I have a few problems - need advice! (LONG)

edited August 2013 in Breastfeeding
I have a few issues with previous breastfeeding attempts & if you have any advice for this next baby I'm all ears! :)

1. I had a breast reduction in my early 20's. I make plenty of milk, but many ducts were severed so it has a hard time getting out.

2. All my kids have been tongue tied. I usually get it clipped at the hospital so hopefully that shouldn't matter, but I'm not sure.

3. All my kids have a recessed chin...pretty bad. It's from my husband lol. I can tell from my last ultrasound that this baby for sure has one!

4. I always end up having bloody nipples, blisters & scabs, etc, & it hurts so bad I scream & can't stand it. (maybe from the recessed chin? Idk)

5. My left breast seems to have a much better time emptying as far as the damaged ducts go. The right one gets extremely engorged to where the baby can't latch.

So should I even try? I feel damaged. I didn't even try with my last baby, because I didn't feel like I could handle the stress. I attempted & failed with my first 8 children & it's quite depressing each time.

Thanks for reading & sharing any ideas or opinions!

Comments

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • I say don't stress yourself out. You are a busy mom with a lot on your plate and if breast feeding doesn't work for you then don't put yourself through it. I know I know breast feeding is best blah blah blah but there is nothing wrong with formula and I highly doubt anyone would think you are anything less than super mom/ Wonder Woman if you do formula. If they don't like it they can suck it. You have my respect.
  • I agree with @Frantastic. You should definitely decide whether this is something you can put yourself through and handle. Breastfeeding as it is takes lots of hard work and dedication so that only means that you'll just have to work harder at it. I mean, its not impossible that's for sure and if its something you REALLY want to do then you should totally go for it.
  • I sm kickinh myself in the ass for fighting through crack scab y nipples with blisters. I wish just formula fed this girl all she wants to do is bf all day all night. No binkies or bottles.. I know this though it is a lot easier on baby tummies and when we have a bad night I stick a nip in her mouth and sleep.
  • I agree I mean we all know its best but sometimes in cases like ur things don't exactly work out as planned. I wish I had full supply and could have gone longer but it was getting to me soo much that I almost wasn't enjoying motherhood and sometimes it's best to have happy mommy therefore more time, love, and as I know I wish I had patients. Which is hard when your tired and in pain especially with all the issues your body gives you. Obviously I hope it works out great for you and myself this time around and all the other mommies trying but I agree no one thinks any less they have some great formula out there and your baby will love you just as much! That's must important :)
  • I breastfed my first for 14 months with no real issues but thrush in the beginning...so I thought I was an expert having this baby and didn't worry about b feeding him at all, until about 2 weeks in when the horrible pain really started ...because he has a recessed chin causing a severely shallow latch which is what will kill your nips (having him suck on just the tip..horrible) it got to the point where I was absolutly devastated at the thought of not being able to nurse him because it hurt so bad (felt like a baby shark chomping on my nips) so I went to a lactation consultant at wic and it changed my world! Just the slightest change in positioning helped immensely and now he latches perfect! (I have to make sure hes in a "sniffing position" everytime and make him wait until he opens his mouth nice and wide) He also prefers one side and the LC told me that you can actually successfully breastfeed one baby with just one breast...u can make plenty of milk with one and not use the other one at all and I know a few women who have done it...maybe its worth a try? Hope this helps hun ;)
  • @HomeBirthAdvocate If this baby causes me the cracked bleeding nipples, do you think I could exclusively pump & add that to some formula? I tried it once before & could only get 1/4 to 1/2 ounce from the right but 2 to 3 ounces from the left. Maybe I should just let the right side dry up from the beginning since it always gets engorged?

@everyone thanks for all the tips & advice, I'm going to attempt it but know going in if I don't make it I don't have to beat myself up & at least I tried. :)
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.