labor induction and autism

edited August 2013 in Health
http://health.yahoo.net/news/s/ap/inducing-labor-may-be-tied-to-autism-study-says

After reading this, I'm curious to know if any mothers of autistic children on Pregly were induced.

Comments

• I was just talking to a coworker today about this...he has 2 autistic boys and both pregnancies were induced.x
  • Wow that's scary. It sounded like the article was talking about augmentation as well as induction. It's almost standard protocol in hospitals to have augmentation unless you specifically let them know ahead of time that you decline it. The nurse will just walk in your room & put it on your iv line without hardly saying a word! Ugh! I hate hospitals, but I don't have much choice, at least mine is somewhat natural minded compared to most. Thanks for sharing this article!
  • I haven't heard about that one yet. I have been doing serious reading on the subject. Our pedi thinks my son could be autistic but our speech therapist tells me most kids with a speech delay show sign of autism. He was a vaginal bypass surgery.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • My son has Aspergers, they induced because I was in hard labor (contractions were really strong & less than 5 min apart for over 12 hours) and I hadn't dilated at all. They were concerned that I wouldn't have any energy left to push because of how long I was in horrible pain. They induced with my daughter as well because I am diabetic (type 2) & the Dr said they wouldn't let me go past my due date. Which is total bs because my blood sugar was perfectly controlled my entire pregnancy & my baby was estimated to only be 7 lbs (she was actually only 6.8)
  • edited August 2013
    @star4221 Wow that's sad :(

@candy101 My old coworker was told the same thing when her daughter was 2 1/2. I can't remember if she was induced or not.

@wilsomom I know, if I have a second baby I am 99% sure I am having a homebirth. And if I can't for some reason, I am 100% sure I'm not gonna let them even THINK they're gonna push me around. Tessa came early so I wasn't induced but they forced me to let them take her away for "testing" for four hours and she suddenly started having breathing problems and had to spend 6 days in the nicu. After she came out perfectly fine and scored a 9 on the apgar scale. I know in my gut she needed to be with me and the separation is what caused her issues. I think about it everyday and it kills me. Luckily she's totally fine now but I really struggled nursing her because of it and I'll never get those 6 days back.

@homebirthadvocate I couldn't agree more.

@2ndtimearound does your daughter have a learning issues?
  • She's only 2, she's a little behind in speech but not enough to qualify for services. However my son was never behind, he was actually quite advanced. His IQ is high & he's doing okay academically, it's only his socal skills that are a problem.