What should I eat while losing weight?

edited July 2013 in Food
My body issues came way too close to ending my relationship with my kids' dad two nights ago. Today is the day I'm going to start some improvements! The first thing I'd like to do is lose weight, but I have NO idea how to eat healthy. I have terrible eating habits. I need some ideas quick for my grocery trip and so I can quit putting this off. Also, any suggestions for curbing craving? Thanks!

Comments

• First off... Make sure ur making changes for u and not just for baby's daddy. It won't work if its not for yourself. It's good to make the change to be healthier. Try to start working out, even if its just walking. Yogurts, oatmeal, lots of fruits and veggies, chicken breasts... There r lots of healthy foods. When u get hungry try snacking on raw veggies or fruit.
  • Well breakfast u can have oatmeal, I make simple scons all the time toast, eggs, and I would add some fruit with those or yogurt. Before u eat drink glass water helps fill fuller faster so you don't over eat. Drink green tea if u like tea that's good for weight loss. Then have small snack couple hrs later things such as fruit, veggies, nuts, crackers with little cheese, Apple sause, yogurt, granola bars are always good to have around. (And just remember the main thing is eating the right portions and having good healthy fats which will be your protein) there are many other healthy snacks but those are basic. For lunch u can do different types of salads, home made soups are great u can make a lot of it and save it, sandwiches are my personal favorite bc u can make them with anything pretty much gets some good protein there with heathy meats and avocado. Then do snack again couple hrs later. And dinner best way to go healthy is home cooked meals so you know exactly what's in there and can avoid the bad things. And u can have treats if you're cravings something just needs to be small amount. Calculate how many calories you can eatand loss weight or stay same weight whatever your goal is and stick to that. Eat the way u know is a new lifestyle something u can do forever great for the entire family. Not diet for few weeks until u get to the goal then going back to regular habits bc u will gain weight back fast and just get really bumed out about yourself. I'm sure u already know all these things and probably being hard on yourself. I hope everything works out well for you :)
  • @mommyof3girls, the changes are definitely for me. That incident was an eye opener showing me how terrible I really feel about myself and how badly I've ignored it. I almost left him rather than face my insecurities! It's pretty bad. :/ but he's been very reassuring since that breakdown and I'm ready to move forward with myself.
  • Good luck to you! I know how hard it is but you can do anything u set ur mind to. The first step is seeing the need for change. You already did that.. :) now, take small steps in changing ur lifestyle. Example .. If u eat a lot of fast food.. Make it a goal to cut that out for a week and go from there. Small steps will make a huge difference. You're gonna start feeling so good about ur self. ;) don't let any fall backs hold u down. Just keep moving forward.
  • I will make this easy...eat ONLY whole foods! This means, if it comes pre packaged, or in a box, or includes ingredients with crazy names, then don't eat it. Also stick to the outside U of the grocery...typically the inside isles are full of pre packaged crap.
  • @ashley_smashley Do whole foods include dairy, cheese, eggs, yogurt, etc? What about meat & fish? I always get confused on those whether they're considered whole foods or not. Then for salads, what dressings do you use? Thanks!
  • @wilsomom it can. Depends on how you feel about dairy and meat. If you are ok with them then yes! We don't do much dairy in my home. Artificial dyes, flavors, and words that are to long to pronounce in a food label make it not edible in our home! Don't get me wrong there are a few things we splurge on..but I try to keep it clean eating around here.

For dressing I use oil and vinegars, or even an avocado puréed with some lemon, Greek yogurt, cilantro and a teeny bit if milk to get desired consistency. Ooo and I make ranch with Greek yogurt and my home made dried ranch mix. Hubs love the ranch! Generally anything that has mayo, I sub Greek yogurt!
  • @ashley_smashley Thanks, that makes sense. I love greek yogurt too! It's also a good sour cream replacement.
  • edited July 2013
    Take baby steps... Don't try doing all if this at once cause you'll be setting yourself up for failure.

First cut down on your portion sizes and cut out soda and sugar. Increase your water and add a nice little stroll once a day.

When your mind becomes healthy driven a little more start implementing more things little by little.

Remember it took time to gain it... Give yourself time to lose.
  • Start out slow and do small portion every 3/4 hours
  • Way to go! Great step in the right direction. I just started in March and down 22 lbs. I usually eat an egg white wheat wrap with a slice of cheese for breakfast... Remember protein keeps you fuller longer. Lunch is salad with low fat dressing and she type of protein on top...usually tuna. Dinner I usually have salad again bc its been so hot. You can really have Amy lean protein such as boneless skinless chicken, lean pork...I try and stay away fr red meats. Snacks (I eat a lot of fruits bc then I don't get that sugar craving) mid morning I eat strawberry and blueberries. Mid afternoon is Greek yogurt yopa is great! And after dinner snack is a fiber one bar (don't want to eat too heavy before bed. I also started p90x...I could never do pull ups in my life now I can so 25! It doesn't sound like alot but I can bench press 36 lbs...I couldn't even do the bar by itself before. I feel great:) and I keep healthy snacks on hand...in my school bag. Also sugarless gum is wonderful bc when I feel like eating I chew gum:) good luck!
  • Look up clean eating. Pretty much eat everything in it's most natural state. Look up Lacey marks weightloss on Facebook. Eat whole foods if it has more than 5 ingredients don't eat it. If it contains words you can not easily pronounce don't eat it. Mrs. Dash has a ton of seasonings that are 0 calorie and no sodium or low sodium so that will help with any bloating. Limit sodium. Drink water. Tons of water. I aim for 100 ounces. Sounds like a lot but start slow if you don't normally drink it. The first week or so will be hardest for cravings but after a week it will be easier. Start walking. Take the kids for a 20 minute walk then gradually increase time and speed. Download app my fitness pal to help track calories.
  • @YNVTish is right! Start slow don't get overwhelmed and we all fail at times we just have to get back up. It's hard to eat healthy in a house where everyone is eating junk so get everyone on board with you and you will be more likely to succeed. You got this girl. :)