Baby's Sleeping Habits.

edited October 2013 in Sleep
What time does your LO go to bed? Mine has a very fussy and frustrating period between 12 and 4AM or sometimes 1AM and 5AM. He will feed constantly between that time and act very fussy like he's starving. He'll be 4 weeks tomorrow. Is this normal? Also, how do I break him of this habit? Hes clean, no gas and has consumed a ton of breast milk yet he fusses like crazy during this time.

Also he sleeps through the day peacefully but hardly at night.

I hardly got any sleep last night or this morning. Due to him wanting to feed or comfort suck. I gave him a bottle (BM) and even tried a pacifier. Nothing. He finally went down at 5 AM and its 8AM and he is still out. But I'm up and tired. This needs to stop it is time to put him on a schedule.

I know plenty of people who had their newborns on a schedule at 2, 3 and 4 weeks. See the problem with my house is that it's quiet during the day because people are either at work, at school or sleeping throughout the day and is very active in the evening and at night. My room is off the kitchen and the kitchen seems to be the room that everyone frequents.

I might have to go into another room and put the little one to sleep and also tell them to be a little considerate that I have a newborn I'm trying to put to sleep and on a schedule.

Another problem is getting him off my chest and back into his pack n play.

Comments

• Well you have the right idea it needs to be normal during the day and quite and dark wherever he is just enough light for you to see him. And get routine going. There's nothing wrong with telling people keep it down because of baby I don't see why anyone would be super loud in the evening anyways. And I never had my daughter fall asleep with us then having to move her for the exact reason that most have hard time with the baby not waking up. So that's just habit you slowly change at some point by letting them fall asleep on their own. His still young so it's obviously hard but whenever you're ready and its time those are the this I did and suggest doing.
  • My daughter loves to b awake at night also. From 9pm to 3pm & shes fussy, crying on and off but sleeps throughout the day. I get frustrated sometimes bc im sleepy from being up with nyla all day then im up half of the night. I need to catch up on some sleep lol
  • I think it's typical for newborns to have their days and nights mixed up at first. Just do the schedule like you said and try to keep it as dark and quiet as you can at night. I start a schedule right at the hospital as soon as they're born. I usually make bedtime around 8pm, but wake the baby for one last last feeding around 11pm before I go to bed. That's the time I start putting them straight back to bed after eating....during the day I always follow the sleep/eat/wake cycle and make sure to keep them awake for a while after feeding. It will still take several weeks of doing this before he starts sleeping through the night, however, he should start sleeping for longer periods at night within a few days so don't give up! :)
  • @jules: I don't get it either.

@NylasMommy: It's so horrible.

@Wilsomom: Now that he is feeling better from the circumcision I'm going to start the schedule.
  • Let me know how it goes. :)
  • Well hopefully they listen and I have always done it just like @wilsomom and it works for her kids and been great with mine I'm gonna do same thing this time around hopping for the best. And I wish you the best!
  • Yes I kno, im a walking zombie lol
  • Sounds like your LO needs to know the diffrence between night and day :) It will be sort of hard at first but he needs to break that habit.
    At night calm him and maybe give him a bath, massages with lotion, quietness, and dont make it too bright.
    In the morning (Whatever time you would like him to wake up.) Open the curtians and let some light in. Turn the tv up make It sort of noisy (normal tone though not ridiucolously loud lol.) Get the day "moving".
    Let his naps last for 2-3 hours. Be sure to wake him if he dont wake up on his own.

Thats what I did and my daughter started sleeping through the night at 2 months old. It took about 5-7 days to train her though but it was well worth it!
  • @Wilsomom & @jules: I'm starting Tuesday since I'm at SO's house for the weekend. His naming ceremony (African tradition, SO is Nigerian) was yesterday and it was interesting and very loud. He wasn't passed around as much but he didn't get a good feeding because everyone wanted to see him, hold him snd bless him. We didn't get to bed until midnight. Glad that is over.

@NylasMommy: Tell me about it. I was shocked I had any energy to get up and get dressesd and to go shopping yesterday for the ceremony. My mom picked out some nice outfits for Elijah, newborn sized. At the baby shower he got a lot of 0-3mos, 3-6mos and 6-9mos clothes but since he is so small he can't fit any of them. Anyway yes I can't imagining being you with two. I have one and I feel like the living dead in the mornings.

@MommyLovesSparkle: Thanks for the advice. That's what I plan on doing Tuesday. I'm also going to tell them at night to keep it quiet.
  • That's good idea!
  • Another thing that worked for me was keeping the baby up during the day as much as i could. I know babies need sleep, but when he was awake i would make "play time" a little longer so he could be tired by the end of the day.
    He'll learn soon :)
  • @perly: Sounds like a good idea.
  • Just keep thinking this too shall pass! :)
  • Oh, and relax! He'll get it soon. He's trying to adjust to you and his surroundings as much as you are trying to adjust to him, this is normal and like @wilsomom said, this too shall pass :)