Trying to rest when baby sleeps?

edited September 2013 in Parenting
Who else is having a hard time going to sleep well baby sleeps. Every time he takes his naps (long naps) I try my best tp get some rest or sleep but as soon as I get comfortable and close my eyes. I end up waking right back up staring at him making sure he's okay. LO is 9 days old. I can't get sleep because every noise he makes jolts me out of my sleep.

SO isn't any help as he fell asleep on me. I have to find a way to get some type of rest.

How are you ladies doing it? How did you do it?

Comments

• Well just take nap in different room. My daughter always naped in her crib at that age I only had her in bassinet in our room at night and sure takes time to get used to all the little noises they make and not worry. You will get there! But for now just nap in different room. Hope you get some rest.
  • We had a noisemaker going from the get go, just a little fan that blocked out Madison's littler noises, with this next baby I'm gonna krank it up a notch because I think Madison would have gone back to sleep many times had I not picked her up.
    If you can't sleep, try taking a nice warm bath, sometimes just resting can be enough to get you through the day
  • I can't my lil one its 2 days old and he was shocking at the hospital with his mucus so when he's up im up when he sleeps im up because he shockes while he sleeps this sucks!
  • @jules: I'm thinking about getting a monitor and do that. Because being in the same room as him isn't helping.

@Kimberly4411: I can't take a bath because of my stitches. Though a warm shower does help at night. I don't pick him up unless he cries which is usually when he's hungry or needs a diaper change or wants to be held.

@2girls_2boys: I wouldn't be able to sleep either.

Someone told me I should try skin to skin napping.
  • That's good idea. I mean sometimes if you just keep the doors open and the rooms are close by you will be able to hear him no problem if he some up. You can do that until then.
  • That's probably what I'll do starting tomorrow. I'm gonna try the skin to skin first. Anything that will help. I'm exhausted.
  • I think the monitor is too early, if you can't sleep with him in.the same room you definitely won't get any sleep with him in a different room. you will be 10x more paranoid.When I first had my first son I slept him in a bassinet for the first few days or so and I got no rest for the same reason, every little.noise he would make would make me sit up and peek over the bassinet to make sure he was ok. I finally decided to start cosleeping and that made it so much easier to get rest. I made sure he was at eye level with me and in arms reach. Not sure if u are cosleeping or not but this is what helped me. At around 4 mos I switched him to his crib with no problems whatsoever.
  • At that age I did co-sleeping and it helped me get a lot of rest. Just like you, I also became a light sleeper when my son was born so co-sleeping really helped. I had him close enough to feel him and hear him if something was wrong, and I didn't have to get up and check on him. I just opened an eye, saw he was fine and back to sleep I went. I think co-sleeping also helped my son sleep through the night because had me close so he fell asleep when I did... It wouldn't be bad to try co-sleeping during the day at least. If you find it helpful then you can do it at night time too.
  • Oh I had the same problem, my husband helped me some nights while I got some sleep.. and at that time, he was working during the weekends at night. The times I didn't have much help I got only about a few hours asleep.. there was times when I had fallen asleep when she was awake.. and when I woke up she was asleep.. so sometimes I got lucky I guess..
  • edited September 2013
    I agree with @excitedforoctober and @perly. I wish I would have coslept with my daughter from day one. I would have avoided many sleepless nights and frustration. The first night we accidentally fell asleep together (when she was about 4wks) we both slept 5 hours straight and I never looked back lol. She went into her crib around 5 months with no problem.
  • @ExcitedForOctober and @perly: I am co-sleeping his PnP is right next to my bed. Later on yesterday I got a lot of help from SO. He took care of LO while I slept. I was so appreciative of that and now he knows what I've been going through the past few days when he wasn't here.

LO is sleep in his PnP right now I'm not really tired at the moment. It's hard to sleep when you're not sleepy or tired. Plus it's some stuff the needs to be done before I take a rest.
  • @MyLove2: I would like a moment like that. Sounds so wonderful.
  • Oh OK. I meant actually sleeping with him. That's what I had to do to get some rest and to teach my son day from night. Now at four months, I lay him in his PnP (which is also next to my bed) and he puts himself to sleep. He falls asleep at 10 (10:30 the latest) and doesn't wake up till 7am for his first feeding and goes right back to sleep and wakes up again at 9 or 10am. He's been doing this since he was 2 weeks old.
  • What you're feeling is totally normal! Happens to me with each new baby. I even will wake up 2 or 3 minutes before the baby does....like mother's intuition or something. Lol
  • @perly: Tell me your secret.

@Wilsomom: Exactly.
  • @perky I want to know it too lol...my 3mo old goes to bed between 8:30 and 9 and wakes up around 4:30 for a feeding then goes back to sleep until 7:30, everyone says waking only once a night is so good but I could do without! Lol
  • edited September 2013
    Yeah I also meant actually sleeping with the baby in your bed. That's @perly's "secret"lol. My daughter slept like @excitedforoctober's son.
  • I meant cosleeping in the same bed too, my son's bassinet was literally right next to my bed but I couldn't get any sleep that way. Needless to say that bassinet stayed stored away in the basement for my second baby lol
  • @veeve @excitedforoctober lol. At first Adrian went to sleep at 10:30 and woke up at 5... I guess since he's getting older, he's able to sleep longer and now skips that 5am feeding.
    But to be truly honest, I really think I've just gotten lucky. That, and I tried following a schedule like @wilsomom advised me when I was pregnant and thank God it worked. And like I said, up to when Adrian was 2 months old, we did co-sleeping (but if I needed to stay up, I could lay him in bed strapped in his boppy and he would fall asleep on his own).
  • @perly: Aw okay.

@Wilsomom: Can you help a sister out? Lol.