what position did u deliver your baby?

edited March 2013 in Giving birth
Been looking into this vbac option, and have come across the topic of not delivering on your back. Is that really even an option once your at the hospital? And how does it tie into having an epidural? Has anybody tried delivering while an un-traditional position?

Comments

• Delivering on your back goes against gravity. I squatted. It really depends on the hospital and your care provider but its your body not theirs! Fyi: birthing on your back is the unnatural position. Its hard to not birth on your back with an epidural. I also had a home birth so my birthing choices were mine :)
  • I delivered my daughter on my back, it was comfortable for me.
  • I've never had a choice in the hospital, always on my back, but not flat usually propped up quite a bit. One time I got the urge & started pushing while on my side, but as soon as the dr came in they made me move into their position...it hurt so bad I could barely move! You would probably have to discuss it with your dr in advance & put it in your birth plan.
  • I never birthed on my back. With my first I squatted and my second I was on my hands and knees. I hardly even labored on my back except to rest, the rest of the time I made sure to stay upright and let gravity work.
  • I birthed on my back, was also very comfortable for me. There's nothing wrong with it.
  • Birthing on your back is scientifically the most ineffective birthing position there is, like @bahamamama4828 said. Though with both of mine, I was on my back. Didn't know any better or that there were other options.

Women rarely, if ever, birthed on their backs. This practice began when birth became more medicalized and more doctors took over than midwives. There was one reason, and one reason only for it, which was that it was much easier for the doctor. With a woman on their back, they werent required to have to be in "uncomfortable" positions to deliver a baby.

Another random thing: we weren't intended to sit on toilets for bowel movements either! The best position to have a bowel movement in is the squatting position. Sitting actually makes it harder to push and the angle not ideal. So really, you should have each foot on the toilet seat and squat. haha. I read about this one time and then was horribly impacted. Did this, worked like a charm! ;)
  • Yep^^^ and actually when your body is 100% ready to deliver and your in the right position, very little, if any, pushing is needed!
  • Well if ur at the hospital and have an epi u kinda have to to be on ur back. But I was on my back and my legs were being held I was super comfortable but everyone is different.
  • I was on my back. I wish I had been squatting.
    My next birth will be a home birth, and I will probably be squatting lol.
  • I was on my back while they sliced me open to deliver the baby. Lol. Oh yes. Very unnatural indeed. Lol.
  • @Jules, even with an epi at the hospital, you can deliver in other positions. Soooo rare though and takes a lot of persistence!
  • @starrxoxo9 haha that's great!
  • @Minx1018 did u have an epi or any other pain medications for delivery or can a woman only do those positions without them?
  • @captivated what positions do you know of that work with an epi?
  • I had no pain meds and wasn't in a hospital either
  • @ everyone else thanks for the comments. Its not that im particular concerned about being uncomfortable on my back, since I have every intention of having pain medication. I started thinking of this and looking it up when I was coming across how many women tear or need an episiotomy and that it could be connected with the lying back position.

Show of hands-on how many women who birthed on their back(pain meds or not) had a tear or episiotomy? Just curious how often it really does happen
  • @Minx1018 oh ok I see. I unfortunately dont have a option of home birth because of the "high risk" nature of this birth, being a vbac. I also dont think I could do it without pain meds im still not 100% sure im doing this vbac I may chicken out and use my repeat csection card
  • Makes sense. I didn't think I could do it without meds either and wound up having two large babies with no tearing either time
  • Do u believe that you not tearing had to do with your position? Like if u were on your back with large babies I would have?
  • It's possible. The midwife who delivered my second was amazed that there was no damage after an 11lb baby, which I delivered on hands and knees. I know I never used the oils to help stretch before labor so I suppose position could have helped.
  • I've known women with epis that had help getting on hands and knees to deliver. Haven't heard of anyone squatting on it though, personally.
  • I didn't tear with either of my children. With my first, the epi was ineffective.
  • @captivated well anything is posible but since I couldn't feel my legs I couldn't imagine holding myself up.

@adriens_mommy well like I said I had epi and was on my back and I'm tinny 4 feet 11 inches and when I had my daugher I was 103 pounds and point is small frame and I didn't tear or anything had an amazing recovery I don't think that the position has anything to do with that I think its the ability for our skin to stretch and how much. Like my skin can stretch very well I guess and it goes back down super fast too. No one could tell I even had baby right after. But everyones skin is different and u never know it could be a posion thing as well I guess didn't effect me. I'm sticking to it next time lol I wouldn't want to chance it :) I think the only way to find out if the position effects it is asking the same women whose kids were same size and she delivered in different positions ya know. That would be intresting servey!
  • I'd love to give birth in the squatting position. It looks like its easier.
  • I gave birth on my back but I wanna try a birthing chair this time not sure if the hospital I'm delivering this time has it
  • I had a vbac with my second baby and now im ttc again, personally I will be having another c-section it was horrible! I pushed for about 4 1/2 hours and at that point I couldnt push anymore I was so exhausted, so the dr. Says we are going togo back for a c ssection and asked him if we could try forceps...that worked but my poor babys face was black and purple for almost 2 weeks. And now I can not hold my pee for anything, i cough I pee, I sneeze I pee, I try jumping on the trampoline and peed everywhere, dr. Says its from pushing so long and its sucks bad! So I wont try that again lol
  • @3rdXsacharm I have that peeing problem too I've had it ever since I was pregnant with my first and he was a csection.. I wonder if a vbac will just make it worse? Im like u if I sneeze, cough, try to hold it for more than 5 minutes, get up too fast... its annoying
  • @adriens_mommy I hate it I wish there was a w. To fix it everyone says kegels help but ive been doing them for 18 months and nothing...I give up