thyroid causing miscarriage?

edited May 2013 in Loss
I got a call from my dr saying my thyoid levels are off. She's prescribed me meds for it. She also said its very common to have a miscarriage when this happens. I'm in tears. Has anyone had a pregnancy okay with thyroid messed up?!

I'm 6w4d

Comments

• I can't believe she told you that! Yes, it can IF you don't treat it with medication. I am on my second pregnancy with thyroid problems and I am not even good at taking my pills, don't worry.
  • @excitedforoctober so I have hope? I'm getting them tomorrow. She told me to take it on an empty stomach. To absorb it more. When did you start taking your meds?!
  • It will be ok. I don't see the reason to not eat though normally people want u to eat with medicine.
  • @wilsosmom @wilsomom

I heard you've had this?

@jules she said its helps absorb it. Idk ..
  • I had hyperthyroid last pregnancy & sadly lost it at 14 weeks. They didn't put me on medicine though, so they probably caught yours earlier. Was yours hyper or hypo? They told me hyper is more likely to miscarry. I would think since you're getting meds right away it should be okay. Try to relax & not worry! Easier said than done, I know.
  • @wilsomom I'm so sorry for your loss. :( I looked on my chart online and it says hypo. I don't know the difference :/ I'm getting my meds first thing in the morning
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • @pauljrsmommy @jules yes, you are supposed to take it on an empty stomach so the hormone could properly absorb, so first thing in the morning and wait atleast 30 min before eating.

I started taking them years ago, before I got pregnant. Do u know the dosage of the medicine?
  • They say you are considered "high risk" when you have hypothyroidism but they just really want to play it safe and keep an extra eye on the baby, please don't let it scare you. Hypothyroidism is REALLY common.
  • edited May 2013
    I have had hypothyroidism since I was 16, got pregnant Nov 10 (i was 32) was not considered high risk drs were not concerned at all just normal blood work and appts nothing extra.. had a completely healthy pregnancy and baby!! No worries very common!!
  • Also hypothyroidism is under active and hyperthyroidism is over active.. hypo they give synthroid (generic is levothyroxin) not sure of meds for hyperactive.. good luck
  • That's good news that's it's hypo...that means your thyroid isn't producing enough hormone & they can give you the prescription form of the hormone to make up for the difference. With good monitoring you will be fine! :)
  • I see that makes sense. I wish you the best and that medicine really helps! I'll be keeping you in my prayers.
  • I had my thyroid removed to to thyroid issues and have two beautiful kids!
  • Im on dose 175, but with each pregancy I have to increase my dose
  • @homebirthadvocate ya she said shed draw blood again to check it in 4 weeks. Its hard not to worry :(

@excitedforoctober idk the dosage yet. I'm eating cereal and then going to go walk up to the pharmacy up he st. I was just going to wait till I get hungry around lunch time to take it and then take my next one tomorrow morning before I eat breakfast. Think that would be okay? I want to take it as soon as possible.

@0811 okay. I think thstd what she prescriped me. Ill know more when i go get it. Thank you. You give me hope :)

@wilsomom i hope so thank you hun!

@kyliemommie what does it mean to have your thyroid taken out? :(
  • Oh yeah that's fine, taking it with food won't do anything bad, its just alot better without food, but its good to want to take it as soon as possible.
  • How do they detect a thyroid problem is it a routine check up on pregnancy?
  • @excitedforoctober do you know how long it takes to start working? I think this is why I've been soooo tired.

@2lilblessings they drew my blood a few days ago. I get it checked again in 4 weeks. It usually is aroutine check up for blood tests. Make sure your dr checks it. My pa went through and told me what I was being tested for. I had blood drawn 3 weeks ago. It changed that quickly
  • edited May 2013
    O ok cuz I see its commomn I dont know if I was ever checked for that on my pregnancies
  • I had surgery to fully remove it due to my thyroid issues. I just take a pill everyday to replace the hormone that the thyroid produces
  • @pauljrsmommy I was prescribed levothyroxin as well. I was told to take it as soon as my eyes open before my feet hit the floor in the morning. Take it with water only and don't eat or drink anything for an hour after. Ask your doctor to be sure (: they made me feel like shit if I took them any other way. You'll be fine! Good luck!
  • @excitedforoctober
    @mrsrobbins6113
    @kyliemommie
    @wilsomom
    @0811
    @homebirthadvocate

Have any of you felt jittery after taking it? I waiting half hour to eat afteer. Thats what my dr told me to do. Idk if I feel jittery from sleeping or from the meds. Usually after naps I feel jittery. I'm not really sure. I called my dr and I'm waiting on a call back. I hope this is normal.
  • I never had to take it so I'm not sure. You could always call your dr or pharmacy & ask them if that's normal.
  • Nope, I never felt anything at all with them but yours might be stronger. What's the dosage?
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • @wilsomom thank you!
    @excitedforoctober I'm not sure the dosage is 125. I hope it wouldbt be too much to make me go into hyper.
    @homebirthadvocate it can't make me go to hyper can it? My drs going to call me tom the nurses there said its pretty normal and it might take some getting used too. Maybe I need to wait a full hour to eat after it.
  • @pauljrsmommy I can't remember if I felt jittery. It made me even more nauseous sometimes and gave me headaches. Hopefully your doctor can answer more.
  • I don't think so I've been taking it so long (18 yes) I doesn't now for sure but I really don't think so maybe something else?? Caffeine? Pregmancy?
  • Yes it can make you hyper if the dose is too high.