Military Moms?

edited June 2013 in USA moms
I'm curious if their are any military moms out there? Or military wives that are also in the military.

I was wondering if you could tell me benifits pay and stuff like that when you have a kid? I have one on the way and have considered joining to help support my family after my baby is born. Me or my fiance havent been able to find a job with good benefits. We are on medicaid (kinda) and its such a hassle. Any help would be great! TIA!

Comments

• You can look up base pay with an online chart. You get BAH if you're married and have kids. You don't get extra pay for having children, and your pay doesn't change if you have more. Base pay for an E-4(about 2-3 years in the Army) in the army is around $1400-$1600 plus BAH if you're married which is around and extra $1000(depending on where you're at give or take a few hundred). You get full medical for you, your spouse and kids and base housing which would take away your BAH. I believe when you first go in you'll earn around $900-$1000 as base pay. Look it up to make sure cause I might be a little off.
  • Base pay is your amount per month lol sorry
  • @cristinalynn lol its okay I get it. I just meant like if your kids can follow you or not. Idk still thinking about it. I am so stressed out :'(
  • You'll go to basic anywhere from 4-12 weeks depending on what you're going in for. When you get orders for your post(wherever they send you) you can take only your kids and spouse with you that they will pay for. :-)
  • Once you are out of training children and spouses can go where ever you are stationed. Bah (well when my husband was in the navy) depends on where you are stationed, my hubby was an e-4 in the navy and his base pay was about 1100 a pay check plus 1705 for housing which showed on his check but was taken straight back for base housing.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • @homebirthadvocate honestly I don't think I can. :/ its be way to hard I think. I haven't gone a day without seeing my son. He's two now.
  • Idk if this is true or not so correct me if im wrong but someone told me that while your in you have to temporally have to sign off all rights of your kids to someone else like hubby or ur parents
  • Wrong. You do have to have a care plan in place. It just states who will take care of your children in the event of a deployment .
  • I was in the military as well. In order to go to boot camp, you are required to give temporary custody to someone else (parents or child's father) unless you're married. After that, you will be required to maintain an up to date family care plan. this includes who will watch your children for short durations (under 30 days) and longer durations. Failure to comply with family care plan is an immediate separation from the military.

You DO get extra money for having a child. You get what is called BAH with dependents. This is 300 dollars more than single BAH. It does not increase with more kids though. BaH is calculated upon your area. Here in VA, it is about 1400/mo. Back home in NYC it was about $2600/mo in addition to your base pay. They will pay for your family to move to your duty station, but deployments and boot camp will be left behind.
  • edited June 2013
    I'm active duty air force. ^capitivated is right. At least that's what ive heard. I didn't have kids and was single when I joined but now with kids we are required to have a family care plan since both my husband and I are both active duty. If one was civillian or gaurd you don't need one. But you need two people on there. One that's short term like if you would be called for deployment within 12 hours or something. And long term the person who will be pretty much watching them the entire time you're gone. At least that's what air force needs. But I'm sure all the branches pretty much are the same with their family care plans

Our Bah in Arizona is about 900? Plus dependents. If I'm correct. Its somewhere around there. Our paychecks combined we get about 2500 every two weeks. Unless you live on base then you dont get the BAH because thats basically your 'rent'. But pay Depends on where you go.
  • Yes @kayleigh27 is correct. I forgot to mention about living in base housing. You receive no BAH, but all utilities are included (except cable etc). I grew up on base housing, but often times it is smarter tolive off base. I always lived off base because i made money on Bah that way. I'd get paid 1400, but my first apartment was about 700. If I'd lived on base, we would have lost money. Weoown our house now. I have ZERO desire to live in base housing with all the dependa drama. Lol!