they see it as one of those things that just happen and that's it.

Im curious, is this genetic? And can a doctor determine this during pregnancy?

Comments

• I don't think they really have an answer for what actually causes autism. Many think its environmental, many believe its caused from all the junk they put in vaccinations... I think it's still pretty much a mystery.
  • It is still unsure whether genetics or enviornmental factors or a combination is the orgin of autism. There are certian genetic disorders though that can present autistic characteristics though such as fragile x, and my experience as a special ed techer, it does seem like parents of my some of my students can also display undiagnosed autistic tendencies and others do not. It is a very interesting disorder and a mystery i hope is solved soon.

And then there is the whole spectrum of functioning that is so different in every kid...
  • Autism at school is diagnosed through some standardized academic, and intellectual assessments and lots of observations of behavior...social skills, rituals and habits etc. Nothing at this point during pregnancy and usuallu not for a few years of life.
  • I read something a few years ago that was saying some scientists/Dotors think that everyone might be a little bit autistic. I haven't heard anything on it since but I could see that.
  • Ok, the reason i asked is because i was asked during my first trimester screening and the doctor told me that Autism was not genetic, so they couldn't check for that. Then last night, when reading up on it, it said that Autism starts when the brain cells do not develop correctly or something like that. It all also said that genes cause the brain cells to not develop like they should.
    I have a few disabled cousins on both sides of my family, and it worries me not to know if my baby will be ok or not. I would like to be more prepared if my baby needs special care. I guess somethings we aren't meant to know when we want too.
  • You can't really prepare for autism bc it normally doesn't show major signs until after the child is a year old. Its kinda hard to prepare for most disabilities ya know. Every disability is different for so many. Don't stress!