advice and recommends

Going to try to breastfeed again with baby#2!
I had no help or really anything with my son! I bought a pump and I'm wondering what your must have items are and any advice :)

Any input is amazing! Thanks lady's! :-D

Comments

• I'd like to know as well! I pumped for 6 weeks with Madison, she wouldn't latch and no one offered and I didn't seek help. I'd love to be able to breastfeed this time around!! My boobs look completely different than they did when I was pregnant before so here's to hoping :)
  • You need pads, you leak like crazy in the beginning!
  • Yes pads and a poppy is great. Makes it more comfortable for both of you
  • @Kimberly4411 yes same happended to me my son wouldnt latch so I pumped for like 6 weeks then stopped!

@ExcitedForOctober yes what pads did u like I had horrible ones my first time around they didnt hold anything!

@sands3 I always thought they where for the babys on the floor when I worked at a daycare the teacher in the room told me it was just for the babys lol! She was a grouch tho! I will look into that!

Thanks lady's! :)
  • Nursing pads, boppy, nipple cream, and not allowing the hospital to offer a bottle after birth. Make sure you get direct skin to skin and nursing right away before any testing etc..
  • I was unsuccessful with my first he was taken away to nicu right away I couldn't hold him for first two days he had bottles and never learned to latch. This time around I had a healthy full term baby they put her on my chest right away and first thing I did was put her on my breast and she latched like a champ. Even if nothing is coming out right away put that booby in the baby's mouth. Tell the hospital NO bottles and I even said no binky either my firstborn was given a binky without me consenting and he loved it but I didn't want binkys luckily he weaned himself off after 3 months. My second wasn't given one but a couple nights at home she wouldn't stop crying so I offered the hospital binky they sent home but she straight up refused it I was glad but she is 2 weeks now and till breastfeeding amazing so it is possible just dont give up :)
  • edited July 2013
    @adriens_mommy my son was brought to nicu cuz he wasnt breathing normally they also gave him a bottle but he was only away from me for 2 hours and when I fell asleep the took him from me and gave him a binky and he loved it also haha! Darn hospitals! :)
  • I had a nicu baby as well. He spent 53 days there and I made sure he was tube and syringe fed. That way bottles won't interfere.
  • Lanisoh pads are great!
  • I liked the target up and up ones...and their milk storage bags!
  • Reusable breasts pads cause you'll go threw lots of disposables. Cream! I used nuk. Cheap and looks like a big chapstick. A comfy nursing bra. A boppy.
    Make it your only option, take it day by day!
    Do you a Facebook? There's lots of support groups. If you're not getting it at home. And lots of great advice if you are having problems..like latching, inverted nipple...etc
  • Good luck! I hope for the best :)
  • I agree with @nameless I used the reusable pads, they saved us tons of money. I got the nuk ones, they had 3 pairs in a box. I didn't really use the nipple cream, it never helped me..at least I didn't feel it did. Storage bags are also nice I used the lanisoh brand. Also make sure you mark date and how many ounces in each bag. I would've rotated better knowing what was oldest.

No one told me how much it would hurt in the beginning...it was horrible to the point I would bite my lip and curl my toes. Those first few weeks to a month were hard, but I didn't give up and we made it 16m ebf no formula.
  • @nameless reuseable pads are a great tip! I've gone through a whole box in less than 2 weeks I did not even know there were reusable ones I didn't see any at Walmart when I went to pick some out though where do u find them? About how much do they cost and do u machine wash them or I can I wash them in the sink? ( I dont have a washer/dryer in my apartment we do laundry like twice a month at the Laundromat)
  • Nipple cream and gel pads to help with relieve some pain it is kinda painful until your nipples get used to it. Put baby to breast right after born! Remember to relax and sometimes it is not easy. Be patient there is going to be days where it seems like you cant do anything cause baby is nursing all day (growth spurts and cluster feeds) look up as much information as you can before baby is here. The more knowledge you have the more likely you are to succeed. Good luck breastfeeding is a wonderful thing.
  • You want a "my breast friend" nursing pillow. It's an amazing help. I still use mine occasionally and my baby is 7 months old. Otherwise, the advice I can offer is don't let people talk you out of what you want to do. Breastfeeding is hard work, especiallyin the beginning, but it's such an amazing bonding experience. Good luck. ;)
  • I believe they sell them at babies r us. Most sites that sell cloth diapers sell them. Or wahms. Check out etsy. Fb. Hyena cart.
    I made my own w/flannel.
    If you don't have a washer..I'd just hand wash
    @adriens_mommy
  • @adriens_mommy I believe they sell them at target where all the breast pumps and things are.