SO's Mom not happy with our sons weight gain.

edited October 2013 in Babies Health
My son was born 5lbs 15.5oz. He lost weight in the hospital due the jaundice because he wasn't eating formula or breast milk. He was released at 5lbs 6.5 oz. We had an appointment the next day and he weighed 5lbs 9oz. His two-week appointment he was back at his birth weight. After his circumcision when we had to be admitted (3 weeks) and he weighed 6lb 5oz. Two days later he had a check up and he weighed 6lbs 12oz. His 1 month appointment is Wednesday and I'm hoping he is at least over 7lbs.

Now I or the doctors don't have a problem with his weight again because he is gaining instead of losing. He has at least 6 wets and 3 stools diapers a day. Probably more. He eats every 2 to 3 hours a day. Sometimes 1 hr.

The only people who have a problem is SO and his mom. She thinks my son is failing to thrive because he is small. She thinks he should be at 10lbs by now because that's what SO and his siblings were at one month. But what she fail to realize is she formula fed all her children and they were born at 8 to 9 lbs. So 10lbs & up at 1 month is easy to get to. She said I should put him on formula for him to gain more weight and for him to sleep longer at night.

(Fact: Not all formula fed babies sleep through the night or sleep for long periods.)

She also claimed that my next doctor visit could result in them saying my son was failure to thrive and the DCFS would get involved. Because "to her" he is not gaining enough weight.

(Side Note: I have nothing against formula, I was a formula fed baby and I have nothing against supplementing. I already planned to formula feed or supplement after I go back to work.)

She also said I should feed him 4oz of formula, because again that's what she was feeding her children. Again all of children was born at 8 & 9lbs.

I already said by his 1 month appointment if he isn't at least over 7 or 8lbs I would supplement if I have to. I would never starve my child in the name of EBF or breastmilk. My son's health is much more important than anything.

She also brought up how much he was crying yesterday, which he never cried that much before. He never cried like that at home. It was loud yesterday and too much people. He was overstimulated. So he cried a lot. She said it was because he was hungry and not getting enough milk. He was on my breast all day (since the ceremony started) every hour to 2 hours due a growth spurt and/or to feel comfort, because of all the noise. Also last night he slept 4 hours straight. I slept 2 of those hours.

She made me feel like a horrible parent. Who the hell is she to question how I raise and feed my son? SO is going right along with her.

I'm pissed off and hurt.

Comments

• he is your son. He seems like he is steadily gaining weight. He was little when he was born... she expects him to gain 4lbs in a month?! I would be very concerned. My daughter was formula fed and didn't sleep through the night till 14mos. You are a wonderful mommy and are doing a great job... please don't let anyone tell you different. Just keep doing what you are doing.
  • If she thinks your son isn't gaining weight she would have a heart attack if she met my daughter haha. Don't stress about what she is saying. If you and your doctor aren't worried then that's what matters.
  • @Stillsurprised & @MorgDeeBee: I'm all for suggestions and advice I'm a FTM and could use the help. But to put down my parenting down because I don't do it how you do it pisses me off.

With SO stressing me out about it too. It's a wonder my body hasn't stopped producing milk. Funny when I'm not around SO or his mom. I tend to pump more milk and my LO feeds longer.
  • YOU are the mom, so do what YOU think is right. Do not formula feed unless you're ready to get him off the breast or his pedi tells you he needs it. Gaining 4lbs in a month is almost unrealistic. My son was born at 8lbs and was barely 12lbs by 2 months old and he is formula fed.

At your son's age, they get colic so when he cries like that, colic could be the reason why.

You don't live with her, so she doesn't know what goes on at home. One thing i've learned as a first time mom is that when in doubt, contact my son's pedi because there is no kid out there that is exactly like my son so i cannot compare him and act on that. Don't let ANYONE and i mean

A N Y O N E

tell you that you are a bad parent because that IS NOT TRUE. A mother's instinct is THE BEST!

You are doing wonderful! Be proud!
  • If your Dr isn't showing concerns and you feel good about what's going on with your son I would ignore everyone else. Your son is gaining weight so I don't see a problem. A friend if mines third child was labeled failure to thrive she is three nowand just fine just a lil petite but not like omg your kid doesn't eat. My son went through a eating change at 6 months he was in 90% for weight when born then at 6 months down to below 25% the Dr wasn't extremely worried I eat three times what a baby should eat and didn't help few by 1 yr back up to the average. The Dr said he was just very active for his age and my side of the family has a high metabolism.
    Sometimes family gives to much advice and don't know when to shut it. Its your son, you have the motherly instinct that special bond with your son to know if something is wrong
  • @debs: Thank you.
  • SO just gave him formula. I am pissed off. He said the baby drank it. Of course he drank it. They'll drink anything at this age. I swear this is why I'm considering being a single mom.
  • edited October 2013
    I think your doing great job your doing what's best for your baby and your listening to your child's needs. I wouldn't worry my daughter was 7 pounds when she was born and she wasn't 10 pounds by one month appointment doesn't mean anything..who made her the expert?! She's now 22 months and 22 pounds my hubby and I are both short and I'm petite and she eats all day lol pretty healthy but a lot lol. And she's always been ahead on her physical stuff was walking perfectly at 9 months and she's talker now too and so sweet. Very smart. Point is size has nothing to do with it. And I think it's great your putting the work into thebbreastfeeding keep it up! His happy and healthy and if your doc says his doing well that's the important opinion outside of mothers instinct. She not the mother or the doc. No need to start drama obviously I would not let it get to me either though. And I would have serious conversation about the formula thing there is no reason he should have done that. I would have been so upset I would get my stuff and my baby and go home until he learns to respect how you want to parents. Because you already made it clear you don't have any issues with formula but if you want and can breasfeed he shouldn't just do whatever sounds like his just listening to his mom and even thinking for himself.
  • What the hell? He can constipate the baby! And you are breastfeeding, the baby doesn't need formula...
    Has your SO ever been to a Dr's appointment with you?
  • My girl was 7 at birth...12 lbs...by six months! Kids grow at different rates. I'd tell her (& him!!) Unless someone with a PhD in front of their name says something is wrong, you're gonna keep doing what you're doing.
  • edited October 2013
    @jules: Thank you.

@perly: Yes and none of them told me to supplement. Now he thinks he knows it all because the baby drank it and full. He was full before he gave him the bottle. Now I can't trust him alone with our son. Anything to try to prove me wrong. I swear if my son starts throwing up or gets constipated I'm beating his ass.
  • I wouldn't trust him. I would put my foot down and not trust him unless he backed me up.
  • edited October 2013
    @perly: Right now I'm gonna wait until I calmed down because we both can say some hurtful things and I don't want a fight.

One doctor questioned about his weight. When our son was admitted to the hospital from the circumcision. I told the doctor that his pediatrician wasn't worried about his weight and that he is pooping and peeing like he is supposed to be. The doctor dropped it but SO took his words to heart.

@jules: Thank you. If it wasn't so late I would've grabbed myself and baby and left. He said because he's the father he has a say so in his feedings too. He thinks our son isn't gaining enough weight so even if I'm BF'ing he wants to give him formula. I swear I will pour that nursery water and formula down the drain or garbage.
  • Ugh guys and their "mommies." I swear they ALWAYS take their side whether their mumma is right or wrong..... its impossible to gain that much weight at just one month! Babies grow at different paces and they are stupid for not knowing that. Sorry im just mad. I think it's crazy and if you or your pedi dont see a problem then keep doin what your doing :)
  • Sorry but I don't understand how some people can be so dumb.
  • Well honestly his kinda mean. My hubby always stands up for himself not push over or anything. However he still has respect for me would never do anything like that it's just kinda emature. He may acted with his emotions not really sit down and think what's best for his child. Because if he took as minute and he really was concerned be would have thought about the fact that it can make his stomach really upset if it is nowhere he gets ton of formula. Unless you use the formula all the time I would trash it and say look I'm doing my job I don't care if my son is on my boob all day if his truly hungry. The fact is that's not the case because when his hungry I feed him until he shows me that his done not when im done. Like he might be thinking about the number on the scale ok. But then what you want for your son doesn't matter and just went out the window very disrespectful. I mean at least take time to think dorresearch ask you about it come to mutual agreement like an adult. He just did with his emotions like I said earlier. I wouldn't waste another minute. This isn't the end of the world but he needs to remember there are two parents and there has to be compromise he flat out showed he could care less about your opinion.
  • edited October 2013
    @Stillsurprised, @MorgDeeBee, @perly, @debs, @jules, @natashalynn, @MommyLovesSparkle, @ExcitedForOctober: What just happened a few moments ago is the most disrepectful thing SO has ever did and I can't hold it in any longer.

Around 5:30AM DS woke up for a feeding. I was feeding him but he sounded stuffy. So I stopped feeding him to clear out his mouth and nose. When DS is stuffy or congested he has a hard time latching and drinking so he was crying. SO was up as well. As I put DS back on the breast he was still crying. SO used this as an excuse that he was getting enough milk. As I finally got DS calmed SO snatched him off my breast and grabbed the previous bottle of formula he had made. A tug of war and an argument started. I told him you don't take a baby off the breast to feed him formula and he proceeds to say "He is my son too. You can't just do what you want to do." It got really ugly from there. He ended up telling me to get the fuck out his house and stormed out the room with DS and proceeded to feed the rest of the formula.

I'm over here in tears. I have never seen him like this. I'm about call a cab grab me and DS things and go home.

I'm done. There is no coming back from this. Now DS is sleep and my breast feel weird.
  • edited October 2013
    OMG. I would not be staying at all if my hubby did that. Breast milk digests more quickly than formula. Show him the facts about weight gain for a breast fed baby. I'll grab you a link from the CDC or WHO really quick. Breast fed babies grow differently than formula fed babies.
  • I'm really sorry that your going through this I couldn't even imagine having a newborn then all of this on top of it. I would definitely take the baby to have a breather and make him think. Its not good for the baby to be around all that stress. I know the baby is still very young but they do pick up on that. Your so needs to go to the Dr with you maybe to a lactation. So that he can heat a expert
  • Please update when you can. That is seriously messed up.
  • http://www.cdc.gov/growthcharts/data/set1clinical/cj41l017.pdf

Hope the link works. My daughter was 5lbs 11oz at birth and weighed 10lbs and 5 months. Some babies are small. She has always been in the 5th percentile while my other two daughters were in the 95th percentile. My son weighed 5lbs 13oz at birth and he weighs the same as my 2 year old does. 22lbs and he's 1. Different rates for different babies. You have to believe that you're doing an awesome job. Weight is not the only factor that goes into a baby with Failure To Thrive. It must be so frustrating that they don't trust your body to nourish your baby. I would make it clear that you know you're doing what's best for your baby. Anyone who says different is just ignorant!!
  • Omg you need to get the hell out of there. All that push and pull is extremely detrimental to your babies development. Excuse my language, but fuck them. YOU'RE his mother, and YOUR instincts are NEVER wrong. If you start questioning yourself, the only one who is going to suffer is your son.
  • Forgot to mention: Breast milk stimulates brain growth!! FACT!
  • Thank you @Fate. I tried talking to him about how breastfed babies are different from formula fed babies. He doesn't listen. I'm not worried about my sons weight because he is thriving. He's very alert even the doctors commented on how bright-eyed and alert he was. He was focusing his eyes at 2.5 weeks old. He responds to familiar voices especially mines, he even follows me with his eyes. I get that they are used to big babies so am I. I was expecting him to be at least 7 or 8lbs.

@debs & starroxox09: I did leave I called a cab and now I'm at home. I let him know I left and text me begging me to stay and he apologized. I told him I need some time to clear my mind and I told him about himself.

@natashalynn
  • Good for you for standing up for yourself. I know first hand how hard that can be, especially as a first time mom (who, btw, did not feel like being a mom came naturally). Listen to the professionals around you, and most importantly, listen to your gut.
    It sounds to me like you're a mother who is trying her hardest...which is the best kind of mom there is.
  • Your not a horrible mom. You are doing great :) all babies gain weight differently. My son was 8lbs 12.7oz when he was born he was super chunky. He was formula fed too. Now that he is 2 1/2 he has slimmed down. He's 28lbs and wic said he's underweight and in 90 percentile for height. (His dad is 6'4") All babies are different. His mom needs to keep her opinions to herself. Sge doesn't need to be worrying you about his weight only dr should. So ignore her, your doing what's best for your baby :)
  • Thank God you left. What an ass. U give yourself lots time to think and possibly talk it out to someone your close with. I mean if his doing this now just imagine what he will do in other situations. What if there's an emergency and he wants things done his way sounds like he might also have control issue no relationship is well off that way and not good for child to be around..he needs to get himself and his issues together before I would let him around me and my child. I wish you the best I'm sorry you just went through that.
  • edited October 2013
    My oldest was born at 5lbs 14oz and she was formula feed from the first bottle and at 1 month she was only 7lbs something oz now my youngest was 6lbs 9.5 oz and at 1 month she was only 6 lbs 3oz and she was breast Fed tell then so each baby it's different and gains weight different.. my oldest is now almost 2 and is 32lbs and my youngest is 5 months and is 12 lbs