Behind?

edited March 2013 in Ages & Stages
My son is 17 months and really only says mama and dada clear. He tries to say other words but they aren't clear at all. Like he says ball but it sounds like ba. I know he should be saying a lot more words by 17 months! Does anyone know anything i could do to help him? Or should i try a speech therapist? He's a very smart boy! He knows what your saying to him so it's not like he doesn't understand. He just can't say it! I need help pls from anyone with experience!!!

Comments

• My son is 20 months and he still can't talk clear. He repeats everything I say but you can't really understand. I'm not worried though. I think all babies learn and developed at their own pace. I would worry if by age three he doesn't speak clearly.
  • My daughter is 19 months and still only says a few words. Refuses to say mama or dada lol. But understands almost everything we say. All kids are different, I wouldn't worry!
  • Jack is 16 months, only says mama when he's mad and says hi. That's it. He can understand what I say to him, but he just doesn't want to talk.
  • Madison is about to be 17 months and only says momma, she understand a lot though, I sing songs with hand motions and she can do the motions will I'm singing, I think it's normal
  • Thanks @everyone it just worried me! My daughter did everything early. Hopefully he will start talking when he's ready! But coming on here seeing everyone say their baby says tons and tons of words freaked me out a little.
  • I have read that girls advance quicker than boys. I wouldn't worry to much.
  • My son doesn't say any word but he has recently started signing a few. I would look into a few of the simple basic signs so the two of you could communicate a little more...it's really helpful a d super cute! Haha
  • Mine is 18 months and says a few words but not always. Doctor says as long as they understand what you're saying to them there's no need to worry till their 2 years old.
  • I can confirm that girls definitely tend to talk sooner than boys.
  • Ok i feel better hearing that it's pretty normal. @crystaldawn0830 he knows a few. He can tell me more and finished and milk so we're getting there. My daughter was using sign language at 8 months and could tell us what she wanted! She still uses it with her brother so he's starting to pick it up. Just not as fast as she did. I'm gonna try not to worry too much. And i guess that's why they say girls are smarter than boys!!! Lol
  • AJ can say mom plain as day but only when he is in distress. He will not talk at all other than numnum for food and hey
  • My son will be 22 months tomorrow and he still is not talking at all. Not a word. He was referred to an early intervention program in December because he failed a questionnaire for autism, but he does not show any symptoms of autism.. instead they've put him into speech therapy once a week and he's also just started seeing their occupational therapist. I know alot of it has to do with my son being a Preemie and having some other developmental issues but he's going to be just fine and grow uo to be a perfectly healty normal kid and so will your son :) I had to learn to understand that being a little behind does not mean there is necessarily something wrong with our kids. It is worrisome though. If u want, take him to a speech therapist it wont hurt any! He will just learn some skills to bridge that gap between understanding your words and expressing his wants and needs into words. And u will learn skills to help get him there faster. It's alot of fun and they incorporate all the learning into playtime so its not boring and frustrating for baby. Hang in there mama!
  • Thanks a lot @adriens_mommy I sure your lo is gonna be yelling at you soon enough lol. It's crazy all the things parents worry about!
  • I have a girl 16 months and only says a couple words clearly. My friend's daughter is younger and says more. Try not to worry. I think they all develop at different rates.
  • Your so welcome! I have devoted alot of energy into learning about my sons developmental delays and while all children are different I can always give u advice or answer questions based on what I've dealt with.
  • My daughter says and mimics everyword we say but she isn't saying it clear either you can understand but only if your paying attention. She also says ball as ba :) i think she'll grow out of it I'm not worried.
  • My son will be 18 months tmw n he only says mama(when hes upset) bye and hi :/
    But hes always been kinda behind on things didnt crawl till 10 months wallked at 14 months
  • I always think the same cause my daughter will be 15 month in few days and only says mama papa hi. And my friends daughter by this point was talking way more. But I'm not worried every baby is different mine did all the physical stuff early and she understands what we say to her very well. I agree with others it's not problem unless the child was over 2 and still say nothing. Plus sounds to me like you're doing great job!
  • Thanks girls! And thanks @jules I'm trying my best :)