How do I get my son off the bottle?

edited April 2013 in Babies
My son's still on the bottle when he should have been of long ago. He needs one to fall asleep so takes one in the afternoon and one at night. I can't just throw them all away because I have a bottle-fed 3 month old and he flips when he sees hers. I've been trying to get him to drink his milk and get full before nap or bedtime but as soon as I lay hin down without a bottle he's screaming. I don't know what to do.

Comments

• Good luck! I wish I could help, but both my kids were off the bottle before they turned 1. Started a sippy at 5-6 months.
  • I wish I could help I am currently trying to get my 18 month off his bottle also. He refuses to drink milk out of a sippy cup and I have bought many. Im gonna have to have to just make them disappear and deal with fits for a few days. Hope you can figure it out and if you find what works let me know!
  • edited April 2013
    My son is almost 19 months and I'm worried about his future teeth health. He drinks out of a regular cup whenever he's thirsty during the day and he's pretty much off the sippy conpletely unless it's a dark liquid, just in case he spills on the carpets. For his nap today I tried a sippy cup with milk but he just screamed at the sight of it and ended up not even napping. He's attached to the bottle itself but without being able to completely remove them from my house I'm just at a loss.
  • Just put water in the bottle. That won't harm his health & either it will satisfy him or he'll get tired of just water & give up. Just don't give in, water only! :)
  • I tried everything with my daughter when she was 12 months different cups the water thing then I waited 4 days with just trying it sippy she wanted noting to do with I actually made post to get ideas on here nothing. So she's just been having one bottle before bed. Well few days ago I decided to try give the milk In sippy again she had no problem, and since it was small sippy I gave her tinny bit more she finished that too. Tonight she just had it out of the sippy again. I know in her case she just needed more time until she was ready. So I would try the things you haven't and then if it doesn't work give ur lo more time they are all different. She's 16 months now by the way.
  • I just stopped using them. They will not starve themselves and it isn't goid for their teeth especially giving milk b4 bed. I know first hand my mom didn't bottle break me until 2 when all four front teeth had to be pulled. The adult teeth don't come in any sooner either. At eleven months I took it n didn't give it back my hubby thought it was to fast n young, but giving then taking I think is just cruel just lije anything else u have to stick to your guns.
  • Have you tried the Nuk active cup. My son will not drink milk out any other sippy cup right now. He will drink his water out of the other sippy cups with the hard top but not milk. The Nuk has a soft spout so I guess feels like a bottle to him. After a few months ill try his other sippy cups. Hope you find something that works