• Math_MommyMath_Mommy March 2013

I lost way too much weight while I was nursing Mari. Now that we've pretty much completed the weaning process, I'm still not gaining enough weight (my periods returned for a few months...but now they are irregular at best). I eat really healthy (I think I might have a borderline eating disorder in regard to injesting empty calories...) I hate junk food. I can do some sweets; but they have to be gourmet, and I can only stand a few bites. I can eat enormous amounts of protein and not gain weight. I already eat a ton of cheese, whole milk yogurt, and olives.

Being too skinny makes me look old! Plus, regular cycles would be cool. Any suggestions?

• littlenat86littlenat86 March 2013

Have you had you thyroid tested? X

• I have the same exact issue! I eat what you described as well. No thyroid issues though. My calorie intake is in between 2500-3500/day and I only started to work out just recently.
    OK I guess I am no help, just relating lol.

"Midwives see birth as a miracle and only mess with it if there's a problem; doctors see birth as a problem and if they don't mess with it, it's a miracle!"--Barbara Harper
    Lilypie Breastfeeding tickers

@littlenat86 I had a thyroid problem during my last pregnancy. It resolved itself during my 3rd trimester. I'll mention it to my doctor. Ty!

@bahamamama4828 I estimated my calorie intake around 3500 too! I'm not severely underweight...I just look better when I'm above 125 (I'm 5'7")...and I have no butt unless I reach 130

• julesjules March 2013

Omg if u find an answer please tell me! I'm way smaller then I was before I got pregnant then had my daughter the weight I did gain which wasn't much came off the same week and after that just kept going down and I eat whatever I want. I'm pretty healthy eater but I eat unhealthy snacks all the time I'm not sure how many calories I eat a day but I know that's not the problem cause I'm always eating I feel like at least. I'm 80 pounds right now and 4 ft 11 in tall so I'm short yes but 80 pounds is still too skinny I think plus I'm ttc and I really think the weight thing is what making it harder cause with my daughter it only took one try and we were pregnant this time its been since start of january and still no baby :( which feels long to me. I've eveb tried shacks in between meals and snacks I've tried not being crazy active like I've been my entire life I have no idea. And it does make my cycle stupid and all over the place which sucks.

• perlyperly March 2013

If there was ANY way of giving you my fat, i would lol!!

• julesjules March 2013

@perly ur funny I'm sure ur not fat plus ur pregnant right now so doesn't count. But at same time most of the time u don't hear people about being skinny I don't care really but the fact that I'm ttc and its probably not helping is what I don't like. Other then that being small is least of my worries

@Jules now I feel vain...because the only reason I want to pack on the lbs is to make my wrinkles less visible and to fill out my butt...good luck & *baby dust*

Btw, I just ate 17 blue cheese stuffed olives (the REALLY good fresh ones packed in cold-pressed olive oil). Brian said, "I thought you bought those to make martinis". But, I like olives WAY more than I like vodka...so whatever, I'll buy more

• julesjules March 2013

It doesn't make u vain at all. I see it we have same goal different reasons I think its good for people to take care of themselves in order to be happy. People do it all the time when wanting to loss weigh so why can't we do it to gain right!? And thank u I need all the baby dust out there looks like I got the weigh thing and now issue with ovulating or something too and my hubby works all the time so I need miracle for sure. And I've never had. Those olives my hubby loves olives maybe I can find some of those for him :) he wouldn't mind it in a drink either lol

• I miss my butt..

"Midwives see birth as a miracle and only mess with it if there's a problem; doctors see birth as a problem and if they don't mess with it, it's a miracle!"--Barbara Harper
  • perlyperly March 2013

@jules i was a few lbs overweight when i got pregnant, plus the ones i've already gained since i got pregnant... Im looking at about 25-30lbs to lose once this baby is out lol.

• julesjules March 2013

@perly that's not bad at all I gained 23 pounds when I was pregnant 15 of which was baby and water and whatnot. Then the other 8 came right off within 3 days of being home especially if ur breastfeeding it just melts off :) that's normal weight gain your lucky one some women gained over 60 pounds that can't be easy to lose. When are u due?

• perlyperly March 2013

@jules Im due May 17. I am planning to breastfeed, so hopefully that will help me out.

• smcoxsmcox March 2013

Yeah, I was just slightly over weight when I got pregnant with my first ( 5'2 and 139 pounds) and then I of course gained 70+ pounds.... Lost 30 right away and then had to work my butt off to get 20more off. Then my son became mobile and working out became harder. Then I got pregnant again before losing the last 20 and I'm now 25 weeks and gained 20 pounds already :( for some reason I gain super easily during pregnancy. I can't stand it, I feel disgusting all the time! I know neither side of the problem is easy but I wish my problem was not being able to gain weight. Determined to be back down to first date weight (125) by the time this baby turns one lol and you girls can have it all!!!! Lol

• julesjules March 2013

@perly that's not far away at all and the breastfeeding will help a lot :)
    @smcox yes some women are that way but the nice part is u probably had no problem getting pregnant and will have great milk supply. I'm having some hard time ttc right now and with my daughter my milk supply was horible and I did everything possible to try bring it up but it would only help like an oz I spent soo much money on it too. I wouldn't mind taking some of that weight I think if I got to 90 pounds that's the weight I was when I got pregnant with my daughter. Then that would be great!

• perlyperly March 2013

@jules i hope so. Its hard for me to lose weight as it is. But Im determined to be a hot momma lol

• julesjules March 2013

@perly ya its hard to lose weight for my husband too unless he gets very serious about it but he also puts on muscle very easily and most of him is muscle. U will get there good attitude is number one and u have great attitude.

• smcoxsmcox March 2013

@jules true, I've never had any issues getting pregnant. With my first though my milk never came in, but I think that was more due to a "traumatic" Labor and birth. Praying the milk issue isn't an issue when this baby gets here in June. I really wish there was a way to give someone your fat that needed it lol oh how nice that would be!

• julesjules March 2013

@smcox oh I thought u were pregnant with ur second baby number 3 ha?! What a blessing. And I wish I could take some fat from someone too but just enough to be healthier to get prego again hehe. I want to ne healthy! Thank u its the thought that counts maybe that will help me put some weight on hehe

I was complaining to my mommy-BFF (who just had her 3rd, but was a little heavy before her 1st...she does heated yoga 4x a week and still can't loose any lbs). She acted really annoyed and said, "that sounds like one of those good-problems". So, I dropped it (and posted here).

@Jules if you are concerned about weight contributing to ttc & milk supply, cut out all empty calories. Eat healthy fats like nuts, avocados, olives/olive oil. I was dramatically underweight when I conceived my first. Only a little underweight when I conceived my second. Plus, I'm a famous over-supplier in my bfing group, despite my lack of body-fat. Even with my first (who was born 10 weeks early, spent 5 weeks in the nicu, and I had to artificially induce lactation [w/ a pump because he couldn't nurse because babies that early have to be tube fed at LEAST til 32 weeks gestation...even then, they aren't strong enough to nurse exclusively and have to be bottle fed part-time), and we conquered almost every nursing-obsticle afterward). I know body-fat does play a part in ovulation, but if you consume lots of healthy fats, it just might give your body the edge to start the baby-making process! (Plus, nuts and dried fruit are nutrient dense foods so they take up less room in your stomach and you can eat more!)

@bahamamama4828 I never had much booty...but it's pretty non-existent now. I am however refusing to buy any new pants (except for Express slacks...they give me the illusion of a butt...totally worth the $55-70!)

• smcoxsmcox March 2013

@jules Third pregnancy but only second living baby :) I was a healthy weight when I got preggo the first time (the miscarriage) 115 pounds... That's when all my weight problems started lol even though I get pregnant really easily (which I'm super grateful for) my body doesn't handle pregnancy well.

• julesjules March 2013

@math_mommy first about ur friend that's a very normal reactions I'm sure she felt like back in high school when prefectly fit girls used to say they were fat and the overweight girls would be like seriously... but at same time there's nothing wrong with wanted to be healthy weather its losing or gaining some weight healthy is the goal and maybe ur friend will come around and u guys can support each other. And as far as the empty calories I know exactly what u mean I've been an athelete my entire life and have been great eater and naturelly crave those types of foods and as far as nuts its funny cause that's my number one snack I mean I don't just want to gain weight and be fat and unhealthy so I'm trying to be very healthy about it nothing is working. But I might have solved the ttc problem its only been since january and I decided to buy ovulation kit since I was under weight with my daughter and that wasn't problem and I'm pretty sure I just been ovulating late. I've been using it and nothing and I should technically be done today and today was first time I've acually seen the other pink line and I'm going to keep testing hopefully it will continue getting darker everyday! Then hopefully that's been the problem was me being off on my fertile days and not the weight thing will see. But ill still continue being healthy just in case :)

• julesjules March 2013

@smcox I see well first I'm so sorry for the lose I'm sure that was hard. But 115 seems pretty small for average high or u little shorter like myself? Has ur doc given u any reason why ur body has hard time with the pregnancies? I really wish u the best and healthy baby to come! Which is not too far I'm sure ur very excited about that :)

@jules what great news; so glad your lady-parts are working!!! I have a normal 30 day cycle (which is longer than most but still normal)

Even though your hubbs works a lot, the man-part of baby making is simple, just climb on top of him when he gets home from work (us skinny girls have a lot of energy too, lol)

@smcox I've been reading your posts for over a year now and this is the first I've heard about your m/c. I'm so sorry I didn't express my sympathy earlier (while I don't know firsthand about the pain of loss, I do know about the fear of having one's firstborn's life in limbo). So, I know you have one boy already, how old is he and do you know the gender of your 2nd yet and (sorry for the grilling, but) when are you due?

• julesjules March 2013

Lol thanks I think they are working its not nearly dark enough to were its most fertile days but since yesterday there was nothing at all this is better then nothing! And I wish I could jump on him but his super tired after work his paramedic and works wed thur fri 9am to 9pm and the Saturday 6am to Sunday 6am and right now his on long week he has two extra shifts cause of his partner but I will try my best as soon as it gets darker. I do have a lot of energy in general lol its funny u said that cause sometimes he wishes I wasn't like that cause he can't keep up with all the things I have planed for the days off he just wants to sit around do nothing sometimes. We did have sex the 13th which acourding to my app was very fertile day but not acourding to the ovulation stick that's why I'm gonna keep trying this month

• smcoxsmcox March 2013

Lol @jules @math_mommy you girls are too cute. My miscarriage happened when I was 19, so over 7 years ago. Damien Logan is 16 months and my second little boy, Wyatt James, is due on June 27th but I'm having a repeat c section to avoid all the complications I had with Damien. I didn't enjoy not being all there for two weeks and not being able to hold him for 6+ hours. Oh and I'm short :P 5'2, so 115 was perfect for me. But my new goal is 120 by the time Wyatt is a year old. Trying to transfer into clean eating right now so that will help.

• julesjules March 2013

@smcox well thank u for sharing ur story. What kind of complications did u have if u don't mind me asking? Oh and if it makes u happy ur taller then me I'm 4 ft 11 inches and 80 punds but I was 89 last time I got pregnant which I'm sure if u know is a lot for short person its more like 15 pounds probably. But I've always been petite so I'm used to it I'm hoping that I can get this ovulation thing figured out and the weight thing might not be the problem. I just can't wait to have another one and I always wanted my kids close in age and every cycle it doesn't happen is month she's older and plus a women is pregnant for 10 months technically which almost year. Plus right now is great time to be prego since I get to stay home with my daughter anyways :)

• smcoxsmcox March 2013

@jules I was induced due to depression and baby being big (worst decision I made). They turned the pitocin up very high and didn't tell me so I was having back to back contractions and only 1 1/2 for about 8 hours. Finally gave into the epidural even though I wasn't very far along. I had a 23 hour Labor and was throwing up the whole time and had a high fever that they couldn't get down. Damien never dropped and I never got past 8cm. Dr told me I had to have a c section and I didn't have the energy to fight. During the c section I continued to throw up (throwing up while on your back with your feet above your head is horrible btw) and my epidural started wearing off before the surgery was done but the wouldn't do anything about it.... Being able to feel things made me even more sick to my stomach. Afterwards I was burning up so much that having my son touch me was miserable. Then I became hypothermic and they had to put some heating blanket on me and I became very vocal about my misery that they drugged me to put me to sleep. Then my iron was so low I kept passing out and needed a blood transfusion. Then I ended up getting a uterine infection. So I was pretty doped up for two weeks... So I don't remember those first two weeks very well.
    Praying that since this is a repeat section recovery and everything will go much smoother.

• smcoxsmcox March 2013

Oh and I completely understand how only a few pounds is a lot! Which is why how much I've gained looks absolutely horrid on me!

• I get sad when @smcox tells her labor story and very angry with the Dr and whole situation that could have been prevented :(

• WilsomomWilsomom March 2013

@smcox That is so infuriating! I'm curious, how big was your baby? With you being so small it's very possible you could've pushed your baby out at 8cm. I'm so sorry you had to go through all that. I can understand depression can make it harder to make decisions. Plus your dr should have informed you more of the risks.

• julesjules March 2013

@smcox I think I remember u sharing ur story before and once again I'm so so sorry for the experience u had. I hope this time around it goes much better and I have feeling it will. U won't have problem with feeling anything since u will not have drugs coming off since it is planed ahead of time which hopefully will avoid the being sick park and I'm sure all the throwing up and the pain for so long before the epi and after it wore off is what caused the fever then hypothermia. If things are done right in start u will probbaly avoid all those. I can't believe it was bad and I really think in ur situation most would plan a c section in advance. That's very smart of you! I can't imagine going through that and want to to it again. I wanted second baby right away main reason bc first time around everything went soo well I don't think it couldn't have gone any better and I hope u have an experience like that this time around.

• smcoxsmcox March 2013

Damien was 9.8 pounds and they think this one will be bigger too. My Dr was absolutely horrible! I hated her, she ignored me when I was concerned about my weight gain, when I wasn't feeling Damien move she kept blowing me off and then one day laughed and said to get over it... The list goes on. She was already my second obgyn for that pregnancy so I didn't want to change again. I've never had a good obgyn experience. The one I had with my miscarriage was even worse and my d&c was one of the worst experiences of my life and she ended up getting her license taken away 3 months after my surgery.... So obviously I wasn't the only one with bad practice from her. So this time I went with a mid wife and am having a completely different experience. The obgyn paired with my mid wife isn't the best, but I only have to deal with her during surgery and mt husband will be a better advocate this time. We both went into the last pregnancy knowing nothing, this time is much different :)

• smcoxsmcox March 2013

And I should have known better with my last obgyn cuz she was pushing for c section since the very first visit. Oh well, lesson learned. Oh and after Damien I told everyone that I never wanted too be pregnant again.... But low and behold, Damien only 16 months and I'm 6 months pregnant lol and it was planned. @jules @bahamamama4828 @wilsomom

• WilsomomWilsomom March 2013

Oh wow that's a horrible first experience. I'm glad things are better this time around!

• julesjules March 2013

That's weird I wonder why ur ob was saying that about the c section so early on? Ya I can't blam u but we naturelly forget the exact pain its how its made to be that way we want more lol. And congrats on this one that was fast I wish it would happen to me already.@smcox

@smcox thank you for sharing! My firstborn's birth was so traumatic, only now (3.5 years later) am I actually able to write about it (still in the works, I tear up every time I go to type...but the ptsd symptoms are gone). There are so many things I wish I knew then and had done differently that may have affected my decisions and possibly the outcome (his extreme prematurity). Fortunately, while still traumatic (pitocin...which didn't bother me, 4 hours of pushing, and a violent forceps delivery...t.g. she had no complications from) my daughter's birth was still so much better than my son's. If we ever have a #3, I know even more about what to refuse/demand and how to be assertive with doctors (I've never had a problem challenging "authority"...especially those in just a perceived position of authority...a pregnant woman is the authority on her pregnancy; I just have less trust in doctors now). The reason you may have been so sick is from the opiates in a traditional epidural. You may want to consider an epi without opiates (which, I believe is called a spinal? @captivated could probably tell you more about that). If you've ever gotten nauseated from taking 1-2 Vicodin, I would highly suspect the pain meds (as opposed to the nerve-blocker) in the epi for causing your nausea.

^ oh, and Brian was a super-advocate the second time around (guys learn a lot too!)

• smcoxsmcox March 2013

@math_mommy yes, taking pain meds makes me sick. I'm allergic to vicodin so I usually get prescribed percoset.... But still will make me nauseous half the time. I'm definitely doing a c section this time around, just not risking not being able to be aware enough to take care of my baby so maybe I'll ask about the spinal block. Thanks! I would love to hear about your birth story, sorry it was so horrible! :( I don't fully trust Drs anymore either! I question everything now, before Damien I had never done that. I figured, they are the ones with the phd so they know everything..... so dumb! It took three different pediatricians and three different diagnoses to figure out what the rash all over my son was. My poor kid went through a week of antibiotic cream,another week of steroid cream, and well over $500 to find out it was just viral and there was nothing that could be done. Just needed to run it's course. Pissed me off beyond belief! I hate that I had put steroids and antibiotics on my son needlessly! And now that I've written a book I'm gonna stop typing lol

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Apply for Membership

Categories