VBAC or repeat c-section?

edited January 2013 in Labor
Opinions from those who have done either, pros and cons please..ready..go!

Comments

• My doctor is leaving it up to me. He did warn me that recovery from a failed vbac is a lot worse than a c-secrion bc its an emergency. He went over all the number with me and gave me a waiver.

If successful tho the vbac will have a much quicker recovery time. Thats what I am shooting for. I can deal with pain but weeks of not being able to move normally and forgetting if I lay on my back I need help to get up sucked.
  • I didn't have any issues like that with my first c-section.. I just don't want another failed vaginal birth..I'll be devastated, so I'm trying to either convince myself that it'll be ok if i try for a vbac and fail or just schedule the damn surgery so I know that's what I will expect to happen..does that make sense? I also want a shorter recovery time! My experience first time around was dreadful and very stressful to my son.. I don't want that to happen again and I don't want to be away from him for a long time.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • I've had a vbac, even with my abnormal shaped uterus with no issues even had my baby at home ;) there are more risks with sections, its major surgery and can lead to other issues. Depending on the reason for previous section.
  • I had a repeat c section. I wanted to vbac, but I was scared because wig my first, I only dilated to barely a 6 after 23 hours of labor. I scheduled the,c section with my second but went to labor just 7 hours before I had to be at the hospital. When I got there, I wasn't dilated at all. My recovery was very easy and I had very little pain. I hardly ever took my pain meds.
  • I had the option to try vbac with my second and did tons of research trying to decide. I said I wanted to vbac but my gut feeling changed so I scheduled a repeat c section. I went into labor at 37 weeks but wasn't dilating. It turns out my son was breech and had the cord around his neck so he was stuck up high. When they got him out he was blue and limp and they intubated him and called a code and kept telling me to talk to him so maybe he'd hear mama and start breathing. After a loonnggg time he started breathing and he's okay today but I know he would have never survived a vbac. I think if people can vbac its awesome but follow your gut. Also, my recovery was horrible with my first but my second was so easy that by the end of day two all I was taking was ibuprofen for pain. Second c sections are much less painful and it was so easy I'm not even nervous for my third! It was much easier than labor ;) If you do choose a c section don't let anyone make you feel guilty, you're doing what you feel is best for your baby. C sections don't make you less of a woman which is how some people I was friends with tried to make you feel. All that matters is a healthy baby and a healthy mama!
  • @homebirthadvocate I went into labor at almost 38 weeks. Was at 9cm when I got to the hospital. I pushed for over 2 hours and nothing was budging. Eventually they decided bc he wasn't coming, that i needed a c section. He had no fluid, the cord was wrapped tightly around his neck, he didn't cry when he was brought out of me. He needed two boluses of fluids and was placed in the special care nursery for 5 days. He developed pneumonia as well. It was so traumatic for me to go thru all that. I was so nervous for him and i believe he wouldn't have survived a vaginal birth. I was devastated at the way things turned out and it took a while for me to "get over" all that and to be able to talk about what had happened without crying (for my child). It was overwhelming.
  • @MichelleBelle that was the work of the man up stairs. I stopped taking pain pills the day after leaving the hospital. I guess my main problem was we have no support. I never had someone give me any sleep. Also those dam lactation consultant had convinced if I went more than 2 hours wo pumping I wouldn't get a full supply. Seriously I would like to punch them in their faces, I am just sayin. I was so stressed over that that my milk didn't come in until I went to my family doctor and he told me sleep will affect it to. I don't think mine would have been so hard if not for that

I am considering just scheduling a repeat. My doctor says he doesn't think I will have any issues bc I never had a failed delivery. My husband is pushing for vaginal bc of recovery time.
  • I had two csections, great experiences both times. I also had very short recoveries and not much pain.
  • I had a repeat c-section. Less worry on my part and I knew what to expect.
  • @emy how did it go? How old was your LO at the time. How was your first c-section decided? Thank you for your input!
  • My first c section was with my 10 year old. It was an emergency c section because he stopped breathing (it was the drs fault). My son was 9 when I had my daughter and he was so helpful. My 2nd csection was a breeze. After I woke up I started walking as much as I could and by the time I got home i was barely even taking my pain pills. The only complaint was gas pains lol I didnt have those the first time around. Sorry for going on lol.
  • Thanks for the reply @emy! I had gas pains up to my collar bone the first time, that was dreadful! My LO will only be 21 months old. I don't want to be away from him for long :( I was in the hospital with him for 5 days..mostly bc he was there for 5 days and I just stayed. I hope to avoid all that this time around.
  • I had a horrible experience with being in Labor for 23 hours and ending in c section and having complications. I have heard that just doing a c section is much easier on your body so I'm doing a repeat c section. It's my choice and I have zero desire to go through that hell again. I want to actually see my kid as soon as possible and be mentally aware off what's going on. I barely remember the first 2 weeks of my sons life.
  • Thanks @smcox.. I can relate to your story. I wasnt in labor as long, but my son was taken straight to the special care nursery and they wouldn't allow me to go for hours and i lied about being able to feel my legs so i could go see him. He was never in my room with me..it sucked :(
    How old was your LO when you had your second?
  • I'm still pregnant, I'm due June 27th. But plan on this experience bring much more positive than with my first son (this one is a boy too). But he Will be 19 almost 20 months. Luckily Damien was perfectly fine other than slight jaundice after birth.But Labor and c section were too hard on my body and it basically shut down. So I was the one that wasn't coherent. Damien was fed formula behind my back (since I was so drugged up and didn't know what was going on) and the Drs took advantage of me not being coherent or able to fight for our rights and nothing went the way I wanted it too.... Including taking away my option to breastfeed. So this time I'm doing everything I can too make sure that doesn't happen again.
  • i wanted a vbac and all the way through my pregnancy i was having different opinions from different docs! in the end at my last scan my baby was transverse so i was told the safest option was another csection so thats wat i had! i have to say i felt gutted at first as i would have loved to have a vbac but in the end was happy with a csection as it was safest for me and baby! also healed great! was out walkin 4days after havin him drivib after 3weeks and hes 7weeks old today and the surgery is a distant memory!! good luck whatever u go with
  • I just had a succesful vbac 11_17_12 best thing i ever done i had my forst son 31711 via csection. Recover is great. The experience is even better!
  • VBAC ALL THE WAY! I've had 2 successful VBAC's 15 months apart. When I have more kids in the future,I'm going to give birth this way if my Cervix co-operates with me like it has in the past.I was induced both times with my first being 2 days over due and my second 6 days over due.I was in labor for 28 hours for the first time and 11 hours the second time.Loved every moment of it and I love the fact that I got to do skin to skin contact with both and breastfed and am still breastfeeding.It was such a lovely experience.It's so crazy but I think I'm in love with giving birth Lol Like if I could I would just get pregnant just to give birth to them Lmfao But yeah,VBAC for sure.There is a risk of rupture but it probably won't happen.I thought that was gonna happen to me but it never did.Doesn't mean it couldn't,but you have a higher chance of falling off a horse and hitting your head and dying then your uterus to rupture.Believe me,I've done my fair share of searching up all about VBAC's. I believe that the benefits outweigh the risks.
  • @smcox If you weren't coherent how could you have breastfed? Did your so know of your wishes to bf?

• I had a failed vbac and had an easier recovery then with my first. I suggest a VBAC though because it is easier on the body. My son (the 2nd one born) had a collapsed lung so the decided to call for a csec... he couldnt handle the pushing. I have an android (male shaped) pelvis that babies have a hard time pushing through. When my first csec healed my bladder stuck to my scar tissue so when they went in for my son they had to cut into contractile muscle/tissue to remove him and to remove my bladder from the scar tissue. So no more vbacs for me and my hubby is kinda thinking no more babies either... but the vbac was worth it, even though it was failed it was a good experience to have.
  • @char my husband did know but the Drs made it seem like something bad was going to happen to Damien if he didn't get fed right away. I remember bits and pieces of the first 6 hours of his life and they could have put him on me and let him breastfeed. There was a point where I was fully aware of what was going on and they kept trying to "warm me up" and since I didn't want them to put the air mattress that blew hot air on me they drugged me more without my permission to knock me out. They said I was hypothermic but they could have warmed me up without hindering my ability to hold and feed my baby. Besides that I felt like I was a million degrees already lol. Then when I had stopped producing colostrum they made it seem like I was killing my baby. Then since I was having such a hard time with everything they deemed me depressed and told me I needed to take pills. I was exhausted and feeling defeated so I just said whatever. My poor husband didn't know what to do and I had no one there fighting for my basic rights or even rooting me on. I know better this time around and will be doing everything on my terms and my midwife will know my wishes and my husband will be better prepared as well. This time I will be doing placenta encapsulation so they can't try to tell me I need any meds, and I'm going to fight to get my son laid on me right after birth and make sure I actually get a lactation consultant and won't let them bully me to make life easier on them. :)
  • Thanks @homebirthadvocate :) do you have any info that would help me make my midwife let me put my baby on me immediately following birth even though I'm having a C section? I just want everything to be so different this time around!
  • It's hard in those situations. My lo on me for kangaroo care as soon as they closed me up. My doctor prescribed me Zoloft I WENT TO MY NEXT APT AND TOLD HIM I wasn't going to take them. He asked me how I felt I said good enough and he said okay. I will not deal with someone who tries to tell me what to do. He always explains and gives my option for me to make the decision and his opinion of course. Sorry you had such a bad experience. I barely remember my sons first couple months. It is a cloud of pumping, trying to sleep and being depressed. I hope it was more of the over all change for us ya know pay cut, working my whole life to staying at home, and oh the PAYCUT. We never had to worry about anything then all of a sudden we had to budget just to pay bills.
    GOOD LUCK!!!!