strep b ?

edited September 2013 in Health
Ok so I came out positive does anyone had it ?

Any info ? I could Google it but Dont wanna read bad things

Comments

• I did, only with my second baby. Its no big deal, just have to get antibiotics while giving birth
  • I did as well, dr said you can get it and it can go away, just so happens you had it when they tested. Just be sure to get to the hospital when you think it's time. the antibiotics needs a little time to get in your system
  • So the baby doesn't get the infection. I freaked out at first too but my doctor said even she had it, so it made me feel better
  • Just give yourself plenty of time to get to the hospital. A girl i worked with had it and waited to go. She delivered within the hour of getting there and didnt have time for meds to kick in. Her baby was 100% fine but had to go through a lot of tests.
  • I had it and my doctor said that I had to go right to the hospital once my water broke so I could get the antibiotics.
  • @everyone well that definitely changes my birth pls n since I wanted to get there at the last minute!
  • I had it with my son and was put on antibiotics. My dr will give it to me this time around because it was in my urine I guess early on too. I will see what happens
  • I went straight to the hospital but was already 7cm when I got there so I had my son super fast so I wasn't able to get the full dose of antibiotics. He was perfectly fine but they kept us an, extra day to just make sure he was ok.
  • @ExcitedForOctober what do the look for? What kid of symptoms?
  • I had it with my third I got induced I had to get meds in ivy every couple hrs it hurt my hand when it would go in. My son was fine. We had to stay aneextra day said you have to with strep b. I freaked when I found it but said its common and nothing to worry about.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • @homebirthadvocate amazing information!' >:D<
  • Fevers is what they look for.
  • Oh wow...PLEASE do not refuse antibiotics. Why would you risk your baby being.born with an infection if you can prevent it?! That sounds a tad bit crazy.
  • @ExcitedForOctober this its why im looking for info and opinions to clear my options and know what to do when the moment arrives ....
    Im big on research
  • I'm too much of a wuss to have refused antibiotics when I had it. Do what YOU feel is best for you and your baby. discuss both options with your dr and weigh the pros and cons.
    I had the whole dose of antibiotics and the baby was fine. I will say the antibiotics gave me a yeast infection so healing from giving birth AND itching from a yeast infection was no fun, but it cleared up quick and was no big deal. :-)
    Good luck!!!
  • I too would discuss both options with your doctor. My friend's baby had to stay in the NICU for observation.
  • I had it with my daughter. I got antibiotics before she was born, but she was born with a very bad lung infection. They didnt know if it was the gbs or something else. She spent 4 days in the nicu, but has never had a problem since. She will be 2 tomorrow and she is perfect.
  • I had it with both of mine and took the antibiotics. No problems with infections I think its probably not likely that your baby will get an infection bc of the antibiotic. However fever, respiratory distress is nothing to sneeze at in a newborn.
  • Just ask your doctor if you have any other options and keep @homebirthadvocate's information in mind. In my opinion, @homebirthadvocate makes sense. Why take something to "prevent" one infection if that same something is gonna make the baby prone to many more infections? Well at least it makes sense to me... But like it was said before, do what you think is best for you and your baby :)
  • @candy101 exactly, babies that small can die from fevers or respiratory illness.
  • As long as u get to the hospital 4 hours before u deliver you'll be fine.. they say your supposed to get 2 doses of antibiotics before baby is born but I got to the hospital at 6cm and since I went natural I urged my midwide to break my water to speed things up after I hit 8cm and I didn't have time for the 2nd dose and it was no biggie... just make sure u get that first dose
  • With refusal of antibiotics: I would say the risk outweighs the benefit ...I didn't want them either but did a ton of research on side efdects and what happens when a baby contracts the GBS and chose the antibiotics and we were just perfect!
  • This is an awesome site that may help u make an evidence based decision...informed is the best postion to be in :)
    http://evidencebasedbirth.com/groupbstrep/
  • edited September 2013
    I was in the hospital in labor for 18 hours. I got antibiotics as soon as I got to the hospital. I had gbs and my daughter came out with a fever. She had to stay in the nicu for 4 days and ended up getting jaundice. She'll be two next month and she hasnt had a problem since but I wouldnt refuse antibiotics.. that seems crazy.
  • I went into labor before I could be tested for GBS. I was 35 weeks. I got the full dose of antibiotics and they still kept my baby for an extra 24 hours for observation "just in case".
This discussion has been closed.