Adoption

edited August 2013 in Parenting
I would like to have a second child but due to my husbands prolonged qt syndrome and the genetic link, he is refusing to take that chance again. I am hoping for a nice surprise but not hopeful since I needed clomid to conceive my son with pcos.
My husband suggested adoption but the thought of all the hoops and cost and long wait and no guarentee is absolutly daunting to me.
Have any of you ladies been through the process? I know if we went through with it I would want a newborn....eventually I would like to adopt a severly disabled child but not until my son is old enough to understand and not be jealous of all the attention.
I have also given consideration to foster care but my husband is also not on board with that at this time.

Comments

• Well I was adopted but I was older when my parents adopted me. Anyways yes its expensive so you have to consider with thats something u guys can do and its a lot of emotional things that come with it for both parents and child even if u get baby u will have to deal with it at some point. So if your thinking about it I would suggest to get together with an agency and other parents who have been through it hear their stories out and ask lots of questions..then you would need to take lots time to see if it's right for your family. But not sure about your religion but going through Christian adoption agency is always good..they are smaller a lot more detailed yes you have a lot more paperwork but it's worth it for your safety and long run things are just done carefully. There are other agencies that are great don't get me wrong but we have had friends go through bigger agencies and not as smooth of a process. Whatever happens I wish you guys the best!
  • In CA you can adopt through Children & Family services & it's free. You can be very specific that you want a newborn (but because that's what most people want it could be a very long time). Also there's usually some risk that the child could be returned to the parents if parental rights haven't been terminated already.I don't think I could do it, but because I'm a social worker I'm grateful for the families that are willing to take the risk to give a child a happy life.