Where do YOU draw the line?

edited March 2013 in Parenting
Before i start, please be respectful of the parenting ways of others. There's no right or wrong answer, i just want to see the different opinions.

So i just came back from the WIC office and Im just interested in the different views.
So there was this kid that was just out of control. She was probably somewhere between 18-24months. This little girl got into everything possible in that office. She grabbed the pen off of the counter and started writing on a wall. Then she threw the pen at another kid and ran down the hall to the offices in the back. Then she snuck behind the counter and started throwing papers all over the floor and walking all over them.
The mother was having a conversation with another mother, and was completely unaware of where her daughter was or what she was up to.

So this is where i draw the line. If that would've been my kid, i would've never let her out of my sight. I would've tried to keep her attention with toys and snacks so that she would stay out of the places she's not supposed to be in the first place.

So where do YOU draw the line?

Comments

• I agree with you. If you have a high spirited child then it's your job as a parent to entertain said child. I hate the word 'control', rather redirect!
  • That's horrible! You shouldn't let your child out of your sight because they can get into things that could hurt them, not to mention how rude and disrespectful it is to let your child terrorize an office like that.
  • I would never let my child act like that, or let them out of my sight ever. I wonder how she acts at home? I teach my kids to sit still at home so if we go out & are in a situation where I need them to sit still or stay near me then it's no big deal.
  • edited March 2013
    My daughter has huuuuge amounts of energy. She is always on the go. Its absolutely exhaustinG. Lol. But that being said, I've had 21 months of dealing with her. I KNOW she's like that. So if we go somewhere with even a Chance of us waiting we have books, toys, snacks & of course, my phone with an album of pictures of people she loves (nana daddy..) its my job as a parent to keep her respectful of others around us.
  • edited March 2013
    @ashley_smashley @frantastic @wilsomom @natashalynn
    my jaw literally dropped. I was actually more amazed at how "laid back" that woman was. This little kid didn't only disrupt the office workers, but other mothers as well.
    There was another mother trying to breastfeed her baby and this little kid kept trying to push her boob away from the baby. She was a stranger to that little kid, and not even that made the mom get up and put a stop to her child's rampage. I felt bad for that mother trying to breastfeed because her baby was really fussy and she kept having to stop because this kid kept trying to climb on her and touching her boob.

In my opinion, thats embarrassing. And crazy!
  • Oh my gosh that's horrible. I would almost have said something to her at that point. I know that's not easy to do though.
  • I am HUGE enforcer of respect. I think the lack of respect these days is disgusting. It's like only half our generation (I'm 25) were taught respect and the other half weren't. And those "other half" have taught there kids not to have respect either. I live in a town where 80% of the people my age are drug addicts, thieves, liars, disrespectful little tarts, none of the men are MEN. They all use and abuse woman. I'm actually moving 2hours away at the end of the year. Probably only 2 children in my daughter's class have respect and I don't want her to learn these ignorant disrespectful ways! And I'm not even in a bad run down town! It's just people there days! I'm ready to pack up and move to an armish village haha
  • @wilsomom i would've said something for sure. If my baby wants to eat, Im feeding him/her. Im not gonna sit there and struggle with my kid because another kid is being annoying. Especially if the solution is as simple as pulling down my shirt and sticking my boob in my baby's mouth.
    @mummy_to_be this lady was a little older than 25. Maybe in her early 30's. She was mexican for sure (i dont mean that in a disrespectful or racist way. Im mexican too, so i know how some mexican women are.)

When i say something about a kid misbehaving or something, someone says "just wait till you have your own kids".
    I understand kids are curious and playful, but that doesn't give them the right to do whatever they want everywhere they go. And as far as i know, im the adult in my home so i know what's best and what i say goes. That doesn't mean im gonna be strict with my kids, but they will know that if i say no, then thats final.
    There's a big difference between letting your kid play and letting your kid run wild.
  • This reminds me of a little girl about 4 years old who I aways see in church, we have to sit in the kiddie room which is just an off room with a window and speakers to hear the service. Theres usually about 4 or 5 parents and between 4-8 kids. Shes always getting into other peoples purses/bags. She will walk up to a child and take their sippys or snack from their hands. She tried several times to take my sons cup out of my hand. At first I didn't know what to do or say since she's not my child but her momma doesn't care what she does so I've grown used to telling her firmly No and placing her hands at her side when she starts digging thru my purse or grabbing my sons cup. She shoves other kids (and she's usually the oldest one there or one of the oldest) and she spits on the activity tables and floor!! My biggest issue! I hate hate hate spit its so disgusting and rude! She stands on the chairs and bangs on the viewing window and distracts everyone on the other side. An usher actually came in last time and asked that we (as in everyone in the room) please keep the noise level down because it is so loud out there. She was the only one being any loud at all oh that irked me bcuz i pride myself and my son at how well behaved he is in public. She just has absolutely no manners at all. I understand she's young, my oldest is 22 months and he is so much better behaved. And during all of this her mom doesn't say or do anything!! And she sees what's going on, she looks up and doesn't do anything. Her dad was in there last weekend which he isn't usually, and he actually does care a little (tiny) bit more about her behavior and said something a couple times. But still, she learned that behavior by getting away with it over time. Sorry so long lol this post just brought it out of me I get so irritated every single time and its church so I dont make a big deal about it there even though she is messin with the wrong preggo woman!
  • @adriens_mommy if i were you, i would've probably gotten into it with that kid's mom lol
  • If it were anywhere else but church, where my boyfriend has been involved with for years and is super close to the pastor, believe that I would have done something about it a long time ago! Lol
  • @adriens_mommy bless you patient woman lol
  • Absolutely absurd! My kid is very spirited too, I do everything in my control to keep him under control! If I have to I bring a stroller and strap him in. I try not to cuz I hate him being in the stroller when he can be walking, but there is a time and place. And I mean my kid can be so crazy that I can't even go out to eat hardly ever!
  • @smcox Right?! omg it was outrageous!
    I mean its the WIC office, so they already have toys for the kids to play with and the tv is on a cartoon channel the whole time... what else was that woman expecting them to do for her?? lol. I mean, its your kid, take care of him/her.
    I just couldn't believe it. I was just thinking "If this kid starts messing with me, that mom is gonna have a piece of my mind!" lol.
  • perly we live in Houston boo I know u r not surprised and knowing what part of town u live in as I just recently moved I can almost guarantee I know what office u went to. those ladies hardly ever discipline

I have a 5 yr. old with O D.D. all the Normal entertainment tactics do not work so we have some really bad experiences some times and I spank which some frown upon but as a Christian I follow the spare the rod spoil the child idea. and I catch hell BC of it.
  • @soon2b3 at least you try to do some kind of discipline, not like that lady. She didn't even get up to get her kid when the employees told her what her kid was doing.
    I went to the to the WIC office on Gulf Freeway south right after Broadway and before Howard/Belfort. (northbound)
  • Ugh! I was at a friend's daughters birthday party last weekend and this one woman's daughter was a TERROR. She was walking up while Zoey was opening up her presents and taking them right out of her hand. The mother said nothing. Then I was sitting on a stool and she came up to me, said "move" and tried to PUSH me off of it! She would take all my sons toys out of his hand and mom would see and just laugh saying it was "cute". This girl was three or four. NOT cute. Then she ran out the front door and mom did nothing. i had to go grab her out of the busy street! Freaking outrageous. I'd never accept that behavior from any of my children. They are very well behaved and respectful.
  • I am the mom who will say something. My thinking is if the mother doesn't want to take care of the child, then I will tell your child to stop the behavior (especially if it effects me or my children). I hate when mothers play oblivious to their children misbehaving. I know that they can tell the kid is getting on everyone's nerves.
  • Well my daughter isn't that crazy at all but she doesn't do well at the store sitting in the cart she like to run around in fun way back and forth in the iale and sometimes if my husband is with we let her so his doing it with her and no one else is around other then that she's always around one of us getting distracted with toys or some snacks. I totally agree that's just crazy and not respectful to the workers there. Plus she's still little why would she even let her out of sight in first plcase distroying the place or not she can just run outside and get hit by car in blink of an eye.
  • The last time I was at wic there was mother that acted worse than the child. Yes the child may have been acting up a little. Anytime the child did something she said his name and the proceeded to tell everyone in the room he was being bad that he was going to get a spanking. She did take her belt off and popped him. She then got a phone call he came up to her and asked question she easier her fist to the little boy. I was like wtf.... what great parenting skills you have.
  • Kids are kids but I agree. I work in a pediatric clinic but before that I worked in just a regular family practice. I cant tell you how many times I would accidently hit a kid with the door going out to the waiting room to get a patient or how many kids DREW on the chairs and walls because the mom/father were too busy playing on their phones. Rarely I would hear them say "no no no" or "don't do that" nonchatantly while not even looking up from their phones! Like I said kids will be kids but when they're disrespecting furniture or other peoples property that's an issue for me
  • That is just not right I'm so glad my baby is always by my side or her dads side she won't leave it and if she does she has her monkey leash on and she can't go far
  • I just had my appointment at wic local office and they where some ladies whit their 1Yo no morw than 18 months (3boys) well they have toys at our wic office so I guess they decided to let the kids play with the toys ..... suddenly a stranger old lady walks in the office eating a McDonalds burger and started feeding the boys from her burger I though they know each other but apparently she did not ..... she started talking to the kids mothers telling them that she was waiting for her niece that its pregnant .... my jaw dropped how could you let your kid eat strangers food they where all over that burger eating all 4 (the kids and the old lady) wtffffffff
  • @2girls_1boy that's creepy haha. I have given a kid a cookie or two, but it was always when i had my niece around. People could see that it was actually a snack and that i wasn't some weirdo feeding kids lol.
    Thats so weird lol. People are TOO comfortable now a days.