Period while breast feeding?

edited October 2013 in Postpartum Health
Hey ladies!
So it's been 46 months since I've had a period and tonight I have really bad cramping so I took a nap then woke up,needed to go pee really bad so I went and when I wiped I have a pink,light spotting blood and I seen little tissue I'm guessing at the bottom of the toilet.
Is this the very start of my period or am I having a miscarriage?
I'm not weaning or changing my breast feeding times with my 16 month old or anything,but I would really like to know if this is JUST my period. I DO NOT want to be having a miscarriage. TIA Ladies

Comments

• Test if unsure then. Otherwise its a period which you should've had a while back unless you're on a certain type of birth control that inhibits periods. Talk with a doctor soon.
  • I would take a test just to rule out miscarriage. It's probably your period, I didn't get my first one till I stopped nursing but I stop at 6 months. My first couple periods were unusual, and I remember seeing some tissue. Then I skipped a period. It took a long time for my cycle to become normal again.
  • I would guarantee that it is your period. I wouldn't be concerned. I got my period while breastfeeding. It is very common especially for how long you have been BFing.
  • I'm guessing its just your period. I jinkesed myself and kept bragging that I had no periods whatsoever since I've been nursing and its been since july of 2011 since I've had one. Well one night two weeks ago I was cramping and I went to the bathroom and I wiped and it was a brownish color and I was SO mad!!! I freaked out bc I thought maybe I was pregnant but I had taken two digital tests two times two weeks before starting my period. Well, needless to say I ended uo starting full fledged and I had tissue looking stuff as well. I think its bc its the first period since before birth minus the bleeding after birth. I'm sure its just bc its your first period. If your miscarrying it probably wouldn't show up if you took a test but you could still try to take one. I've always been blessed when nursing that I never had a period while nursing!!!! I love nursing and that's one of the perks is no period as well lol. On top of all the other benefits to go along with the baby too.
  • I think it's your period as well. I started mine while breastfeeding I mean can't stay away forever the body needs to get rid of the bad toxins. Hope you feel little better.
  • I'm on not any type of birth control.
    My daughter just turned 16 months and she is not stopping any time soon. I've tried to wean her,but she's not taking that! Lol
    Well,the cramping is gone and there's no blood any more either. So,idk wth is going on. I'm gonna hope it's just my period because I can not handle another baby right now. My Husband and I have been careful with condoms every single time and with me breast feeding I don't think I can get pregnant that easily.
    Thank you ladies for some piece of mind. I'm hoping and it probably is just my AF coming back after so many months of being absent. I'll update if I see anything else strange.
  • Now I'm just having clear CM. Lots of it.
    This is very weird... :-?
  • Yeah my son is 18 & 1/2 months old. I thought to myself also I'm nursing I can't get pregnant lol. Also I know the feeling of the kiddo not wanting to give up any time soon. My son is such a boobie baby!!! I'm honestly ready to be done but he's not. He only has three teeth so its hard for him to chew plus he hates baby food. He always walks up and says boobies lol. Its to the point where he tells me to go sit so he can have boobie lol. Its so cute and so hard to resist. We haven't had any time apart from my kids my husband and I that is since june 2011 when my son was conceived lol I keep telling my hubby we need to go away for a weekemd the so I can break him of wanting boobs. But then again with him being my last one I don't want to give up so easy! Good luck!!! Keep us posted!! I know I'd freak if I were to have another one right now.
  • I just want to say that BFing does not stop you from getting pregnant. As I have seen various post on here and other forums where the ladies say they were breastfeeding and ended up pregnant.

It's probably just your period though. If you're not sure you can always call your OB.
  • It still was just that one day.
    I had a lot of cramping for weeks before I had the light bleeding and Horrible cramping but just thought it was Finally my period time so when I seen blood I thought for sure,this is it. But just that one night of light bleeding and cramping and nothing else since. I'm still waiting for my period to arrive,patiently,but there is still no actual blood or period. No more cramping,thank goodness,but I'm still confused as to why I got some blood but no period to follow...

I haven't had a break from my kids with my Husband since I was 19. I'm now 23 Lol even when I got married,we didn't have a HoneyMoon because my 1st Daughter was just 6 weeks old. I'm still waiting for our time together or even just a date night but that probably won't happen because my girls don't go to anyone except for us Lol
    My 16 month old has all of her teeth in and when she's super hyper,she'll bite on my nipple and pull,laugh and watch me in agony. She is funny and when she wants it no matter where we are she always says "Milk,milk" and puts her hands down my shirt. It's so funny and cute but I can't wean because I can not listen to her cry for hours. I can't do it. Her Doctor told me if I don't wean now then it could be 2 more years with her breast feeding but I don't have anything else to do,so whatever Lol
    He also said that if I really wanted to wean her I have to leave her for 3 days with someone else to "fend for herself" so when she sees me again,she won't want breast milk because she already knows how to get food by herself without me. But I can't just leave my child with someone and I know she's just gonna cry and cry and I'm not gonna intentionally make her miserable. I'm done with it sometimes,but she wants it all the time,so I just give in. I want more children but just not right at this second. I want to plan for it and the month I want to conceive. Not to be surprised. I'm just hoping it is my period that is gonna come soon,eventually....

Thank you wonderful ladies! :X
  • BF didn't stop me from getting pregnant. I just stopped about...a month n a half go only bc my dr said I needed to stop bc it caused cramping. Btw I stopped at 23 months
  • Hi ladies... An update!

I did start my period today. Light cramps so far but a lot of lower back pain. I'm still breast feeding but not making that much milk... It's still light pink blood but there was blood in the toilet as well and I think it's gonna get a lot heavier. So my question:
    How long after you had your babies does your period go for? Like 2-3 days? This is my first after I had my 2nd daughter,16 months later.
  • So I didn't have any tampons at home,so I went to WalMart and its only like 5 minutes away and from the time I left to the time I got to the store and bought my tampons the blood is seriously like extremely heavy. Still no cramps,little back ache,but the blood is so heavy and my underwear are now ruined. I didn't think that it would get heavier today but I guess I was horribly wrong!
    But I'm so happy my period is here and I feel like a "normal" woman again!! Thank you body!!