my 4yr old daughter

edited October 2013 in Ages & Stages
I'm noticing my 4yr old walks as if she is pigeon toed its really worrying me. We thought when she was a baby she was bow legged but she grew out of and drs said its because she had a diaper. I got her a new pair of boots and that's when I started noticing really bad I've had her walk barefoot and defiantly something with how she walks. When I got her to walk really slow I then noticed she trys to walk like she is on a balance beam. She has taken a year of tumbling where they taught her that so I'm not sure if that's how she thinks she is suppose to walk all the time. Any moms had issues with their kids walking

Comments

• I wish I could see it but from what you're describing I wouldn't worry. I've seen kids walk allsorts funny ways being dancer my entire life and teaching it most of us walk with our feet turned out all the time lol and the lo are always on their tip toes. Just ask her if she's comfortable and ask her to talk what seems normal and see if she says that hurts or anything. Then next class maybe look at the other kids and ask the other moms if they noticed that at any point. And if your very worried and for some peace ask her doc at next appointment. And tell her that she doesn't need to walk like that all the time just in case she thinks that way from class. But from my experience even on the balance beam you should have your feet little turned out so your toes can later hug the outside for better balance when they do flips and stuff. I tought gymnastics for couple years and my daughter has taken it for last 3 years so not sure why they would tell her to turn her feet in. Never heard of that but I'm no Olympic gymnast lol.
  • @Jules it was just a balance beam on the ground and the teacher just wanted the kids to learn to walk without falling off. She is in dance been doing it for two years she has a hard time putting her heals together with her toes pointed out. I made my daughter a Dr appointment to be on the safe side for Friday. She has dance tomorrow so I'm going to ask the teacher/owner she is a rn and use to work at the pediatric office where my daughter use to go. My two year old son doesn't walk any where close to what she dies.I try to talk to my hubby but doesn't want to talk about he says he is stressed already and doesn't want to think about something wrong with our daughters legs
  • Well that's long time she's been doing it and still not being able to put her heals together although she's still young. I think it's good to ask the doc. Also have her sit down on the floor her knees straight and put her heals together then see if you can turn them out slowly and if it hurts her at all. Usually at young age most kids have very good turn out because they usually are very flexible.
  • @Jules just got home from my daughters Dr appointment they saw the issue more with her right leg being a lil pigeon toed. The Dr said a lir of field and track ppl are very pigeon toed some how it makes them really fast but just in case she is being sent to a child Ortho for a second opinion to make sure its not that serious where she needs physical therapy the Dr said they don't do braces or special shoes any more they found that those don't help but make it worse
  • Well good that you're doc is looking into it sure won't hurt. And sounds like so far have some pretty good news. Hopefully the ortho has good news as well :)