i just drank castor oil...

edited June 2013 in Labor
Last weekend I tried the castor oil, took about 2-3 big gulps. Didn't do anything but turn my poo all watery and I only had 3 quick trips to the bathroom over a 8 hr period. So im trying again. I just mixed an entire 4oz bottle into my Gatorade and downed it. Didn't exactly mix like I hoped so I still ended up drinking straight oil from the bottom of the glass but at least this time im actually drinking liquids regularly (I've been having a dehydration problem this 2 months). Pleeeeeeeeeaase labor come!!!!!!!! Im soo huge so uncomfortable sooooo hot it's 101° here! I also got another 4oz bottle in case I need to. How long should I wait before drinking that one?
What do I do to make this happen? FYI GOING OUT FOR A LONG WALK IS NOT POSSIBLE BECAUSE OF THE DRY HEAT ITS TOO DANGEROUS

Comments

• edited June 2013
    I would just wait. I know your uncomfortable but maybe do some squats (i did one unintentionally and my water broke :) ) or walk alot around the mall or house?. You don't want to drink too much oil that's not good for anyone.
  • Just keep moving I wouldn't do anymore oil too soon that's gonna really mess things up for you.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • When u have contractions try chamomile tea that induced me
  • Having lots of horrible cramping most likely from the bm's, also having uncomfortable tightening. Went for a walk around 930 pm it didn't last long I wasn't feeling well and came back. This might be it! I hope so. Im in so much pain. Im 37 weeks btw
  • 37 weeks is way to soon to start drinking that. It won't do anything but give you an upset stomach, and isn't exactly safe. You shouldn't try it until 39 to 40 weeks. But even then you risk causing your lo to go into distress and have a bowl movement inside the womb which will cause issues for your lo.

Try to relax, you'll hit 39 weeks before you know it.

In the mean time, do squats, use a birthing/yoga ball. Those will help prep and strengthen you for labor. Your baby will come when it's ready.
  • Agreed ^^^!!

So much growing and brain development happens in the last 3 weeks! Don't rush it!
  • I would honestly cool it with the castor oil, your only 37 weeks and if baby isnt ready nothing you do will make him come out and castor oil can actually make him go into distress and have a bowel movement ..did you talk to your dr about this first? Maybe try some evening primrose oil capsules they will help soften the cervix
  • Please stop. I don't mean to be rude, but being big and uncomfortable is part of pregnancy... And this is your second baby so you're not exactly new to this. You knew what to expect when you got pregnant the second time. The castor oil only give you diarrhea, but it can cause harm to you baby and you've waited a long 37 weeks like to mess everything up in the end. Its not worth it. Trust me, we all understand how you feel because we've all had babies but we all had to suck it up till the baby was ready and unless you already went into labor, you're gonna have to wait too.
  • edited June 2013
    Ok fyi I have spoken to my dr and she dies know im trying the castor oil so thank u and no it didn't work so im not doing it again it was nasty. Another big reason I forgot to mention that im trying to induce my labor is because im attempting a vbac, if I dont go into labor by my due date I will be taken in for a c section. The hospital has this rule about not being allowed to be induced with pitocin if had a prior c section. I just trying to avoid another c section I really want to do this vaginally so yes im a little desperate to get this ball rolling. Maybe now u all understand why my patience is running low.
  • Nope still don't understand! No need to induce, no need to let them force you into an unwanted and un needed csection, nor is there any reason to possibly stress the baby out with trying to get 'the ball rolling' before your child is ready.
  • Remember that YOU are the patient and they are the doctor. You hired them! So you don't have to do anything you don't want to do, like an un needed c section
  • I understand what you mean, and even though i strongly believe that labor starts when the body and baby are ready and only then, i suggest that you only try things that will not put your baby in distress because that will only lead to a c-section as well.
  • I'm sorry your not feeling well and don't want a c section but in my eyes babies health comes first. I know discomfort in 4 feet 10 inches and carrying baby wasn't the easiest however I would never risk the babies health just bc I don't want a c section or don't want to go past my due date. Like everyone is saying your the patient it's your baby your body they can't make u have c section so if baby isn't here by the due date and u want to do vaginal u just simply keep waiting at home until that baby is ready. I'm no doctor but they all come out to meet us at some point early, on time, or late. Can't stay in there forever. And im sorry if I'm coming off rude just trying to put myself in your shoes which in pregnant with our second and will do whatever and however long as long as our baby is safe. Just kinda confused why force it u already waited this long few more weeks won't hurt but only help your baby!
  • Agree with everyone^^^. No one can "make" you have a c section. Don't let the dr or hospital push you into anything you don't want. Your baby will come when she's ready, 37 weeks is still early. You're not even technically overdue til 42 weeks. Doctors just want things done faster for the $$$. C sections cost a lot more than vaginal births.
  • ^^exactly! I used castor oil with my second but i was also 40+ and was already in early labor.
  • @homebirthadvocate I've had my doula and a few midwives and have read articles on it possibly causing meconium. I even thought you had mentioned it a couple of years ago when this board was really active and a lot of woman were trying it. It causes it from putting stress on the baby. Which is possible with any induction or stress, a baby can pass meconium.

And I wouldn't say it's no big deal, especially when mot handled right. A couple of friends who had that happened, their little ones had to spend time in nicu. One didn't show any issues for a couple of days and then got really sick and spent a whole month in nicu and almost died from not getting the meconium cleared from her lungs properly
  • @littlefae I think its a matter of how the dr or midwife handles the meconium like delay cord clamping and making sure doesn't breath too soon if cord is still attached. There are plenty of home birthers with pooping babies ;) no issues. Hope that made sense I just woke up.
  • I would agree that meconium is probably not as big a deal as they make it as long as baby is not left to asperate ...but the problem with a baby having meconium during a hospital birth is delayed bonding which (I know from experience) really sux, I couldnt hold or nurse my baby right away because nicu had to come in and suction her forever and clean her up, meanwhile I'm so upset not being able to hold or nurse my baby...so I guess its all in how its handled in the environment you choose to have the baby in
  • Just let him or her come when ready.....42 weeks is full term if im correct, so you have time sweets....I understand wanting a vaginal delivery but as long as he/she is safe and healthy it shouldnt matter how they enter the world......Dont let your dr talk.you into a c section unless the baby or you is at risk and that is your only option.....Good luck!
  • @PREGOAGAINYAY thanks I had my baby back on July 2 she was 2 days over due I went into labor the day before I was scheduled for a csection I had her vaginally it was great