What's a great method to help babies sleep?

edited March 2013 in Babies
I swear I've tried everything..
I just don't get why she always fights her sleep..

Comments

• The no cry sleep solution book.
    Although she just may not be ready to sleepas long as you would like her too but the book works for *most* people.
  • There's a few ppl that can answer in my group too
  • Everyone is different u have to find something ur comfortable with. Some parents have very hard time hearing their lo cry at all so what I did was from a lot of others on here and what my parents recommended and my daughter has been sleeping through the night with no problem since she was tinny. But I just did a good night time routine like diner, bath, maybe read book or have them watch calming baby video let them have some milk and then I would put her down she cried for 5 minutes I went in comfort her then put her down again then she was still upset so I did it again 5 minutes later. If they keep crying ur supposed to increase the time in between u come in but my daughter was already asleep. Then u just do that first night can be ruff if ur lo keeps waking up since u have to keep doing same thing. But I only had to do this one night and now when I put her down she just knows so she doesn't make any nois at all just puts herself to sleep she playing with her little doggy sometimes it lights up and sings to her. Then she goes to sleep. But once she's down 13 hours of good sleep for her :) I'm not sure how old ur lo is though or if she's still eating at night or anything those can effect things
  • She's 8 months @jules. Thanks.
  • Oh ok that's great time because she's old enough were she doesn't need night time feedings and should have no problem sleeping through the night my daughter was doing it was early I would just give her a bigger breakfast since they are still growing :)
  • Fill the bottle with Nightquil and vodka!!!

Just kidding, please don't do that anyone.
  • I suggest getting the book "the no cry sleep solution". It has worked for us in the past and we are currently working on it again (Jyst different stage). It takes a while but is better for the kid. The first time we did it he started sleeping through the night (maybe waking once) within a couple weeks. But now his schedule got way messed up due to vacation and he started crawling out of his crib and will only sleep with mom. So I had to busy out my book again and reread it and refresh my memory of what to do and of course take a different approach since he's older. I love the book cuz it also explains a ton about babies sleep and needs, I learned a lot. Very helpful! I am currently laying on the ground next to a toddler bed trying to get my lo used to his room again lol
  • @smcox great book isn't it? That was my suggestion as well. Hopefully it helps!
  • @Bahamamama4828 yes I love this book! Sleeping on the ground at almost 7 months pregnant was a bad idea though! I hurt so bad! Gotta get an air mattress lol
  • I use a swaddler it works great it has velcro.
  • Maybe put a fan in the room, or other sound smother noises like the dish washer or washer and dryer? Give her a bath before bed. (But if you give her a bath don't put a fan there she'll get sick.)
  • Do you let her fuss at all? Levi was waking up multiple times a night but has been sleeping thru the night for almost 2 months I'd say since I stopped breast feeding. what's her normal schedule like? Here is Levis weekend schedule when he can sleep in.
    6-630 bottle 6-8 oz
    Back to bed
    830-9 whenever awake fruit w oatmeal puffs and sippy
    10-11 6 oz bottle
    1130-12 nap for about an hr and a half (naps in pack n play during the day seems to work best for nap for him)
    Lunch is a vegetable w/rice cereal. Puffs and sippy (before or after nap)
    3-315 6 oz bottle
    330-430 Short nap
    6-630 veg w/rice puffs and sippy
    730-45 6 oz bottle and out for the night. He goes to sleep awake.

He is 9.5 months. Once she is on a good schedule then you can pin point when she is tired. Levi had a hard time learning to nap without fussing but I cannot hold him 24/7 so he learned!
  • @mathair Oh don't worry about that I'm not a alcohol lover nor do I intend to be. :-D

@smcox I used to sleep on the ground for about two weeks, when me and my husband were going through a tough time and we had to stay at his parents home this is when my baby was only a month old. It was hard but with some pillows and a nice blanket I can make it work. ;-)
  • edited March 2013
    @hodgeslangdon She hates being swaddled!!
  • @LeviLuv8 Usually a bottle helps her sleep, but she will always want to fight her sleep like no matter what I try and do.
  • It's probably good she doesn't like being swaddled Levi never did. At my work we were not allowed to swaddle babies over 16 weeks for safety or health issues.
    See I made Levi cry it out. It took a few sleeps but it would get less and less and now he doesn't cry at all even if he is stool awake when he is done with the bottle.
  • Look into the baby whisperers routine and sleep suggestions. It really helped me with Riley! X
  • I definitely will @Littlenat86 thanks.
  • @LeviLuv8 It's so hard to do the cry it out method but after a while it's seems to be like the only option.
  • I use an eat/play/sleep schedule & all mine sleep through the night by 6 weeks. I'm not sure if it would work starting later though. @YNVtish tried it at one point & I think it worked.
  • Yes what @wilsomom is saying is very important gets them nice and tired :) I always give my daughter dinner then Bath then we play with her to get the energy out and give her bottle and she sleeps all night. I hope your lo can sleep well soon!
  • @jules I'm actually talking about an around the clock schedule though, not just a bedtime routine. (which is important too though of course) My method is considered controversial for some reason, so I don't always mention it. Idk why it's so controversial though, my babies are always so very happy & healthy.
  • I do eat play sleep too! @wilsomom I swear by it for happy babies
  • @Minx1018 Good, I'm glad I'm not the only one. I just don't understand why so many people are against it, it's wonderful in my opinion! :)
  • @wilsomom I have no clue! Possibly because.it is a more parent-led style and now it is more common to live baby-led. It has been so great for us :-)
  • @Minx1018 Yes, that's true, that's probably why.
  • @wilsomom yep, but it has been amazing. I tried baby-led with my first and I was going nuts so we switched it up to eat/play/sleep and now both of them sleep well and are hardly ever fussy
  • @wilsomom well doesn't everyone play throughout the day? We just usually get the rest of her energy out before bed that's all, what else are kids supposed to do during the day, I didn't say I was against it, at all.
  • @jules I know you aren't against it lol, I might have said it wrong. I mean like starting from birth I feed my baby exactly every 3 hours, then keep them awake (play) as long as possible, then sleep. It's like a routine/schedule. If they're not awake at 3 hours, I wake them to eat. Then at night time I let them sleep as long as they want. Somehow it sets their metabolism so they sleep through the night sooner. I hope that makes sense. Some people don't like it because they imagine our baby is screaming crying hungry, but we don't feed him because it hasn't been 3 hours, which isn't true. The key ingredient is the routine is always in this order: eat, play, sleep. I'm sorry if I came across rude or anything! :)