relationship problems

Not looking for advice per se, just need to get this out of my system.
My bf and I are having problems. He's a hard worker, which I absolutely love and admire of him. And I really do appreciate of him. But he can't stop working. When he's with us, his heads still at work. Well, less with our daughter, but almost always with me. hes had a hard month, changing jobs, his grandfather passing away, but this has just been getting worse for the last six months. I finally talked with him last night, and told him how lonely I am, and how I can't do this the rest of my life. Suggested counseling, a break, whatever he thinks he needs. He says he doesn't know what he needs or if he can even change. I told him that if we can't fix this, we will break up, and I'd rather break up before things get terrible and we resent each other, so we can truly co parent our daughter.
But I'm heart broken. We both love each other so much, but that's not enough. I cried, he cried. And now I've got to go to work with such a heavy heart. I just wanna curl up and cease to exist for a little while.

Comments

• Awe I'm sorry! My husband is a work aholic too so I can relate. At least he was honest with you & shared his heart & feelings too, that's a good sign. Men view their work as an extension of themselves just like us women view our home as an extension of ourselves so that may be why he can't get it off his mind. Hopefully he can learn to let go & enjoy you when he's with you, like learn to be in the moment.
  • At least you have a man that shares his feelings! Mine won't cause he doesn't know how! You gotta keep it positive and tell him that you love how hard he works to support his family but you just need a little emotional love too! Try and give him something it get his mind off of work at home ;-)
  • I think that the fact u guys talked it out and on same page is great just no solution yet..I think be may come around maybe u guys can change yourroutine around that may jump start him wanting to change you never know. Hope things work out for the best!
  • sorry to hear that i am with u on the hard working and even at home he's head is at work cuz my hubs is the same but seems like ur bf has been going thru a lot of bad things at once it will be very sad to leave him he would probably get more depressed i think u should give him some time and maybe convince him to get counseling later on
  • Thanks everyone. (I'm at work and no time to tag) reading these definitely makes me feel better.
    I'm not looking to leave him any time soon. But I wanted to stress that this is a deal breaker for me if we can't fix it. I know fixing stuff isn't easy or quick, not if you want a real fix. Its just breaking my heart to not be able to make him happy, and that I even had to have that talk with him. I am super proud of him and I do appreciate what he does. I'm going to look at marriage counselors tonight that meet both our budget restrictions as well as our time, since he just started a new job, and won't want to miss work.
    Thank you guys again. My heart doesnt feel as heavy.
    I know id feel better if I ate something but when im upset, I have zero appetite and everything sounds/smells/tastes disgusting.
  • My husband and I are going to marriage counseling and it is helping! Hopefully it does the same for you guys ♥
  • Well sounds like u know exactly what u want and need in a partner I think that's great and hope u guys can work on it and meet half way!
  • I think marriage counseling is the answer for you both. It sounds like you both love each other and are fully aware that there's problems that need to be fixed, so what you need to find is a way to meet half way which a marriage counselor can help you with. Good luck! Im sure you'll get through this.
  • Girl be thankful he's a work aholic. It would be much much worse if he was a dead beat dad. My honey isn't really a work aholic but one year he invested some of our money into a business and that was all he talked about for like 5 months. Drove me cRaZy but I just grinned and listened and tightened up my skills on how to change the subject quick.