My son can't pee *UPDATE*

edited April 2013 in Parenting
My 16 year old has to take weekly drug tests for probation. Yesterday & the day before he mysteriously couldn't pee. The first day he said he forgot & peed after school so he couldn't go. The second day he peed at noon & his test was at 3. We stayed 2 hours waiting for him to go, he drank 4 Mt. Dews, 2 cups of juice, 1 red bull & 1 cup of water. They sent him home because they were closing & said if he doesn't go today they're filing charges. He peed the second we got home. Do you think he's dirty or having a mental block? My husband thinks he's dirty & confronted him & my son started cussing him out & telling him to suck his dick, etc. & told him to go to walmart to buy a drug test & give it to him right now. Do you think he's bluffing? I have other reasons to be suspicious from something that happened earlier this week, but it would take a while to write it out.

Comments

• Of course he's bluffing. Good luck.
  • That is a lot to drink and not have to pee. I had a few times where I bluffed to my parents like that (not to this extreme though) to get the heat off of me.
  • *** when a teen.
  • He's definetely bluffing.
  • Of course he is!!
  • Lol He stayed home from school today & they called me & are coming to do a random test today at home. (they told me not to tell him of course)

Thanks guys, I'm so gullable I swear.
    @baileygoose @natashalynn @ExcitedForOctober @captivated
  • It's okay. You're the mom! You just try to think better of him. I am very shocked that they didn't pop him positive the second time. Anytime any of my acquaintances are on probation with drug screens, if they "can't pee", the second time they will consider it a positive.
  • @wilsomom yep, that's the mom in you holding on to the tiniest hope he might actually he telling the truth :(
  • @captivated @excitedforoctober Yep, you guys are right about the mom thing. I guess since he hadn't been adjudicated (sp? - found guilty yet) she said they can't do as much, but they will file today they said. They also said his pee is always showing up very diluted & if he was on real probation he would get charged for that too.
  • Not going to look good for him in court.
  • @captivated I know! You're not going to believe this....they came & he was still in bed, got up & said he don't need to pee! Wtheck! So they took him in & said he has until 5pm to go or they're charging him. The guy told me the courts hate it when they don't go, they'd rather you just test dirty & deal with it. Not going is like saying f you to the courts.
  • omg his so stupid he really would get more trouble for putting them through all this they don't have time for his attitude ya know. Good thing they took him in he needs the authorities especially after being so rude to you guys I would have kicked my kid out well my hubby would have lol. Hopefully they can get through him.
  • Holy crap man. He's really pushing his limits hey. Are they watching him all day??! Please keep me updated, ill be thinking of you all day!
  • edited April 2013
    @wilsomom its a mother's instinct to worry, but don't. He's involved with the law now, let the law handle it. He's old enough to know what the consequences are and whether he wants to put more on his plate or not. He'll eventually get tired of all this and he'll start behaving to get himself out of all this mess.

Just take a deep breath, and pray.
  • I was going to say if he doesn't go then they usually violate is probation. Sometime kid's think we are super stupid. And try to play us.lol good luck!
  • Thanks everyone, he finally went & I just picked him up. They won't have the results until tomorrow. He swears it will be clear so I guess we'll see. @stella @perly @natashalynn @jules @captivated
  • Is it possible that since it took him 3 days to pee that whatever he took is out of his system now?
  • I know pot stays around for 30 days but can run clean if the urine is diluted. Anything else I don't know. But I betcha @captivated does haha ;)
  • @smcox I've been told hard drugs will be out of your system in 3 days, but weed takes a month. Of course each drug & each person is different. As much as he's been drinking I would think it's possible.
  • @natashalynn Yeah, his urine almost always looks like water. Hopefully today it wasn't since it was his first morning urine.
  • edited April 2013
    They test the spec. grav of the urine. If this is diluted beyond normal limits, it's an automatic failure. Weed, depending on how much is smoked, body chemistry, metabolism etc, it can take a few days to a month. I've smoked before and taken a clean test three days later (smoked every night for two weeks). Did nothing to "flush" my system.

It is VERY likely that since he has dragged this on for three days, he will piss clean. Weed would be the exception if he's smoking consistently.

Opiates like heroin, pain pills (oxy, percocet, vicodin) are out of your system in 2-3 days). Same with cocaine etc. Adderall is usually extended release and can have a long half life, but three days is usually sufficient for that as well.

I doubt his test will pop unless it is weed. Even then, three days may have been enough if he wasn't smoking regularly. The good news is that drugs stay present in our urine much longer than blood.

Can you ask what drug panel they are using? In a regular 4-5 panel drug test, vicodin and percocet will not pop for "opiates". The opiate test in a small panel test only tests for morphine derived drugs like dilaudid, morphine, heroin etc. Perc and vicodin do not convert to morphine in our body.

I never knew this ^ until I went for an interview at the local jail and had been on narcotic meds for kidney stones. They whipped out a drug test right in the middle of the interview. I was thinking, crap, I don't have my prescriptions with me. But it was all negative. That's when I found out that they can't test for those painkillers in a small panel test. Very many people believe they do.
  • @captivated Yeah I can ask her tomorrow. I know at one point she said they could even tell if he was drinking alcohol, which I didn't know they could do with urine.
  • Oh okay. They are doing an extensive urine screen :) I assumed so because you said it was sent out (no dipstick), but was just curious.
  • Well glad he finally went he probably did have choice u can only hold it for so long so his only option would have been to pee his pants in which cause they would have failed him probably. But as far as it being out of his system very possible since his been drinking like crazy and I know there are things out there that can help it out of ur system in high school there was many football players that had to get tested all the time that's what they would do. But there's always chance for anything. They should do another surprise one were they come take him in the morning he wouldn't even know its coming especially since they just tested him.
  • Yeah I don't know much about drugs but it would just make sense too me that since he dragged it out so long that he would come up clean. They should have failed him the second day...
  • @smcox Yeah they originally said they would fail him the second day then they changed It for some reason.
  • People need to stop being so lenient on him @wilsomom. This is just furthering his "invincible" teenage attitude. He's going to feel like he can get away with anything without repercussions. I hope to god he is found guilty at the hearing. If he isn't, you're going to have an extremely rough road ahead of you. :(
  • He agreed yesterday to plead guilty to a lessor charge. It would still be domestic violence, but one degree lower. I'm hoping they throw the books at him considering his attitude, grades, he got suspended for fighting at school, the not peeing, etc. It's not that I want him in trouble, I want him to get help while he's still young. The prosecutor seems to think it's a good idea because the evidence for the trial is a little iffy. He would still get sentenced this way & if he ever gets a domestic violence charge again it's an automatic felony. That's a huge motivator to watch his temper. My husband has a felony from a million years ago so my son knows how that can affect your life. @captivated
  • I agree with captivated 10000000%. Maybe request that they test him again in a week or so, make it a surprise and do not let him drag it out again.
  • @natashalynn They test him once a week by appointment. A surprise one might be a good idea later in the week.