Chicken Pox Vaccine

edited August 2013 in Health
I am on the fence about giving Tessa this vaccine. I've heard of kids getting really sick from it. However, her dr said now that kids are getting the vaccine, she most likely won't conract it from anyone else, and it could be dangerous if she got it as an adult. Non vax and vax parents please share your thoughts and experiences.

(Please no fighting lol)

Comments

• My son got it, and he broke out in a really bad rash the day after.
  • My daughter got it and was good. My husband has never had chicken pox and has not been vaccinated and is beyond scared of contracting it.
  • I'm curious what others think too. My first thought is, if they're not going to contact it as a kid, then why would they contact it as an adult?
  • @monkey_girl Has he thought about getting the vaccine himself? Maybe that would put his mind at ease.
  • @wilsomom I guess the vaccine isn't that effective and you don't build the same immunity as you do when you contract and recover from chicken pox naturally. I found a really great article:

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2010/11/02/chicken-pox-vaccine-creates-shingles-epidemic.aspx
  • @wilsomom Yes, but he's the biggest procrastinator. We have to get that whooping cough vaccine, so I'll probably have him do it then.
  • My son got it and was fine
  • That was a really good article...and scary! I'm in a little shock right now.
  • Either way, its a live virus vax so the virus is stored in the body and shingles can happen later...those that have never had cp or the vax don't get shingles. Shingles is happening in toddlers now because of the vax...even the CDC says this.
    Ps the vax sheds since its live.
  • edited August 2013
    @wilsomom yea after reading that I am 99.9999% sure she will not be getting it.

@bahamamama4828 That makes sense. And that's scary!! What do you know about the hep A vaccine? That's the only other one she hasn't had but I'm not finding much about it online (other than the obvious, that it's for hep A lol). I didn't think much about the vaccines until my boyfriends aunt told us they are putting human cancer cells in them! That freaked me out. And since Tessa is so healthy and smart despite the vaccines she's had, I almost feel like I'm tempting fate by giving her more. Idk my gut just tells me not to.
  • @Bahamamama4828 So as long as a child isn't vaxed or had cp they shouldn't get shingles later in life?
  • As long as they haven't been exposed to cp at all. They don't have to contract it..silly vax. I've had measles mumps and cp and I'm alive. My titers show immunity to rubella too but I've never contracted it.
    I have 2 kids I haven't vaxed and one that is vax injured. Hep a sheds too. Its mostly contracted thru oral fecal route.
  • And some vaxxes are grown on fetal tissue like mmr and cp..though I think they are combining those 2 to mmrv
  • Ill get you links from cdc in a few
  • edited August 2013
    That's another reason I find it unethical, the human fetal tissue. But even aside from that many of the ingredients are purely toxic. Thanks for posting this, it helps me remember that I'm doing the right thing. (non vax)
  • The right thing in my opinion, not judging anyone who does vax, we all do our personal best to make the decision we feel is right for our own kids.
  • My daughter got it and never had problem.
  • I don't judge either. They aren't even tested for long term use nor are they tested in combinations
  • @wilsomom are all of you children non vax?

@bahamamama4828 thank you! And that is so gross about hep A. What do you mean when you say they shed?
  • Live viruses shed thru body fluids. So say you change a diaper of a baby just vaxxed for rotavirus and you don't wash your hands- there's a chance you can catch rotavirus.
  • *if you stick your hands in your mouth lol
    Just wash your hands :)
  • I am a mom who have all my kids vaccinated. But i will not participate with this one. Its actually something i hope they get for the fact that its better to get it as a child than as an adult. If they dont get it then, i guess we will cross that bridge later. Lol.
  • @bahamamama4828 ohh ok lol

@angel26 I agree! I just hope her school doesn't give us a hard time. We live in NY and it's brutal here. I've heard that her elementary in particular is pretty strict.
  • My oldest 3 are completely vaxed, but none of the others. They had lots of ear infections, tons of allergies and tonsil problems. Idk if it's related or not, but it sure seems like it since none of the younger ones have had more than colds and a few typical childhood viruses.
  • I hope not lol. I think that are safer getting the dam chicken pox as children then getting them as adults. Ya, it sucks, but ive heard it like 10x worse later in life. We cant protect our children from every single thing in life and some times you have to let things happen in order to help them. Lol. This world has gotten so dang weird. I wish i was in a different time (if that makes sense) @starrxoxo9
  • edited August 2013
    @wilsomom Yeah if I was you I would be very suspicious of the vaccines. That seems like more than a coincedence.

@angel26 I totally know what you mean and I agree!! Our world (more so just our country) is so twisted and backwards nowadays that I wish I could keep Tessa in a safe little bubble forever lol. People are just so greedy and evil and will risk anyone's health or well being to make money. It's sick. I was reading that because they can't test vaccines and medications on children, they don't even know if they're safe for kids but here they are just giving them out like candy!!
  • ^^^that's how they test. You or doc is supposed to report to VAERS.
  • my husband had chicken pox when he was 16. He said the fever was high and for a long time, but the itching wasn't as big a deal as he thought it would be. he also said his spots lasted a little over two weeks, but having it when he was older wasn't as severe as people made it out to be.