Eating Only an Ounce of Breastmilk?

edited September 2013 in Breastfeeding
My LO hasn't been drinking from the bottles I have pumped. I used the Medela breast milk storage solution kit. I'm using the "Babies First Weeks" bottles for now. It holds up to 2.7oz/80mL of milk.

DS doesn't seem to drink from the bottles and if he does he only drinks about 0.5oz to 1oz out of an 4oz to 5oz bottle which is why I switched. Plus I am wasting milk that way.

He is supposed to drink about 2oz a feeding. The Pedi say an ounce is feeding is okay but I want him to consume more.

So I came up with a idea to just feed him an ounce a feeding until he works his way up to 2 or more ounces. So far its working, he is finishing his bottles at 1oz to 1.5oz. I hope by next week he can move up to 3oz or more.

Yes I am feeding him from my breast too. I want him to get used to the bottle because when my maternity leave is over, he'll be with my mom in the mornings. I work morning shifts. Also for SO to be apart of the feedings and to give me a break.

Comments

• Well sounds like your doing good job already ! My daughter was never big drinker in general she actually did only 4oz forever and she's perfectly healthy. Don't worry too much at long as his eating and seems satisfied then your fine. Plus remember how tiny his tummy is right now. Like you said he will get there!
  • edited September 2013
    Remember to listen to his cues and don't force him to feed more than he's ready to. :-)
  • ^^ agreed :) he'll let you know !
  • edited September 2013
    @jules: Its funny when he first got hone he was drinking a lot more than one ounce. It's like he went on a diet. As much as I want him to gain weight, I know he has to do it on his own time. He has gotten a little weight on him. I bet he's over a little over 6lbs.

@Mijita & @MommyLovesSparkle: I have been listening and watching for them and I'm there with my boob or the bottle in hand.
  • Ya his doing fine! No need to worry :)
  • Babies think they are hungry if there tummy hurts. When u came home he may have had gass and ate bc he thought he was hungry. My stopped drinking from bottles at that point would only take enough to last until she got boob.

Remember his tummy is smaller than a golf ball.