Supplementing/Formula Feeding Moms?

edited October 2013 in Formula Feeding
How many ounces are/were your babies chugging? How old is/was your LO? What brand of bottles do/did you use?

Comments

• edited October 2013
    I started around 9months I would do a half a scoop and mix it with breast milk not water that's what my Dr told me to do. The Dr was not pressuring me to supplement but after three months and my sons weight wasn't getting better but for his age getting worse I tried it but he only got 3-4 ounce bottle once a day and the rest of the time breast feed. I did breast milk and formula I never did straight formula didn't want him to lose the taste for my breast milk. I used the tommee tippee bottles that's the breast pump I had so I just used the same bottles
  • Lucian will be 4mo in about a week and he drinks 5-7oz every 2-4 hours. I think that's alot but I give him what he wants. I do think that's a big reason why he sleeps so well at night, because he consumes so much during the day.

We only use Playtex Ventaire bottles, I used them for both my boys and I love them! They have both regular ones and wide nipples for breast fed babies.
  • I had to start supplimenting at 4 months. What I did was breastfeed first for 15 min or so on both sides 30 min total as long as he kept going, hook up to the pump for 30 min and bottle feed while pumping...only 2 oz each feeding anf continued that routine until he refused to nurse at 11 months. We used tommee tippee bottles and didnt have any issues going back and forth until he decided he was done nursing. I was also diligent about setting an alarm for 1am to pump at least one time during the night when he was sleeping through. I also ALWAYS pumped for 30 min or so after EVERY feeding since my supply was not where I would have liked it to be.
    My pedi said that the milk i was producing was more like skim then whole...when i would refridgerate it not much fat would separate to the top.
  • edited October 2013
    I loved the tommee tippee bottles! And they have also been the best sippy cups too! Pedi recommended using target brand gentle formula when supplimenting and it seemed to work well for my son.
  • At you son's age my son was drinking 2-4oz every 2-3hrs. At first we used the similac bottles and then i changed him to the Nuk bottles and have been using those for about 3 months. Adrian will be 5 months on Sunday and he drinks 5-7oz every 2-3hrs. I feed on demand and his growth is doing good.
  • Did Elijah's pedi tell you what kind of formula to use?
  • @perly: Enfamil Newborn. What brand do you use?

@Star4221: I was just a Target to get wipes and I didn't know they had their own bottles.

@ExcitedForOctober: Those are the bottles I have the ones for breastfed babies.

@debs: I heard about those bottles. I'm not too found of them.
  • I use Similac Sensitive.
  • Have you always used Similac? @perly
  • Target doesnt have the up and up brand bottles, just formula. It was a lot cheaper and when comparing labels, exactly the same as name brand.
  • @veevee yes. I did try the Gerber Soy and my son got constipated real bad and that's when he was switched to Similac Sensitive.

We started with Similac Advance which is what they gave him at the hospital but he wasn't pooping as much and he was real fussy (colic) so we were switched to Similac Total Comfort. He did great on that until about 3 months when he started pooping less and projectile vomiting so i was told he had became lactose intolerant so he was switched to Similac Sensitive and we've been on that ever since. He still has the normal spit up which i do worry about but his pedi says its just acid reflux. Adrian is gaining weight like he's supposed to so his doctor is not concerned.
  • @Star4221: Aw okay.

@perly: Okay because I was thinking of switching from Enfamil to Similac.
  • @veevee Similac has a formula called Alimentum which is sensitive to colic and food allergies.

http://m.similac.com/baby-formula/similac-expert-care-alimentum

Here goes the site so you can read a little more on it. It sounds like its a more sensitive formula and it might be good for your baby's tummy (im saying this so the transition from breastmilk to formula can be as gentle as possible for him).
  • You don't get WIC? If you do or are planning on getting it then you shouldn't switch to Similac, they only give Enfamil.
  • Enfamil has a formula called Gentle Ease which is basically the same thing I think. I gave that one to my now 2yr old when he was a baby and was constipated, worked really well for us.
  • @perly: Thanks.

@ExcitedForOctober: No I don't have WIC yet. I know WIC only gives Enfamil which sucks. The Gentle Ease is what made DS constipated when SO gave it to him.
  • You should get it, you will end up spending about $200/month on formula if u don't, its a life saver. Why haven't u got it?
  • They told me I had to wait until I had him to get it. Which I thought was odd. I am going to their office this Monday to apply.
  • Yeah, they must not know what they are doing at that office. I'm sure you will get it.
  • @ExcitedForOctober: They don't my cousin has expressed many times how she hates that office.
  • You can go to another office. My bff lives in Bolingbrook and she drives to where I live to go to that office since they are really cool there.
  • Where is your office located.
  • Roosevelt and Austin, I believe that's the suburb of Oak Park
  • 708-445-3314...that's their phone number.
  • We use gentlease and nuk bottles. He may have gotten constipated from it because he wasn't used to the formula.

It's funny that wic in your state only gives enfamil I just called in Arizona to get on it and I have to switch to smilac cuz that's all they cover here.
  • edited October 2013
    @MorgDeeBee I guess different states do things differently. Most of the people I know who had/have WIC preferred Similac and would sell the WIC coupons or whatever their called for cash. Most of the people I know who never got WIC preferred Similac. I know very few people who like Enfamil.

I think that's the reason why he got constipated too. That and the fact that it was cold, not room temperature or warmed up, but cold. Because he take well to the Enfamil Newborn.
  • I prefer enfamil, smilac always made my oldest constipated so I just stuck with it with my my 5 month old. Hopefully you fond something that works. I used enfamil newborn then switched to gentlease. I also saw a new one the other day that was enfamil for supplimenting.