Update on Elijah

edited October 2013 in Babies Health
Wednesday was Elijahs appointment and we got some not so good news. Elijah had lost an ounce in a one week span. He went from 6lbs 12oz to 6lbs 11oz which means he didn't gaining any weight at all since his last appointment. I'm pissed because I honestly think he has gained some weight but lost it because of the constipation because he was not eating at all on that day and that last Saturday, his naming ceremony, he hardly got to eat because everyone wanted to hold him. SO was constantly taking him away from me. He wasn't getting enough.

So because of his weight loss the doctors gave us another appointment today for a weight check up. I decided to supplement which was the agreement in the first place but we all know how that went. So I supplemented with formula for yesterday and today and he gained 2 ounces the doctors was okay with that and we have another weight check up next week.

I was getting him 1-1.5 to 2oz of formula and 2oz of breast milk. I'm thinking of upping the formula to 2-3oz. I'm still breastfeeding. The doctors want him to reach the 7lb mark and over by his next appointment.

SO and I have only seen each other at the appointments and we speak briefly through text. I did call him today for the baby's wipes and gifts I left at his house from the ceremony. We were more cordial today. He held Elijah and were was able to talk to each other without escalating to an argument.

Right now what's more important is our son and his health.

Comments

• Well one ounce could have been because he are and had poo right before his last appointment. Does hid doctor think it's best to supplement at this point I'm just curious. I would assume must doc would be pro breastfeeding and just say feed as much as possible. But as long as his doing well that's all that matters. I am glad you guys are able to talk about your son yet your still being careful that's very smart. I wish you the best and good news at next appointment.
  • edited October 2013
    @jules: The doctors are very pro-breastfeeding but because my supply is out of whack they suggested I supplement for a week to build up my supply and bring up baby's weight. They still want me to put him on my breast so I won't lose my supply.

Thank you I will keep you uodated.
  • Supplementing will not help build your supply. Only diminish it. I know you want the best for your son, just know that the more you supplement, the more your supply will dwindle. I have nothing against formula I'm just letting you know.
  • Did you tell the doctor about the whole formula problem you and SO had? I mean not the whole thing but the fact that he was fed formula and was constipated and all that? Im no doctor, but im almost 100% sure that everything that went on this past week is why he lost that ounce (which is just an ounce, im sure babies weight fluctuates just like us).

I also don't have anything against formula (i formula feed), and i also understand that the concern now is the health and well-being of your son but like it was mentioned before, im afraid that if you introduce formula that your supply will actually decrease and your son might not get full with breastmilk anymore.

Anyway, like you said, the important thing now is that your son is ok and i hope that he gets to the weight he needs to be at (or what his doctor thinks she should be at). Let us know how the little man is doing :)
  • Well im glad they are pro however I do agree with @perly and @starxoxo9 this will lower your supply I had to supplement because I had issues with mine like you baby bad to eat but my supply only went down. I mean sometimes you have to do what you have to do but it's just weird the doc said to help your supply because thats not possible..if it were me I would have him on the breast as much as possible and pump as much as possible in between and if his still hungry give the formula. I hope your supply goes up. Mine never did just got worst and worst.
  • edited October 2013
    @starrxoxo9, @perly, @jules: The doctor I saw wasn't DS doctor. She wasn't in. I do keep him on my breast and give formula when he's still hungry. I also give him a bottle when my nipples hurt from pumping. I'm gonna talk to a lactation consultant because I think his latch is off here lately he's been only sucking the nipple and that could be why my supply is out of whack.

I'm also mixing formula with breast milk. I told the doctor about SO feeding him formula. SOB gave DS Enfamil Gentlease for gas, fussiness and crying. The doctor recommended Enfamil Newborn for now.

I didn't know supplementing could kill your supply. I'm trying my best to boost it. I'm thinking of giving in and try fenugreek and just deal with the maple syrup smell for a while.
  • well sounds like your doing your best that's the important part. Gentle ease is what I used for Scarlett to supplement I think it really helped I'm sure it will go well with ur lo as well. I think trying fenugreek is very worth it I hook it it helped little but most people it really helps a lot. And you only smell the maple for little bit it does ago away.
  • edited October 2013
    @jules: Okay good because I'm not a fan of maple.
  • Any time you give baby a bottle, make sure you also pump. The body produces on supply and demand and if you're not nursing as long/often as you had been, it goes down. I've had this constant yo-yoing with supply the entire time I've been bfing, so I know your struggle well. Fenugreek helps. The maple syrup smell isn't terrible...but it can make you super gassy. That part is something no one warned me about. Haha You're doing a good job trying to balance. Putting fornula in his bottles of bm is called fortifying. I had to do that with my first son as he was 3lbs at birth (32 weeks). It should help your little man put on some lbs. :)
  • @RTMommy: Thank you. I wish I didn't have to supplement at all. I hate how my supply had weakened and wasn't even for him. Does anybody know the price range of Fenugreek? @jules
  • The only place I can find it is CVS. It runs 9-11$ from what I remember.
  • The best way to build the best supply based on your baby's needs is to exclusively breastfeed. No bottles. No formula. We tend to underestimate what our bodies are capable of, but think about women centuries ago when formula wasn't invented yet. They had no choice, and the human race lived on lol. I know you're worried about your son gaining weight but he will be fine. If you nurse him and he wants more, give him more. That's thename of the game the first few weeks but it will even out and feel less demanding with time. Have a little more faith in mother nature, she won't let you or your baby down :)
  • edited October 2013
    @RTMommy: Thanks it's a CVS a few blocks from my house.

@starrxoxo9: I really want to exclusively breastfeed but I don't think he's getting enough breast milk. In the first two weeks I could pump to two 4oz bottles, now I hardly can get an ounce to 2oz in one session. He used to latch on and drink for as little or long as he wanted to, now he doesn't latch on for long and he only sucks for a few seconds and delatches and cries out like he's starving I put him back and he sucks for awhile and delatch. When he comes towards the breast you can tell he wants it, acting like he hasn't been fed in days, lol. I have looked on websites and watched videos on different latch techniques but none of them seem to work. I don't want to supplement at all. I take my vitamins daily, eat oatmeal, drink water, and Gatorade, eat vegetables, eating 3 meals a day with snacks in between.

One thing could be stress.
  • I got my fenugreek from gnc I think around 15 for a really big bottle and it was buy on get one 50% off check the website. And don't feel bad if you have to supplement be happy your still breastfeeding and not giving up especially with your first I know it can be extra hard. All my first time mom friends and me gave up trying to breastfeed out of confusion my friends gave up less then a month. Just know your still giving your son breast milk which is important even with formula he is getting more then some kids ever get of breast milk. Breastfeeding isn't easy in my opinion and your doing great staying with it and trying to get as much knowledge as possible
  • Thank you @debs. I know of a few FTMs who have given up early too, some as early as two weeks. They have been encouraging me to continued and some wish they would've stuck to it. I know there is nothing wrong with supplementing especially if it is to help my son. I just wish I didn't have to.
  • Oh good hopefully you can get it and it helps. Just continue to pump as much as possible whenever your supplementing. Hopefully it goes up but will be hard since your not exclusively breastfeeding. I was in same situation with my first no matter what I did it didn't go up..I was eating drinking well, taking vitamins, fenugreek, mothers tea all kinds stuff. I have no idea what was going on with my body. By the time 6 months came around I was just way too stressed out about the entire thing that I wasn't even enjoying my lo like I could have been so I stopped everything and she did all formula. For me still I don't regret stopping my life with my daughter and in general became so much more relaxed and she very healthy toddler I know I did best that I could. No matter what happens your doing your best!
  • I know that its frustrating, but if you want to breastfeed and that's truly what you want then don't give up. Its hard, i know it but i made the mistake of giving up. Formula feeding is fine, but you shouldn't resort to it because people are making you feel like you can't breast feed. Keep trying. Seek help. A baby's suckle is more efficient than a breast pump so the more you put him on, the more he'll get and your body will know to produce more.
    The way you started, I KNOW you can do this. It hard but not impossible. If you truly want to breastfeed, please don't give up.

Like i've said before, there's nothing wrong with formula feeding, i feed my son formula, but we all know that breastmilk is best and you still have hope hunn.
  • Supplementing its not gonna boost you what its honna do its send a signs to your body that the baby doesn't need your breast milk and reduce it drastically .... mothers milk tea its very good also there's pill called MORE MILK PLUS they are expensive $25 but the work miracles drink a lot of water daily take your prenatal vitamins for your sore nipples use your onw breast milk and allow to air dry ... %%- %%-
  • Stress will play a huge role. Don't worry about pumping right now. What you pump isn't a good indicator of what he gets anyways because the pump isn't as efficient as his suckle like @perly said. Take it easy and don't stress yourself out. Try doing something relaxing before you feed him. If you're worrying and stressing as your feeding him, he's going to pick up on it and get stressed himself. Then it's just a vicious cycle of stress til you give up and give him a bottle out of frustration. Remember though, babies don't come wih instructions and it's normal to get worried. But you're gonna look back on this time and realize that it's a lot simpler than you're making it.
  • Thank you @jules.

@perly: This has been really stressful for me. Not the breast milk but my sons weight gain and SO pissing me off. Formula isn't bad and if I have to I will with no problem. I think its stress thats why I'm having a hard time.

@2girls_2boys: On the times I supplement I pump. I am going out today and get some supplements to help me out.
  • @starrxoxo9: I was just telling myself that. I need to just let it go. Stop worrying about breastfeeding and formula. Give my baby what he needs which is a happy healthy stress free mommy.
  • What brand of Fenugreek would you recommend? @jules, @debs?
  • You're on the right path. You're a good mommy, do what you feel is right whether that is formula or breastmilk :)
    Good luck and remember we are here for support.
  • If his latch isn't great, that can affect his ability to feed properly which will in turn affect your supply, so if you have got access to a lc then def take advantage. Babies can get lazy with their latch if bottle fed as they don't have to try as hard with a bottle.

Also, know from another post you were going to try getting him on a schedule, don't know if you have started but, if you do want to keep breastfeeding, I personally wouldn't recommend it whilst he's so young & you're having supply issues. Even if you know he's only on the boob for comfort, trying to sleep etc its only going to help your supply & they nurse so much more frequently before a growth spurt as well.

Good luck whatever you decide to do
  • edited October 2013
    @perly: Thank you.

@willothewisp: Thank you. I plan to pump during the hours he sleeps at night. I called the hospital for the lactation consultant and made an appointment for Tuesday.
  • Glad you've got an appt & really hope they can help. Breastfeeding isn't always easy, I had my fair share of problems but if you can get the right support & advice to overcome them, it will get easier.

Please don't think I'm being negative but I don't think pumping at night while he sleeps is the way to go, you need your rest too but I never had to pump so don't know how best to go about it. Hopefully you'll get better advice than I can give on Tuesday.
  • edited October 2013
    Sounds like nipple confusion. Sucking from a bottle take very little effort becausef of gravity. It takes a lot of energy to pull milk from the breast. Sounds like he's getting frustrated because the milk is not coming out as easily, like it does from the bottle. This is why they say not to introduce pacifiers or bottles for at least 6 weeks.

You're breast milk is based on supply and demand and each supplement session you give with formula compromises your supply. You can't compare drawing out milk from pumping from the efficiency of your LO. I could only pump about 2 oz each pumping session and I never had to supplement with formula. If I did I supplemented, it with the breast milk I had pumped. I'm still breastfeeding at 27 months.

Make a list of questions you have. Those around us that are not supportive and believe in myths over fact are the reason why there is such a stigma around breastfeeding, especially in western society. Keep it up, you can do it!
  • I'm sorry I don't remember what brand I had it might have been nature something in the green bottle with yellow writting. But they will all work same its all natural just find one that's highest dosage that way you don't have to take as many in a day. I hope it really works for you and like you said your lo will be great no matter what her needs happy mommy too :) it will be ok no matter what! I'm very proud of you sure isn't easy I know been there.
  • You're not rude at all @willothewisp I appreciate your comment.

@Mijita: Very true. Breastfeeding is the most natural thing yet. Its funny how science have made it into something so complicated. Its no wonder why a lot of FTMs are afraid or worried about it.