Episiotomy Question...

edited December 2012 in Labor
Im 20 weeks pregnant with a baby boy. I don't know why, but today when i was wondering what my labor would be like, i thought of how painful it might be to have an episiotomy and now Im scared :(
Help! Lol. Did anyone have an episiotomy or did you rip on your own? What does it feel like after giving birth and on a scale from 1-10 how bad is the pain? I don't handle pain very well so Im freaking out.
Any suggestions @homebirthadvocate?

Comments

• They give you medicine that numbs it to spray on it for a few days after birth. If you want to avoid it try perineal stretching. Hba can explain that better than me! lol I've noticed the after pain is different for everyone, so hopefully yours won't be too bad. :)
  • I had both, the episotomy was ridiculous and unnecessarily done took 25 stitches to close, I listened to my body and went with how I felt with my second and only naturally tore enough for 2 stitches
  • I had one wit my first baby I couldn't tell that much of a difference really then wit my 2nd an 3rd wen I didn't have one
  • Well I didn't have either I got lucky but I was going things to get ready so I wouldn't tear so for me I was pretty normal after I had my daughter. Everyone is different I was scared before as well but no matter what everybody gets through it and your going to enjoy your baby soo much you won't even focus on that :)
  • I tore on my own only enough for 1 or 2 stitches, don't exactly remember but it didn't hurt me at all, I was up and about like nothing. Hoping I get as lucky with my second birth.
  • My first was almost 10 pounds and I tore all up AND had an episiotomy AND ended up with a huge hematoma. The episiotomy was nothing compared to all of the tares and hematoma.... All of which might have been avoided if I had just agreed to the episiotomy right away.
  • The hospital where I deliver and my Dr office doesn't believe in doing them, they would rather a natural tear for healing purposes
  • With my first I had an episiotomy, 2-3 stitches. I felt nothing. No pain.
    With my second I ripped. I dont know how many stitches. He didn't tell me. But OMG it was thre worst pain while healing. It burned and ached for like 3-4 weeks.
  • @wilsomom @babyinblack682 @mrz_jackson @jules @excitedforoctober @mommyof3girls @kenzie0713 @1stwoodsbaby
    thank you! Early on i set my mind on not having a c-section unless i REALLY need it, but i never thought about what all comes with a vaginal birth. And although i have given vaginal birth, its obviously not the same because my first pregnancy only got to 17 weeks when i went into labor. So some stuff is new to me.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • I didn't got an epidural 23 hrs of labor the last hrs were painful and she did Riped that last second when her head was coming out burned a lil bit but all of a sudden pain went away when they sowed me it didn't hurt a bit it was all worth it I'm pregnant with a boy right now which seems a lot bigger than my daughter so will see how it goes this time
  • @homebirthadvocate thank you. I haven't talked to my doctor, so i think i'll cover birth details next appointment. I seriously do not want a c-section, so hopefully i have a smooth delivery.
    Aside from the spotting early in pregnancy, i haven't had any problems and i hope it stays like that. I know once its time, there's no going back so i'll have to face whatever pain Im meant to feel lol. i know i'll be fine. I just over work my nerves when i think about something too much.

@waitingformybaby i think Im going to get an epidural. I did the first time, and it wasn't a full term baby so Im probably doing it again.
  • Epidurals don't always work I've heard of some that still feel the pain but hopefully it works for u I don't like pain but epidural sometimes have consequences that's why I personally don't get it
  • Your welcome you will do great! What was the reason for you going into labor so early the first time of you know? Did u end up having section then? But my doc also was stretching the tissue in between messaging during so it was very helpful u can talk to your doc about that. And I was told to push like I have a big poo it helped a lot BC it made me use my whole body. But like I said before no matter what we all make it through and choice to do it again. So it's not bad :)
  • @waitingformybaby the epidural worked for me the first time. And i didn't have any problems afterwards. I was up and walking later that same day. I know people say that they get back pains, but those come for a whole different reason. Nothing to do with the epidural. But hey, i give you props because giving birth with no pain meds is no joke... i wish my pain tolerance wasn't as low.

@jules Around 13weeks into my pregnancy, i started having excruciating abdominal pain. So when i went to the er they found a 16cm ovarian cyst on my left ovarie. The doctor kept a close eye on it, and noticed the cyst was growing along with the pregnancy and he said that i needed to get surgery to remove it because it would eventually rupture and end the pregnancy and i would most likely lose my whole utureus. So at 17 weeks on May 10th 2011 i had the cyst removed, and i was in the hospital for 3 days after. The baby made it and her heartbeat was really good. They would check her heartbeat 3 times a day the whole 3 days i was there, and everything seemed fine. Then the day after i was discharged, my water broke followed by a hemorrhage. I was taken to the er and once i was there the ultrasound showed the baby had passed away. I had 2 blood transfusions and my labor was induced. I delivered a vaginally on May 14, 2011 at 12:45pm. I had a baby girl.
    There's not an exact reason as to why she passed away, it was a risk i took when i chose to have surgery. It was a hard decision, because either way her chances were low.
  • I know I amazed myself cuz I feel I have low pain tolerance I can't even get a tat lol
  • Ooh I'm soo sorry. That would have been hard choice. I think if I was in your shoes I would do the same BC u can only hope it wouldn't grow Anymore therefore wouldn't effect the pregnancy but of the doc was right and it did u wouldn't be able to have anymore children so I wouldn't have some the same thing BC like you said very low chances. But not better you are very blessed and going to have beautiful baby !
  • @waitingformybaby see, and i have two tattoos lol. They are small though lol.

@jules Thank you. It definitely changes you. I mean, Im not who i used to be. Although i love my daughter and miss her with all my heart, she's taught me so much. I like to think that she was an angel. The doctor said that i most likely had this cyst before i was pregnant, it was just smaller. It unfortunately grew once i got pregnant. So my daughter was my messenger, she came to tell me something was wrong, and once it was fixed and i was healthy again, she left. I will always love her for that, and for everything she has brought to my life. And now that Im pregnant, i talk to this baby and i tell him about his big sister. I want him to know about her.
  • That's very true! I agree with you she is little angel :)
  • edited December 2012
    I had two second degree cuts and wow it hurt so much to heal i had clitoris pain a weird pain! It still hurts and this is 6_7wks later when i sit, breastfeed, but mostly while i do kegels my mom says it gets better i hope so but it deff beats havimg a c section not the pain wise i mean but having the cut and all
  • @salasmommy uugghh. that so sucks lol. I wouldn't mind having a numb vajayjay for 6wks pp lol
  • @perly I had 3rd degree tear Dr said I was thisclose to needing surgery to fix my area. I didn't think it hurt at all to be honest (afterward I mean). I mean I pushed a 9lb 9oz baby out I expected pain and I didn't even take so much as a Tylenol after the epidural wore off...and my pain tolerance is super low. The epidural started to wear off toward the end of them stitching me up (it took 45 mins). The worst part was the first bowel movement after birth...owwwww! The ice pack pads and the cream were my best friends for the first week or so...I suggest asking for extra and horde them lol I also loved the hospital undies bc they were so stretchy. I think tearing vs episiotomies is Dr preference...at least where I was going. With a cut you're allowing that weaker tissue a place to tear more...
  • @mam082711 see that's what scares me =\
    But i'll have to talk to my doctor about all of that and see what she says. I would honestly like it if i didn't tear lol
  • @homebirthadvocate that's good. It must suck, but its good that they are rare.
  • @homebirthadvocate do you think that i may experience problems like the ones my mom did when she gave birth the first time? Or does it just come down to my body, and my baby?

My older brother was almost 10lbs, and my mom was able to dilate completely but i guess he was just too big and she wasn't able to deliver him vaginally so she ended up having an emergency c-section. Then with me (second pregnancy) she just chose to have a c-section because she was scared of going through the same thing.
  • @homebirthadvocate ok. That's good to know. Thank you so much! :)