Tips for a 'bolter'?

edited May 2013 in "Terrible Two's"
My son is 20 months old and crazy fast. The second his feet touch the ground he's gone, running towards a road or down a hall trying to get into every door. Then he completely IGNORES me no matter what I say or how I say it. I'm getting so worn out chasing him down with my 4 month old in her carseat. How can I get him to stay near me?

Comments

• Get A Monkey Leash From Walmart I Have One For My 19Month Old And It Is A Life Saver.. You Find Them In The Baby Section At Walmart
  • I second the kid backpack/leash combo. We use ours when we go to a crowded place since my 22 month old will just up and start running! He's quick!
  • I would never use a backpack leash but that's me. If my son doesn't listen to me he gets a spanking and sits in time out. I know some don't agree with my method but it works.
  • I think backpack leashes are great. I'd rather have my kid on a "leash" then let them bolt off and get run over
    @kitshay do you have a baby gate for the hall? He is testing his boundaries, there are so many exciting things in this world he has to see them all now lol.
    If someone could watch your 4 month old, you could work on it with him
  • The leash is a lifesaver! I used to think they were cruel and I made fun of people walking their children on leashes until I had a kid. My son doesn't listen, spankings only make him more furious and he won't stay in time out so the leash is the perfect solution. Especially when we are in public or somewhere crowded. I had my ah ha moment at the SF zoo when my son kept bolting and tried to get into another families stroller.
  • U know I hate those leashes but I've also always said that with kids like that if your out and about and have more then one safety first. Sounds like ur lo could really get hurt so who cares what it looks like and that some say it's cruel hitting your kids isn't any better. I am much more against hitting especially that age then a backpack/leash. My biological father was all about hitting just like many other kids that were adopted that I know. And boy did it case some serious problem for a lot of them. Thank God the parents that adopted me don't do it. And I just like their other kids have a lot of respect and we never been troubled makers or not listen. And the point is they were able to do that without hitting. I hope u can find what works best for your lo though!
  • edited May 2013
    Backpack leashes are awesome! My daughter has a Teddy bear one and she can put all her favorite little toys in there. :)

I do not condone spanking! It causes a lot of physiological issues. And at what cost? You get your kid to fear you?! No no! hitting is not for me!
  • You know, before I had Ollie I thought those monkey leashes were awful! But now..I am re evaluating my stance. I think that as long as you aren't using it as a substitute for actually paying attention to your child, and you aren't yanking them around with it. Then it's fine. I think would really enjoy being able to walk up ahead of me and explore on his own! Plus have you ever walked with your arm above your head for an extended amount of time? It's uncomfortable! I am sure kids hate it!
  • I also used reins with my oldest as he was the same! Think you guys call them leashes in the US! I never held them and walked him like you would a dog but I would wrap the strap around my wrist and encourage him to walk holding my hand to help him learn the correct way. If he did happen to bolt, I would then have the safety of the reins to ensure he didn't get in any danger x