Please Help!

edited October 2013 in Sleep
My 2 yr old will not sleep unless he's touching me (holding my hand, rubbing my cheek). He wakes up everyday at 2am and will not go back to sleep in his own bed. I'm lost on what to do now.

Comments

• I know a lot of people might not like or agree to this. Have you tried sleeping with him at night sometimes to help him.
  • My two year old craves stimulation, sounds like yours does too. She slides each of her fingers in between my fingers whenever I'm near her. She's done it since she was about 9 months I'd say. I put a cot (myCot from Walmart) next to my bed and let her hold my hand until she falls asleep, then I put her in her bed. She just recently got her own bed though, so we're still transitioning.
  • I lay with him to sleep every night, then being him to my bed when he wakes up at 2am. I'm trying to beak him of that. He used to lay down in hid own and go right to sleep, but about 2 months ago that all changed. @veevee
  • @Fate he constantly has to be next to me. Sitting on the couch, he wraps his arm around mine or rubs my cheek.
  • Try what Fate said or stay with him until he goes back to sleep at 2AM. Spray a stuffed animal with your body spray or something with your scent and put it next to him or in his arms before you get out of his bed.
  • @veevee I've tried laying back down with him in his bed at 2am, but he doesn't fully go back to sleep. He wakes up when I try to sneak out. I'm so stressed out. I just want my baby to get a full, restful nights sleep.
  • Try the stuff a animal trick.
  • @veevee ok. I'll try that tonight
  • Mine is the same way. We literally call her "Velcro Baby". I love it, but with me only having 3 months until my due date, I have no choice but to teach her independence or she'll have a chance of being overly jealous if I do it cold turkey when the baby comes and think I suddenly am pushing her away just because there's a new baby around. All of my husband's family makes fun of her for doing the finger stimulation thing, they think all kids should do their own thing and are against attachment parenting. Like babies are supposed to come out of the womb with independence. I know that has nothing to do with this thread, but he just might still need you there for his own confidence. If I could, I'd let Corri sleep with me for as long as she wanted.
  • @Fate I'd love for Jack to sleep with me forever, but my husband complains and we all lose sleep
  • My two year goes to sleep on his own in his own bed and at about 2-3 am he comes in my bed. My husband hates it, I don't really care. He doesn't even cry, he just gets up and comes right in, a lot of times we don't notice until we go to move and there he is. It has been like this for the past couple months and I don't plan to change it until my husband absolutely makes me haha. I secretly love sleeping with him, my oldest never did so I kinda want to keep my baby a baby. Plus I don't think it is an attachment issue, its more the bed, sometimes if I can't get comfy with him in there I go sleep in his bed or my husband will go sleep on the couch and he doesn't care he just stretches out further as if he is thankful to have my bed to himself. Does he nap on his own or with you? Maybe you could start with those?
  • @My2Boys he naps in his own bed. I sit beside him until he falls asleep. Tonight Jack fell asleep on his own, in his bed. I had to let him cry for a few mins(which I hate to do, but I had to get my 5 yr old ready). Then I went in and sat for a min. I asked him if he wanted water. I told him I'd be right back and not to get up. He didn't. I came back after 5 mins(with water), sat down for a min, then again told him I'd be right back after I got Connor in bed. He didn't get up again...he fell asleep! I hope by him falling asleep on his own, he stays asleep all night
  • edited October 2013
    He still woke up at 2am, but wasn't screaming as usually. I still brought him in my bed because I love the snuggles. I have to break him of that this week before my husband gets home from his pre deployment workup.
  • Good luck and just try to stay strong