I got suspended from work today. [LONG]

So apparently an associate from another department at my store told my department manager that I don't help him when comes to the counter. He told her that pretty much every time that I work mornings and he comes up to the counter I ignore him.

Well first off I hardly see this person in the morning due to him always leaving by the time or before I even clock in.

Second when he comes to the counter he is always talking to another associate so I assume that person is helping him.

Before I go on I have to add that the deli and the bake shop are connected, it is one big huge kitchen due to the store being on the small side. So it's hard to figure out what the customer wants help with, the deli or bake shop. Of course when we notice a customer we will ask them do you want bake shop or the deli? Then there are times when a customer will approach us and ask is there somebody in the deli or the bake shop to help us?

He has never done that. Every time he comes to the counter he is always talking to someone in the bake shop. So I assume he is getting help from the bake shop area which is why I do not approach him. If he wanted something from the deli he could at least say he wants something from the deli instead of just talking to someone in bake shop and then leaving.

I tried to explain myself to the store manager but she act like she did not want to hear it and since he was off the clock he is considered a customer and for that matter the store lose a sale and she claimed that she can't afford to lose any money so I got a write-up and a 100% suspension. So I lost 18hrs which would have put at 24hrs this week, because I worked a 6hr shift today.

This is the first time I'm hearing of this. I have never really had a customer complaint (Well once but that write-up was scratched due to the managers finding out the customer cussed me out because we ran out of Sara Lee Honey Ham. Yes. Really. IKR?) Now with this "complaint" I all of a sudden I get a write-up, 100% suspension and I lost an entire week and a day of work. If I get another write-up, because this one was a 100% suspension, I will be fired.

My department manager told me that our department has the lowest in customer service (which is a lie) and customer recognition (could be true) and that if any employee is caught ignoring or not helping a customer they will get a write-up or a suspension.

I call bullshit. September is considered "Spring Cleaning" month. As they like to fire older employees and hire new people. New employees/New hires are considered cheap labor as they will work longer hours with lesser pay. It takes 6 months to a year to get a raise depending on your work ethic.

I've been on the job for 23 mos and I only make $9.20/hr and a dollar extra on Sundays ($10.20) and time and a half on holidays. My raise is due on September 16th and I'll start making over $10.00/hr and over $ 11.00/hr on Sundays.

When a newer employee comes in they'll only make $8.50/hr and no extra pay on Sundays until they have been on the job for a year, but they will get time and a half on holidays.

My job has fired, in the last 2 months, over 20 people in different departments. I have noticed this write-up spree they have been on and people getting suspended and fired left and right. I may not be the best employee but I am one of the most reliable employees there.

As it seems, from what S/O is telling ne, the new hires, especially in my department, are lazy, they don't want to work, they don't want to do their job, they are always placing blame and pointing fingers and half of them have quit within a month. So if I do get fired. Fuck 'em and I hope they have fun with the new hires.

I will find a way back on top and with something much better.

I am hoping I don't lose my job because right now we can use the money, but I will not be treated like an old toy.

I did call my union and I hope they'll do something about it before I go on my leave.

Comments

• Thats terrible!!! My fiances work is bullshit like that too. They wont fire anyone, they just wont give you any hours and wait for you to quit. You should move here to canada were minium wage is $10.25. Plus free health care ;)
  • @lalalorree I've thought about moving to Canada. My job does that too if they can't find anything on you to give you a write-up.
  • I would call the person that's over the store. Not manger but the next person higher. Why can't that person find an another associate to go in the back to get help?? Sounds like to me, he may not like you. I wouldn't take that. I'd be making all the calls I can. With that person being an associate himself should know that he could go to another dept and ask for help. I'm pretty sure I know what company you for. Lol
  • I'm soo sorry to hear that. I've been in your shoes as matter of fact it was right after I had my daughter so it's like the new manager wanted me gone she hated that I was around for awhile and knew everything and anytime something happened she had to ask me how to do stuff..honestly my advice is next time when u go back to work and if he comes up to counter again or even better if u see him in the back just say tjat u r very sorry if he felt neglected and u will make sure to be more allert. I mean it sucks and not your fault but you don't need another write up or any reason for one this would be good first step..from there on make sure to always approach not only him but others just be safe then sorry. Also do not talk about this to any other employees I know sometimes we need to get it out and people ask questions but you never know what others will be saying to the supervisor while your not there. Especially if there are new people around who want your hours the word will get to them and travel fast. Then just go be nice do your job keep outside conversation to minimal unless another employee brings something up then always stay positive as many of your own opinions to yourself as possible. When they ask what happened just try very short answer and that's all. You can even say I can't talk about it I'm sorry. Show them the great worker and employee that you are! By setting an example they won't have any reason to say anything. Unfortunately now days people will come up with the craziest stuff to get rid of someone else to get their hrs especially those that are pregnant or just had baby it's an easy target. Wish you the best! And again I'm so so sorry this is happening.
  • edited August 2013
    @Starlilly: I work in the deli and only deli people can help with deli stuff due to our contract. Each department has their own contract. Also between the hours of 6AM to 9AM it's only two people in the deli until someone comes in. So no one else could've helped him but me since I was the only one in the deli at the time. But he didn't mention he needed help because he was talking to someone else from a different department.

I did call my union rep. He was either not there or on the field. I left him a message and I also left his supervisor a message. I did get a call back and they are going to look into and call me back again. My union knows not to play with me because I STAY on their asses about my job. I'm gonna call back tomorrow to see what needs to be done.

I don't have a problem with anybody at work, I may not like a few people, he was not one of them until now. I try not to let my job or people at work stress me out because where I work is a shitty place to work. After my son is born I may just quit and go back to school.

@jules: I always approach customers, but I wait awhile because some customers are just looking at the items or there for bake shop. I never ignored a customer.

I open the deli three times a week and I have to make salads (15 to 20 salads and desserts, some come made, others I have to make from scratch or mix) make sandwiches as well as other deli items. Sometimes I may miss a customer but I alway apologize to them and try to go beyond expectation to make them happy. Sometimes customers let themselves be known they're at the counter.

Another thing is he works there and he knows how stuff work. How am I supposed to know he needs help if he comes over talking to another associate. If he needed help he could've easily said "Can I get some help?" but he continues talking to someone else then leaves with an attitude.

Next time I'm at work I will talk to him about that.

I don't talk to my coworkers about anything personal in my life because they all got some big mouths and I learned my lesson my first few months there.
  • Wow thats pretty shitty. Hope you don't lose your job. What company do you work for?
  • Idon't think u ingore people or even rude to him just same thing happened to me another co worker said I ignored a costumer which I never did and of course the manager could care less she was happy have me not there for few days only to make herself feel better it's stupid. I don't think u should approach him in any personal.level at all! Just simply say I am sorry if it ever seemed that I was ignoring you and didn't serve you when you have might needed help..I would never want anyone to feel that way. That's all bc if it gets personal he will take it to the supervisor again and that will be it. I don't wanna see you get fired especially if you guys need the money right now I know things aren't easy when getting ready for baby and medical bills any little bit helps. I.hope that this is one time thing and your union can help! I'll be keeping you in my thoughts u don't need the stress right now.
  • @PaulJrsMommy: Albertsons. But it's not really the company it's just that store. After my leave I'm asking for a transfer. I hear good things about their other stores from other employees.
  • @jules: Are you still at that store? That manager sounds like a bitch. Is she still there? I'd probably approach him in a nice manner.

I'm gonna call them again tomorrow. The one thing I like about my union is they do their job. They better that's what I'm paying them $30 a month out of the first check of the month for.
  • Yes its great that u have union who does their job thats blessing! Im no longer at that store it was discount dance supply the famous dance supply company. I only did 3 months after I had my daughter I couldn't stand being away from her and being at that job became way to stressful. She had no idea what she was getting into had dance background that was while she was like 4 to 6 years old she did some tap that was it. Never really had job this is her conversation with me when she was first hired not just my opinion. But the only reason she even looked got job is bc according to her her husband told her to get off her fat ass do something. The company was desperate didn't want to make me manager bc I was about to have baby yes I was told that. My original manager thought that I would love being mommy so much that I wouldn't want to dedicate all that time. Looking back now she was right I love being home with my baby girl. But at the timeI would have given it a lot of my time because we needed the money. im not sure if she's still there it's been over year since I've left..after my suspension I was only back for two weeks before she made to stupid reason to fire me. She just hated that even after me being gone for my maternity leave all the employees called me the entire time for help and still asked me every little thing if they needed anything. I loved being there for them I still stay in touch with some of them. She wanted to be in charge which is fine God had better plan for me :)
  • @jules: I'm glad it all worked out for you. Right now I'm a bit depressed. I'll get over it and hopefully things will work out for me.
  • That's normal I was bummed out for awhile and made me stressed out especially since hubby was without job at the same time but thank God it all worked out still doing some catch up bc he was without job for so long but that's ok bc now I'm mostly stress free when it comes to finances. Hey maybe this will be good thing maybe you will get back to work and your union will get them all straight and they will all have to be careful. And maybe later on you will have a job you enjoy a lot more that pays better too! Update me when you hear anything.
  • @jules: I'm actually not looking forward to going back to work. I need the time off. Still I wish it didn't go down like it did. I'm just going to try to relax and wait for the baby.
  • Want me to make a comment on Albertsons facebook page about how wonderful you are?
  • Someone could always call and say how good yiu helped them :) I haven't seen an albertons in forever!
  • Ya thats great attitude just relax do what you need to do! When are you due again?
  • @KylieMommie: That would be lovely.

@PaulJrsMommy: They're dropping like flies. Usually a customer would write a review to the front desk about how they liked an employee. They could call in.

@jules: September 11th.
  • Oh wow soo close :)
  • @jules I know. I hope to make it to 39 weeks if I don't go all the way to 40 weeks.
  • I think you will! And now that you have some time off you can rest and get some last minute things slowly ready :) my water broke with Scarlett at 38 weeks 6 days I was glad I was ready and already on my leave.
  • edited August 2013
    @jules I'm 38w1d. Still haven't installed the car seat, no pack n play setlt up, stroller not put together. I have a lot of work to do.

My appointment is tomorrow they're gonna do a cervical check "YAY!" [sarcasm] to see how far long I am dilated. If I'm anywhere near 4-5cm, I don't care what S/O or my mom says, I'm setting everything up in one day or in a two day span.

I was going to try to work another week at least make it to 39 weeks, but I think I deserve this impromptu vacation.
  • Those are all very simple to put together don't worry your not behind :) I always tell myself that unless those with the opinion are going to come help or do it for me their option is irrelevant lol
    I'm glad your enjoying your break!
  • edited August 2013
    @jules: Me too.

Well the pack n play we got is a little complicated, baby shower gift, it has a lot of stuff to snap and put together. I love that it comes with a hamper that's connected to the changer attachment as well as storage. It also comes with a nightlight and mobile.

Safety 1st Satellite Premier Play Yard - Kensington

We bought a mattress to go with it, because the mattress that comes with the PnP's are too hard. No wonder some babies hate those things.

My only problem is making sure the car seat is up to date and is installed right. I'm not worried about the stroller all I have to do is attach the wheels and cupholder/car seat holder.

Baby Trend Expedition EX Jogger & Flex-Loc Car Seat - Fusion
  • When you get the jogger put together please let me know if you like it!! I've been looking into that one, I'm worried it won't fit in my trunk
  • edited August 2013
    @Kimberly4411: Okay. I hope it fits in ours too, S/O's trunk is a nice size though.

What kind of car do you have? We have a 2004 Nissan Altima.
  • edited August 2013
    I have the same stroller and just a heads up, the wheel is like a bike wheel and you might have to inflate it before you use it. It will seem like it has a good amount of air until you take it outside.

@Kimberly4411 it's very big. I can just fit it into my trunk, with almost no room for anything else. And I have to really jam it in there lol. I have a Nissan Altima. I do like it, but I've honestly never really jogged with it (for more than like a minute lol) and I wish I had a less cumbersome stroller sometimes. It was a gift though so I can't really complain lol :)
  • @starrxoxo9: That's pretty much the same thing my mom told me. The stroller was a baby shower gift too. She said that's what the lady at Babies R Us said.
  • Yeah it's a nice stoller for walking though. Like if the sidewalk or pavement is bumpy it glides right over anything. That's one of the great things about it, especially when my daughter was really small and I would walk with her during her naps.
  • @starrxoxo9: I kind figured when we went to BRU and I saw a display of it. I heard its a good walking stroller and I do plan to start walking and jogging again after I have the baby. This way I can bring baby with me.
  • That looks like complicated pack n play sure not for traveling can't imagine putting that together and apart all the time. That's only time we use ours before that she used bassinet that one side goes down to be next to the bed and has storage on the side and under it. Plus it's easy to set up so traveled well when she was little. The host jogger is pretty much what I have now didn't fit to well in our old trunk we had to take wheels off everytime but its fine. Then got me car and now have to get double jogger I'm gonna wait until baby is here though that way I can sell or trade in the other one at babiesrus. Your gonna love it I think it's been nice to run with :)