I need help. My son does not eat

edited August 2013 in Ages & Stages
My almost two year old son seriously only eats crackers. even the food he used to love to eat like mac n cheese and mandarin oranges is hit and miss now. I was trying to have him feed himself and he did ok with it for a while, but now he either throws it to the dog, which i now keep the dog somewhere else while he eats and even then he tosses it over the sides. so now I'm back to me feeding him everything which I hate to take a step bavkwards, but I worry about him eating enough, about him gaining weight and learning to eat when he should. to touch on the weight gain, I'm all for him following his own curve, but he was only 16 lbs at 9 months,18 lbs when he was 12 months, 20 lbs at 18 months and he'll be 2 at the end of September and still weighs just 20 lbs. I'm so worried because I know he's not getting any of the nutrients that he needs. except for calcium. I will say he loves his milk, but he already only poops every 3 days and I'm afraid any more milk will really stop him up. he talks a lot but a lot of it is still not understandable to me, so I'm afraid to go the "if you don't eat now, you don't eat" route because I'm not sure he'll really understand what that means. I tried it once and felt soooo horrible the rest of the night.
I also have a 7 month old so I'm feeling really overwhelmed with feeding two kids constantly.
any advice or tips? I'm ready to break down. :(

Comments

• My daughter is the same way. She'll be two years old and weighs 20lbs also. She loves mac n cheese and mandarin oranges but its litterally all that she'll eat. She loves french fries too. I bought her pediasure (the walmart brand) and shes been drinking it for about a week and loves it. It provides with the proper vitamins and helps toddler gain weight. Not only has she been gaining a little weight but she has more of an appetite I will definitely buy more ! I get very overwhelmed trying to get her to eat too. I thought about giving her some baby foods to help get nutrition n gain weight.
  • I think it's just a stage all kids go through. My son will be 2 in oct and and I swear just not that long ago he was doing the same thing. All he wanted to eat we're graham crackers. It's incredibly frustrating. My mom and his pediatrician both assured me that kids won't starve themselves and eventually they will eat, you just can't give in and feed him what he wants or then he wins. I had no problem sending my son to bed hungry but my husband is the worrier. As for your son being small for his age just check with his dr. Are you and his dad small people? I have the opposite issue, my son is 22mo and 35 lbs, almost 3ft tall and wearing a 3t.
  • My 20month old was just like that he was just eating crackers water and juice ... he was 12 months and 17pounds then 18 months 19 pounds and suddenly he got really really sick after that 1 month and half ago I started watching more and more and giving him more and more new foods and hes currently 25 pounds that its a freaking miracle! !! If you are really worried take him to the pediatrician and check his blood make sure he's not lacking nutrition ..... my pediatrician was never worried but I was.... also helps to sit down whit him and eat in front of him (together ) and he will start munching on my food and his sisters food also he loves sitting with daddy and he will eat anything for daddy
  • Sounds like an age thing. My daughter will be 2 in October. She went through a picky stages as well. Just now getting to where she will eat more again.
  • Thanks ladies. I really appreciate the reassurance!!! I'm such a worrier!
    @MommyLovesSparkle I never thought about pediasure. I'll have to try that!
    @Frantastic My side of the family is big, but my husband's side is small.
    @2girls_2boys he did have blood work done to check his nutrients and also to check for celiac disease, but everything was fine.
    I just worry! Imake myself crazy with it!
  • Yea I think its an age thing. My daughter is 22 months old n just went through the same thing. All she would eat is hotdogs. And she is also on the small side only 22lbs. I tried the pediasure but she refuses to drink it.
  • Be careful with the pediasure, when my son had hand foot and mouth disease I bought him some because he had sores in his throat and wouldn't eat. Well he REALLY liked them and after he was better he still only wanted the pediasure. We struggled for a week with him refusing to eat until he realized that he wouldn't be getting any more.
  • @frantastic oh my gosh that must of been horrible! For my daughter it makes her want to eat. I have no idea why but thank God for that. Hopefully that dont end up happening to any of us.
  • Yeah pediasure do not give appetite it actually replaces a meal wich yi u got to be careful!
  • good to know! is it ok to mix it? maybe I could mix some of it wit his milk.
  • My pediatrician say it was better to give him a glass milk with the carnation breakfast powder once a day and skip pediasure
  • (Whole milk)
  • edited August 2013
    So ur saying im lying?? @2girls_2boys it gives my daughter one so I suggested it to her.
  • Hand foot and mouth sucks so bad @MommyLovesSparkle it took over a week to clear up, and since it was in his throat as well my son didn't eat. I freaked out because I didn't want him to go hungry and the pediasure is a meal replacement so I thought why not. My son doesn't get a lot of sweet stuff so it was like a treat for him. When he finally got better he was a total butt about eating real food again.
  • edited August 2013
    Calm down @MommyLovesSparkle. She never said you're lying, just said that it replaces a meal if you're not careful. Each child is different. Pediasure is a supplement to meals for picky eaters, or a meal replacement shake so in theory it shouldn't make your daughter more hungry, doesn't mean it doesn't. Could be that this is why it does make her more hungry:

When you eat regular meals throughout the day you you typically will have an appetite and feel hungry, pediasure will give you the feeling of being satisfied. When you skip a meal you kinda forget that you're hungry and then forget to eat or don't feel like eating when you know you should (at least I do, which is why I drink ensure if I'm skipping a real meal).
  • Have you tried Greek yogurt? I give it to my 2 year old when she won't eat at least I know she is gettin protein
  • Have you tried leaving it out and within his reach and then letting him down? My daughter goes through phases where she eats a little, plays, comes back for bites, plays, etc. If we forced her to stay at the table she'd say done and start throwing her food. Finally we realized if wr let her down but leave her food out then she will eat it. She also has days where she eats everything in sitr and then days where she will only eat snack food. My father in law will argue with me at times about what or how she eats - he thinks you can force an almost 2 year old to eat what you want them to ear. I figure at this age as long as she is eating then thats what matters.
  • My daughter is 2 and the same way .. I've tried everything, one thing that works is in the morning I make her a smoothie in the blender with yogurt , frozen blueberries, frozen spinach , bananas or whatever fruit I have and apple juice and blend it so she can suck it through a straw and we have our smoothies together, she will occaisionally drink pediasure but now I just leave her food out in the living room and she kinda grazes all day and munches lil bits ... its quite aggrivating but I just have to keep offering her lots of choices all day ...anything to get the calories in :)
  • I sometimes do what @hopefulmom2be and @Scarlettsmama does. My daughter some days wakes up and super excited gets in chair waits for her food then soon after wants snack some days or even later same day after nap doesn't want anything to do with it so I don't force it give her time and space she comes around and will get some bites then all the sudden wants it all. I hope you find something that works for your lo.
  • @MommyLovesSparkle nope I never say it or attacked you .... im not the kind of person to attack nobody and not in to calling people liars!

I don't even know why are you saying that
  • @MommyLovesSparkle I went thru the conversation and I know why you think im attacking you but no im not..... all I'm saying its what the pediatrician say to me and trying to help .... every kid its different it worked for you and its great to hear everyones opinions ....
  • I'm on the same boat my daughter is only 20lbs and is 2 hardly eats and I get frustrated with her
  • Glad to hear its normal, Madison only eats breakfast, she starts daycare next week and I have no idea what to send for lunches! I'm getting some of those bento boxes so the teachers can put the lid back on and send the extra food home so I can see what/if she's eating
  • My son will be two next month. I was told to just keep offering food as you should never force them to eat. Like previously said they wont starve themselves and will eat when they are hungry. They go through a stage where all they want to do is graze or are very picky with what they want. I know its very frustrating and hope it passes soon.
  • My daughter is on an apples and dried fruit kick. That's about all she wants. Every now and then I can get scrambled eggs into her with ketchup. No worries, I think it's just a phase.
  • I just do 3 meals & two snacks a day. Second choice is always a peanut butter sandwich & that's it. If they don't eat they wait until the next meal/snack. That's just what works for me though, my family is too big to let everyone graze all day...it would be a nightmare! Lol
  • @Wilsomom that is a great idea. I'm going to start doing that in my house because it irritates my to no end when my so is being picky.
  • @frantasic Thanks, I always try to offer a well balanced, healthy menu, but with the peanut butter sandwich back up at least I know they won't starve if they're being picky about something.
  • I think it age thing too. My son going through the same thing. He drinks milk and eats bread. I made several good meals this past week like; lasagna, chili beans,fajitas,Ham, Oven roasted chicken. He picked at it all.