still bleeding from depo?

I got the depo shot January 3rd after my daughter was born. I bled normally and stopped for a couple weeks but started again February 22nd and Ive been bleeding everyday since. I'm not taking another shot as I was unaware of all the side effects and I'm NOT happy with this bleeding. I didnt go on any bc after my son I was regular right away. How long does the bleeding usually last? Should I get on a different bc or let my body return to normal? How long before people can generally get pregnant again, because I do want another baby in the future. And google isnt helping it's just telling me all the worst!

Comments

• I got my 1st an last shot last march an didn't get a normal period back till like august then I got on the paragard.
  • Depo is one of the worst for being able to get pregnant after stopping. Women who have been on it for prolonged time can sometimes take over a year or so to get pregnant. Some others are lucky and it happens immediately. I've known women who bled the ENTIRE first year on that shot and then have no bleeding. It affects everyone so differently. I have to say depo is my least fav birth control out there.
  • When i had the depo shot i wasnt happy with it and didnt want to get another one but the doctor told me it was my body adjusting to it so i got the second shot. I had my dang period for 6 flipen months. It was crap. I didnt get the next shot and i wasnt regular for over a year.
  • I bled the whole time while on it! For a total of 7 months it was non stop, I haven't been able to wear tampons since having Madison so I had to constantly wear a pad! I was not happy, now we're having troubles conceieving :/
  • I got the Depo in Aug 2011 and i was miserable. I didn't get the next shot, i just used condoms on Nov. and Dec. 2011. Jan 2012 i stopped using condoms and i didn't get pregnant until Aug 2012.
  • My first time on bc and I absolutely hate it. Everything I've heard so far says about the same. I just want my body back to normal! I'll just have to wait it out. What other birth control methods (minus condoms) would some of you recommend?
  • That's what I was planning on getting after this baby I don't like iuds and pills won't work for me but I don't like reading this neg post of the depo I don't want to wait to long when I wanna get pregnant again
  • I love my paragard no harmones
  • It depends on what kind of birth control you'd like. I've only used the Lo Loestrin and the Depo. Lo Loestrin is a low hormone kind of birth control. I've heard real good things about the Paraguard so i might get that after i have this baby.
  • I wanted para guard too but iuds freak me out
  • @waitingformybaby If you don't mind me asking, why do they freak you out? Have you gotten any information about the Paraguard, or any other IUD?
  • The recall on mirena and I've heard they can cause infertility or when they take them out they can rip something that happen to a friend they also hurt or bother sometimes
  • @waitingformybaby with all due respect, i suggest that you do your own research on any kind of birth control (including the Depo) you feel interested in and then compare pros and cons. That'll be the best way to decide what birth control will work best for you. Im sure you know all of this already, and trust me, i've gone by word of mouth too because its easier to sometimes base my decision on the experiences of others instead of researching on my own, but when you feel this undecided that's the best way to go.
  • The bad thing is tht drs lie to u I've never been on bc so it's hard to trust but I don't want another baby soon and condoms all the time get annoying I think I'll try the depo I just hope it doesn't mess me up :/
  • @waitingformybaby you can also do your research online. It doesn't have to be completely by what a doctor tells you.

I know that you're gonna do whatever you think its best, but i strongly suggest that you do your research before you try anything... especially because you've never been on birth control before. You can really cause more harm than good to your body if you go trying different birth controls without getting medical advice. Ask @homebirthadvocate or @captivated for some advice. Maybe they can give you some useful info.
  • The paragard and mirena IUD carry the same risks in regards to displacement, uterine perforation etc. Paragard is better because it is hormone free. The downside is that if you have heavy periods, you want to avoid it as it causes your menstrual cycles to worsen.

I always find low hormone oral contraceptives to be best, so long as you take them accurately.

As for depo, you will hear horror stories and good stories. You'd need to try it for yourself, but the negative is that there is no taking it back. Once the injection is given, that's it for three months. If you want something that you can stop and become pregnant soon after stopping, I strongly recommend against the depo.

@Jules is right. You've got to do some research on the benefits and risks of what's out there.
  • I was bleeding for 6 months straight with the shot!
  • I am going to get the shot. I tried the nuvaring and its given me nothing but cramps and I hate taking pills. This post has me worried now.

I jus made a post about the depo in health..I need to edit and put it in this category.
  • i went on depo after my second daught i bleed for two years none stopeven after no lnger reciving the shot it took me 5 years to concive my third daughter. i have had multipel DNC to stop the bleeding during that two years an it never helped i had to just wait it out.
  • @trixiesmom8 hopefully it works for you, but really think about it cause one shot is enough to mess you up.