Read a post about labor and....

edited June 2013 in Labor
I was wondering when ppl say, "I was in labor 36 hrs or 6 hrs etc." is that counting from when pain started or does that time start when u get to the hospital? I'm like really confused about this! Lmao! Hello ladies!

Comments

• I say my labor started when I noticed my water broke. I didn't know the pain I felt prior to my water breaking was contractions so I didn't count that. I just thought my son was sitting on a nerve or something Lol. But I guess it depends on the person like for someone being induced maybe for them it starts the moment they get to the hospital and start the induction process or maybe its when they first start feeling contractions.
  • My water never broke on its own. On my discharge papers from the hospital it dsid labor was 17hrs but thats only how long i was there before i had the baby. I was having contractions houra before that. When people ask tho i normally tell them 17hrs because thats what the hospital counted.
  • I counted my labor from the time I thought my water broke at 2:00am on oct 11th, it hadn't really broken I had just sprung a leak lol, to when I actually had my son at 4:00am oct 12th. So that was 26 hours total with 2 hours of pushing.
  • I count from when I start having regular, uncomfortable contractions. My water only broke on it's own twice, once before contractions started & once after. The other seven times it broke well into active labor. For me, if I have to think "I wonder if I'm in labor?" then usually I'm not. Lol Once you're in true labor, there's no question, you know! So I guess that's when I start counting.
  • I count mine from time water broke too. But I think most is when they have regular contractions that's what I would do if my water didn't break I its own
  • From the time my water broke :)

@frantastic my water broke at 2am on October 11th too :) awesome.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • I counted from regular contractions
  • edited June 2013
    Well my water broke and my contractions started at 5mins apart immediately so for me that was the start of labor. I had a very short but extremely intense 3hr 45 min labor. I had been having very painful but sporadic braxton hicks all day and my midwife said I could have been in active labor all day but there's no way to say for sure so she just started it from when my water broke.
  • I counted my labor since I get in the hospital otherwise they will be 24hours or more !
  • Wow I didn't even think to ask or remember how long I labored for with my first! Dangit, gonna have to write that one on the list to ask dr. I was induced so I'm not even sure that counts :/ but great question!
  • I counted my labor from the time my first contractions started...I was in labor for 3 hours exactly! Is it true that the next delivery will be quicker?
  • I was induced so I counted it from when my induction started.
  • Me too @monkey_girl
    My induction started on Wednesday @12 pm and I finally had her Sunday at 655 am
  • edited June 2013
    @0811 OMG! That's a long time! Mine was 32 hours. People should start counting from the second they tell you cant have food or drinks...lol I was soooo thirsty!
  • I counted mine from starting the inducing till c section :( I for got but it was a lot of hrs
  • @monkey_girl I know tell me about it !!! I was so exhausted but really really didn't want a c section...those ice chips got soo old LOL!!
  • Hmmm not sure how long I'd say mine was. If go by when water broke its 18 hours, by regular, painful contractions its 12 hours or if I go by when hospital say I was in established labour its 5 hours
  • Lol I was checking and didn't get notifications b/c silly me wasn't logged in lol but thanks everyone for responding I have the slightest idea how long to say I was in labor my little boy was my first and i wasn't expecting to go into labor on the fathers b-day! Once I was at the hospital I had my baby like 10 hrs later. Someone mentioned they had a time on their discharge papers I will have to check that out.
  • I counted when they broke my water i wasnt progressing at all the 4 hours prior to breaking my water. So i counted 24 hours after that
  • If I count from when my water broke it was 113 hours but I generally tell people 36 which is when they induced me and I started feeling regular contractions. With my second I say around 34 hours which is when I got regular more painful contractions but I had been having period type pains for almost 24 hours before that x
  • I counted from the time I got to the hospital..I went in for water leakage, so I guess I should count from then lol so like 5-6 hours with only 45 minutes of pushing.
  • @trixiesmom8 lol I think I was freaking out, I don't even know how long I pushed!
  • My first i started counting when my water broke which was about 13/14 hours. My 2nd i was induced and was about 7ish hours. 3rd, i was in faulse labor for a month before lol. But i was only in labor for about 3/4 hours. I was only at hospital for about 2/3 hours before she got here. It went very fast. Lol.
  • @angel26 your last was fast! I know I was at the hospital for about 10hrs b4 I had him but it seem to have went by super fast!
  • Ya, it went fast. Lol. And it hurt a lot. Lol.
  • Haha..I hope my other labors go as smooth as my first. The doc and I were joking the whole time lol.
  • My doctors "claim" you are not in labor until youre 5cm dialated, I do not agree lol if I am having contractions and in pain I am in labor lol