Last name????

edited August 2013 in Pregnancy and fathers
Is it true that if the father is not present during the birth u cannot give the baby their fathers last name?? My bf/bd is currently in jail and I was told from an acquaintance in a similar situation that u cannot give the baby their last name without them being present and signing the paternity papers. Is that true? I live in CA btw

Comments

• Im from canada. But my best friend had a kid with a guy in guyanna. (A small island near st.marrtin) when she gave birth back in canada she sent the papers out for him to sign. 2 years later she changed her daughters last night back to her own. Maybe he can sign then if you mail it?
  • I don't see why not Im pretty sure you can give them whatever last name or name you want.
  • @lalalorree never thought about sending the papers to him thanks!
    @jules that's what I thought too but I wasn't sure
  • @adri805 your welcome! It might take a little longer but if you want it then its worth the wait.
  • My daughters father was in jail when I had her and we wasn't married and I gave her his last name and never had a problem. His name wasn't on her birth certificate until we did DNA testing for child support. I'm pretty sure u can put whatever last name you choose too.
  • I don't know how stuff works in Cali but here in Texas (Houston) you don't need the father to give the baby his last name. When i named my son, my husband had gone out to get something to eat and i took care of the name thing. I wasn't even asked who's last name was i giving my son. All they wanted to know was the name and last name.
    Maybe you can give your baby his last name and then just add him to the birth certificate whenever he's out.
  • @adding1more is the DNA testing mandatory for him to b on the birth certificate? Jw
  • No. In my case he wanted to be an a** and not pay the child support. In your case he would have to sign the paper in front of a notary public saying he's the father. If he is still in jail when you have the baby talk to them but Im pretty sure they will give you a paper to mail to the father to sign and they do have notary plubic in jails/prison.
  • You should call the hospital and ask. When my daughter was born my husband had to sign paperwork that says he's the father. I live in cali
  • I am from Ca. My husband was in jail when my daughter was born. She was 3 days old when he got out. But I just filled out the information Goree her birth certificate. He never signed anything. But I would call the hospital to make sure. Seems like it varies by hospital.
  • I'm in CA and my husband had to sign paperwork stating that he was the father when our first son was born. But we were not married at the time, we got married 8 months after he was born. My hubby also told me that they pulled him aside and asked him if he wanted a paternity test done because we weren't married. We both have kaiser ins so I don't know if that's a CA thing or a kaiser thing but that's what happened to us. This time we are married so I don't know if things will be different.
  • @frantastic Wow I would have been so offended by that!
  • If your married your husbands name automatically goes on the birth certificate he doesn't have to sign it. I was married but separated and had a baby with my current bf and my boyfriend signed the birth certificate and they still would not put my boyfriends name on the birth certificate until my husband took a DNA test and he was I jail for 3 years before I got pregnant so there was no way he was her father.
  • I'm in california and my son has my boyfriends last name, I don't remember him signing anything. I filled out all the paperwork, I'm sure it depends on the hospital though.
  • My hubby said he didn't have to sign anything and wasn't asked if he wanted a dna test and we weren't married yet when our daughter was born and were in CA. I think it will depend on the hospital.
  • Thanks ladies I'm gna have to look into it. I'm in Santa Barbara. @jules @jessibear @adding1more @starrxoxo9 @frantastic @stillsurprised @monkey_girl
  • My first I wasnt married and her father had yo be present through the whole birth certificate process to sign multiple papers saying he was the father (just for him to be on there I could put whatever last name I want) with my second we were married and he didnt have to be present at all
  • You can give your baby any last name you want. Your baby's last name can be hamburglur if u choose lol. However, the baby's father cannot be on the birth certificate if he does not sign the paternity papers because your not married. If he isn't going to be present and u do want his name on the certificate he has to sign those papers. This is the tricky part-when my children's father was there to sign them there had to be a hospital official there to witness the signing and sign it herself right after. Ask the hospital if they have an official at the jail to witness him sign otherwise its invalid.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • @adriens_mommy @homebirthadvocate am I able to have someone go and witness Him signing the papers? An official?? Will I be charged?
  • @homebirthadvocate Would u know who I could contact in regards to being a witness as well as a notary?
  • Contact the jail he is in and ask them if they have a notary there who would be able to sign the papers with him and if so do they charge