Doctor misdiagnosed my cousins baby and leads to an allergic

edited October 2013 in Babies Health
My cousins 7mos old son was in the ER for a fever and the doctors diagnosed him with an ear infections in both ears (he is teething) and prescribed him Amoxicillin. About two days he broke out in a really bad rash . My cousin called the ER and hospital pharmacist and told them about the rash and they told her to come in. Come to find out he didn't have an ear infection and the doctor misdiagnosed him and the rash turned out to be an allergic reaction to the Amoxicillin. The doctor who diagnosised him had left for a shift change and the new doctor instead of examining him himself he just went along with the previous doctor.

They put him on Benadryl to help with the reaction but the rash has spread all over his face and body. He is more irritable because he itches and wants to scratch but we try to stop him so it won't spread. I told her to get some calamine lotion to cool the itching so he won't scratch and we put socks on his hands as well. Also she is going to try an oatmeal bath to help out.

Poor baby. This all could have been avoided if the doctor actually did his job.

Comments

• Poor thing. Hope he gets better soon. I mean did they find out what was wrong as far as him having fever was just the teething? And now you know his allergic it will pass by pretty fast with the benadryl my cousins kid has that allergy on top of many others.
  • @jules: He has an Upper Respiratory Infection which is just another fancy saying for the "common cold". We're glad we found out he's allergic to it, but the fact that he was misdiagnosed and now this rash all over his body could have been avoided if the doctor did his own examine.
  • Very true! Maybe his ears were little off though due to the cold that does happen sometimes..Either way hope his doing little better.
  • @jules: He's doing much better. Playful like he was before but the rash looks to be getting worse but they said it would happen until the Amoxicillin is out of his system.
  • My daughter got a rash like that after having amoxicillin. She looked like a spotted leopard. It went away a few days later.
  • Well im glad he got his spirit back im sure it will look better tomorrow :)
  • My youngest son is allergic to penacillin medicines as well. At least now they know he is allergic, it may have been able to be avoided but he would have gotten the rash eventually since ammoxacillin is such a commonly prescribed drug.
  • My son too...at least she found out early so now she knows. It's def a scary looking rash though. My son also had trouble breathing when he had the reaction at 9 months old...not fun!
  • @My2Boys: Yes we are very glad we found. Like @Wilsomom said it's a very scary looking rash.