otc meds and breastfeeding

edited July 2013 in Breastfeeding
I've got a mad headache and im wondering if the same rules apply concerning over the counter meds as when your pregnant ... am I stuck with tylenol or can I take something that actually works like excedrine migraine? Its too late to call my dr I wish I would've thought to ask back in the hospital

Comments

• I wouldnt take that medication while breasfeeding its just basically combination of asprin and caffeen. So one it will keep ur little one up and from what ive just read online it shouldn't be taken while breastfeeding unless directed by ur doc for some reason. Try the Tylenol first hopefully that gives u some relief.
  • edited July 2013
    I Took ibuprofen My doc told Me I Could It Was The Only ThingThat worked After My csection
  • Chase tylenol with something caffeinated right after nursing little one. It will help kick it in faster
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • It is fine. When you are released from the hospital after birth, you are commonly prescribed ibuprofen etc. Excedrin is usually caffeine and aspirin, which both are relatively safe during pregnancy. some women have to be on aspirin during their first trimester to prevent miscarriage. So yes, it is safe.
  • Tylenol is not helpful for headaches. It is a pain reliever and anti pyretic. It doesn't act to reduce headache or migraines as Motrin or aspirin.
  • I took it when I was breastfeeding. Its the only thing that helps my migraines. If drs prescribe muscle relaxers and vicodin when breastfeeding I think Excedrin is just fine.
  • edited July 2013
    Ok thank u all I did end up taking an excedrin last night before bed my head hurt so bad. Tylenol has never worked for me Ive always suffered from migraines especially in the summertime
  • You can take ibuprofen while breast feeding. It's safe and I believe it doesn't go into your milk. @captivated is that true? I feel like I heard that before that it won't cross over?
  • Everything you take transfers into your milk, but it is in such minute amounts that it has absolutely no effect upon the baby :) Depends on the medication, but yes, Motrin is fine.