Home School/Cyber Pre-School

edited April 2013 in Parenting
I didn't know where to put this. I have a few questions about home schooling and I am starting research early so if I have plenty of time to ask myself questions and get accurate answers. I don't expect much help from here because it isn't a drama related subject but I figured it is worth a shot. I know it is long but please read it all, also please don't judge me.

I am interested to know if anyone has any experience in a home pre-school course, or a cyber pre-school once my daughter turns three as I am interested in enrolling my daughter if there is an available option. A bit of background information/why I am not looking for a public pre-school.

Okay so we (Hubby and I) moved to a rather hoity toity community because it has one of the top school districts in our area, we have forced ourselves to make ends meet and put up with the high taxes because we wanted my son to have the best possible schooling available. I have talked to the school about the problem I have encountered and they promise to work on them but nothing has improved.

Long story short I HATE the school district, my son is incredibly clever (no lie - this kid is smart than most adults I know) but the school has never challenged him. Because of that he has given up on trying to learn - he convinced several grades of teachers to actually do the work for him/ give him the answers. I'm not joking when I say that, he is smart but like many people if given the option of an easy way out he will take it. He figured how to manipulate his teachers at an early age - which has caused him to not apply himself. His teacher this year caught on early and "forces" my son to do his own work. HE is a great teacher and always has a creative lesson plan, well did until the district told him he had to teach in the same form that the other teachers do. (Basically program the kids to recite the information and repeat it on standardized tests so the school district gets higher marks, higher marks = more funding.) :L This doesn't inspire my son to learn and because of that he has realized that since the school only requires you to "have the potential" (seriously that is what every subject on his report card says in EVERY subject) to pass he spends 90% of the class goofing off only learning the bare bones. I have tried to encourage him at home and sometimes I can grab his attention but he has often said to me "I don't need to know this for a test, so who cares." My answers of "So YOU know it." Have fallen on deaf ears. I have often wondered if it was just me but after talking to my neighbor she said the same thing about her sons.

I wanted to put my son into cyber school (I can give you a mile long list of additional problems I have encountered with this district ranging from bullying on the bus to ignoring a kindergartener with wet pants that wants his mommy.) and he was excited about it, I know several people who have their kids enrolled in it and both the parents and the kids LOVE it. The one I looked into has field trips with other cyber students, (for socializing) and several options for physical education requirements (Basically you can sign up for a team sport or a lesson [anything from karate, to soccer - even a child's zumba class would be accepted as long as the hours are logged by a parent) . We were both sold on the idea, until his father (who never took an interest in his schooling beforehand) insisted (and convinced my son) that it was a bad idea, that V would hate it, kids would make fun of him... etc.. X( So my son is still in the public school. It does bother me that he has no interest in learning but he is still young and maybe his attitude will change once he hits middle school in a year. *Finger crossed*

Anyways! To the point of this discussion; My daughter, she is two and will be three in February. My husband and I really do not want to go through this mess with the school district again. We have discussed it and have agreed that we will pursue cyber school with her. I'm a stay at home mom, I do work the occasional week end and I am considering getting a part time job in the evenings so hubby or I will be home with her so my daughter and I do a lot of hands on "messy play" and learning. She can already count to three and back, knows her basic colours and shapes. So I am not looking to "pawn off" her education.

WE ARE NOT "RELIGIOUS" (I am a pagan {{ http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paganism }} and hubby is an Atheist {{ http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Athiest }} ) SO A CHURCH PRE-SCHOOL IS OUT OF THE QUESTION FOR US! We are not against religion but have chosen to allow our children to find their own path - I have tried church day care and I was told (by a parent) that I was abusing my child by not attending church and that my entire family will burn in hell. :-W My son has expressed interest in the church and has attended until he lost interest. My feeling on this is if you truly believe in something you will follow it despite what you have been influenced by your parents to believe.

The daycares in our area charge way to much ($500 + a week) or have extremely low reviews, so I would have to get a full time job just to afford them. I don't mind paying for a pre-school but that amount is insane!

So does anyone have any ideas or similar experiences with preschool options?

Comments

• Also I know it is a big issue/debate of young children and multi media - I am not looking to shove my child in front of a computer or television all day I am just looking for a regulated education option for young children. I have researched abc mouse and am considering it, but I want to know if that is the only option.
  • I'm clueless, but here is a bump!
  • Bump!
  • I am going to have to come up with some ideas myself for my 18 mth old and 1 on the way...the only options in my area for preschool is one that only allows low income and the rest you pay above daycare prices...I know a friend that bought the curriculum for kindergarten homeschooling and taught her children that to prepare them and they do not believe in more then 30 mons a day of computer/tv so they didnt do online encouragement...I like that idea and right now I allready take my daughter to children based outings like reading at the library and play day at the park so she gets the socialization and ill continue to find stuff like that until she is in real school
  • I think as long as they are involed with kids there age a lot they are fine. I think atleast a couple hours a day they should be interacting.
  • You need to make sure the school is accredited. I work at a college and have had to turn students away who have "graduated" from a fake online school. There are lots of them out there so do your research wisely!
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • @wilsomom home schools her kids if I remember correctly, so hopefully she can respond!
  • @pineapple07 I just haven't responded bc I don't do anything formal for preschool so I probably wouldn't be much help. Lol I didn't even know they had cyber preschools. I use a Charlotte Mason approach which is very laid back in the early years. I do teach how to read around age 5, but that as formal as it gets until age 6 for me. :)