Nasal Spray/Drops: Help me please!

edited September 2013 in Babies Health
My LO has been congested since birth, he is 12 days old now. The doctors doesn't seem bothered by it and told me to just use nasal drops/spray. She just never told me what brand or how many times to use it. I think his congestion is part of why he doesn't sleep well. The way he breaths sometimes scares me as I think he is having a hard time breathing. So mommy's can you help me out. What brand did you use and how many times a day did you use it?

Comments

• Cant help you with brands (diff country) but it should be just a saline spray
  • I always used little noses I think that's wat its called
  • @willowthewisp: It is a saline spray but not all are made for baby.

@Mrz_Jackson: That's the brand my cousin just told me she used on her son.
  • There is a side for adults at walmart and a side babies. Anything except the spray would work there nothing with meds of course, but I am pretty sure they don't have any.
  • I jus seen on TV a new one called simply saline baby
  • I just have saline for babies for whenever my daughter might need it. She's only needed it once.But works great. Hope he feels better.
  • Little Noses saline spray/drops. Its because newborns have tiny nasal passages,my 3mo old always wakes up congested too.
  • I ended up getting the Little Remedies. My mom bought the wrong one but it works just the same. I hope this helps him out. I'm also buying a humidifier to help since the weather is about to start changing.
  • Is it a cool most humidifier? I think I read somewhere that warm mists weren't good for children, I'll see if I can maybe find it.
  • Eh, of course there are different sides to that debate (thanks google lol), if it's warm just make sure you're cleaning it well!!
  • I use Simply Saline Baby and then I use the snot sucker and he's fine. I also have a Vicks cool mist humidifier that has lights (it's especially for kids) and I keep it on at all times.
  • edited September 2013
    @Kimberly4411: I don't know which one I will be getting yet. I'll ask the people at BRU which is good for the fall and winter season.

@perly: I'll check that out. The humidifier that is. So far the Little Remedies is working he doesn't sound as bad as he did this afternoon. How many do you use your spray in a day.
  • Cool mist humidifier and keeping him elevated is important. They sell wedges for crib mattress at babies r us. :)
  • I have cool mist humidifier I always have it on lightly while she's sleeping and she's never really been sick almost two now. I recommend that I've also seen that warm once aren't recommended anymore don't remember why. But hope you find what works well for you.
  • @monkey_girl: Thanks. I'll ask about it tomorrow at BRU.

@jules: I was googling them and a lot of people says get the cook mist humidifier.
  • I use Little Remedies and it works well.
  • @Wilsomom: So far it's doing good. He's not as congested as he was earlier and his breathing is much better. I'm gonna spray again before bedtime and see how it goes in the morning.
  • You can also keep him propped up a little so it will drain better. Sometimes after the Little Remedies I'll let it loosen up then suction it out with the bulb you get in the hospital.
  • Thanks @Wilsomom. I'll do that when I spray tonight.
  • I used that with Jack all the time. Suction it out after. Jack is a weirdo and enjoys getting his nose suctioned.
  • I do it twice a day at the most. But its only saline water so if you feel like he needs it more than once or twice then do it more often.

http://mobile.walmart.com/m/phoenix;jsessionid=1B300CF29A3B709EBF463B3CF5DEE299#ip/Vicks-Starry-Night-Humidifier/21011465
  • Thank you @perly.

@sands3: LOL. My LO hates it but I have to clear out that nasal passage.
  • I just got some nasal spray for my 3 month old she was getting congested ever since my son caught a cold. It works so good I iust suction it out I even used it on my nose the other day and like 2 seconds later I was clear. The bottle says u can use 2-6 drops per nostril as often as needed I got the little remedies kind
  • @adriens_mommy: That's the brand I got and its been working good so far. I'm gonna spray and suction before his next feeding at 8.
  • Oh good! I'm glad that's why I got one bc after asking people and reading online like you I found most people go with the cool mist. Glad his already doing better!
  • @jules: Me too. Yeah I love looking on websites and reading the reviews and comments. Then do my own little research. It makes me feel better knowing I bought the right product for the right reason.